Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s possible he put the magnet board next to his magnet collection and they moved themselves
giphy.gif

Love it how he doesn't over celebrate the wins or dwell on the losses too much. That is twice this year we have bounced back emphatically from a bad loss.

Look at how Port massively over celebrated their win against the Saints.

The clasic "Nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems". builds resilience.

Scott knows there is still much work to be done but must be rapt with the response.

He’s done great things for this club. Second time around he brings new knowledge and mindset. Applying his own learnings at efc.
Some may not be happy with team selections or player positions but he’s transforming the team week by week year by year. Last night was another step fwd.

After the early Pies run-on I thought Scott’s coaching shone through. It wasn’t the fact that we outplayed them so much but more the fact that the players are showing a real trust in sticking to the game-plan until you regain momentum. Collingwood had no answers once we got into the game. Excellent coverage out of congestion was a highlight making it very difficult for Collingwood’s playmakers to get easy space to charge forward on the burst. We still need to work out how best to close out a game when momentum teams come at you. If we can consistently win these by 5 goals rather than nervously hold on we will be contenders. But the fact that we are holding on and are developing a way to win is a big tick for Brad’s overall coaching philosophy.

I give Brad a hard time but playing Jones on the wing in the last few weeks has been an outstanding move. It suits his skillset so well, makes the team better, and he's clearly getting a lot of confidence out of it too.

In a way, it might also help him become a much better key forward down the track too. Much harder to be a key forward at the start of your career, might be easier in a few years when he's stronger and feels like he belongs at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has coached really well this year.

Use of sub is poor, as waits a little to long and is a little to loyal to some. Goldy, heppel, kelly, perkins, laverde, cox/jones.

Loyalty to 2 rucks plus Peter.

Everything else has been really really good. I can see the point of difference that we are building. In many instances the loyalty or patience to work through the growing pains has paid off.

Martin hbf - stuck through the defensive issues that are now much improved. Still not his best position but a ridley contingency and increases flexibility of the team.

Caldwell and durham as the heart of our midfield. Merret is the star but these two set the scene. Midfield is there's. As Merret would star anywhere.

Jonesy and dursma on wings. Cox as rotation. Having Cox and Jones on wings poses match up problems/flexibility that many other teams will struggle with. I thought Jones against Josh daicos was pivotal with jones marking exploiting a all Australian wingmans weakness.

Cox building into the poor man blicavs. Difficult wing match up, can cover kpd or half forward in emergency and can also pinch hit ruck relief so we can then play 1 ruck plus Wright.

Even kelly/heppel as defensive wingman works at times to allow Martin to do his thing. Kelly occassionally spending time on the wing hasn't been the disaster I thought it would be.

None of these moves are the finished product and still a lot of areas for cox/jones/Martin/durham and caldwell to work on. However, I can see our flexibility and difficulty in match ups being the point of difference over other sides. Moves that should have us up there in a year or two.

Jones, Cox, duursma and durham height and/or marking ability around the ground is something we have really been lacking in the last few years.

I highly doubted they would work but showing signs that definitely worth persisting with. So even when selection etc isn't to my liking, Scott has shown he knows what he is doing so we need to have faith.

Last edited:
Has coached really well this year.

Use of sub is poor, as waits a little to long and is a little to loyal to some. Goldy, heppel, kelly, perkins, laverde, cox/jones.

Loyalty to 2 rucks plus Peter.

Everything else has been really really good. I can see the point of difference that we are building. In many instances the loyalty or patience to work through the growing pains has paid off.

Martin hbf - stuck through the defensive issues that are now much improved. Still not his best position but a ridley contingency and increases flexibility of the team.

Caldwell and durham as the heart of our midfield. Merret is the star but these two set the scene. Midfield is there's. As Merret would star anywhere.

Jonesy and dursma on wings. Cox as rotation. Having Cox and Jones on wings poses match up problems/flexibility that many other teams will struggle with. I thought Jones against Josh daicos was pivotal with jones marking exploiting a all Australian wingmans weakness.

Cox building into the poor man blicavs. Difficult wing match up, can cover kpd or half forward in emergency and can also pinch hit ruck relief so we can then play 1 ruck plus Wright.

Even kelly/heppel as defensive wingman works at times to allow Martin to do his thing. Kelly occassionally spending time on the wing hasn't been the disaster I thought it would be.

None of these moves are the finished product and still a lot of areas for cox/jones/Martin/durham and caldwell to work on. However, I can see our flexibility and difficulty in match ups being the point of difference over other sides. Moves that should have us up there in a year or two.

Jones, Cox, duursma and durham height and/or marking ability around the ground is something we have really been lacking in the last few years.

I highly doubted they would work but showing signs that definitely worth persisting with. So even when selection etc isn't to my liking, Scott shown he knows what he is doing so need to have faith.
Need to also remember that Blicavs was a poor man’s Blicavs at Cox’s age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back