Menu on the left hand side of the screen...

Remove this Banner Ad

Be my guest.

True, but without ads there is no way we could run a site that has 35,000 regular users and 1-2,000 people on at any one time.

I see the negative response from people, and I'm gathering information on slower page load times to see how or if that can be mitigated. I will, however, ignore posts like "I hate u get rid of it u owe me a free site wif no adz!!!111".

The side nav has only been up for two days. Give me some time to try to get a win for everyone.

I am no computer expert. But there are tonnes of ads on this site already.

Two up top, ads by google, then another ad at the bottom.

How can that not be paying the bills?

I wonder how much it costs to run a site like this every year? Maybe $30/year for the bulletin board software renewal fee (extra $300 per year for phone support if you so require). Maybe $100/month for hosting on American servers. So there's... say... AUD $1500 per year?
I'm not going to discuss specifics because it isn't my place. But in the end you're way off.

We're working on the reported slow loading times.

As I said I've personally tried to reproduce the reported issue but no luck so far. IE does load more slowly, but not 30-40 seconds on my machine.

A couple of years ago when Server Load messages were chronic everyone foretold the death of BigFooty. The guys fixed those issues and I have no worries that they'll fix this issue.

I seriously doubt you need up to 4 ads on a single page to keep BigFooty alive. I have seen forums with the same level with users/posts activity and they have not gone to the point of wreaking the site with ads.

BigFooty is a example of a bad site run by people who clearly have no understanding or care for their members. They know they can abuse their position and get away with it because there's no other AFL forums of this size. Forums of over 20 million posts have one ad at the most. Whirlpool has zero ads and their admin and moderators are well drilled and very good at their job.

But hey, keep on mistreating the members and turning a blind eye.

I'm not going to discuss specifics because it isn't my place. But in the end you're way off.

I hope that, if I'm 'way off', it's because I am omitting some necessary part of running a site like this that costs a mint.

I mean, I'm no IT expert (I understand that you are, so I will take your word for it if I am wrong) but it seems that the figures I gave couldn't be too far off.

Take a look at this mob I found with a quick google search:

Hosting

Surely their plans meet your needs?

I don't recall you ever having respect for BF or its administrators.

This thread isn't the place for extensive tutorials on how to block out the ads that keep this site alive.
True, this thread, and indeed this board is asking people on how to actually improve the BigFooty website, apparently you don't like to listen though, if you get a thread that has currently had 336 post's in it, 90% of those being against this sidebar/ad, then shouldn't you listen, if you want to put another ad on this website to up your revenue then do it another way, don't take up these threads space just to make a few extra dollars, this website would hardly seice to exist if you lost one ad, there is already another 3 on the page!

True, this thread, and indeed this board is asking people on how to actually improve the BigFooty website, apparently you don't like to listen though, if you get a thread that has currently had 336 post's in it, 90% of those being against this sidebar/ad, then shouldn't you listen, if you want to put another ad on this website to up your revenue then do it another way, don't take up these threads space just to make a few extra dollars, this website would hardly seice to exist if you lost one ad, there is already another 3 on the page!

90%???

You're in a generous mood.

Take away Chief and some of his clearly-biased goons, and it is closer to 99% - the other 1% being well-versed in satire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90%???

You're in a generous mood.

Take away Chief and some of his clearly-biased goons, and it is closer to 99% - the other 1% being well-versed in satire.

Jeez this is pretty far off the "thanks for helping to save North Melbourne Chief" posts of a month ago.

Cheers mate. Love you too.

I think Chief, the most stable genius,y wants a hug.

Come ere mate! It all right ... Let it out ... thaaaats it .... its ok....

Jeez this is pretty far off the "thanks for helping to save North Melbourne Chief" posts of a month ago.

Cheers mate. Love you too.
So why do you then choose to ignore the post's from your paying/non-paying members?

Especially paying...

OK, it's been on the left. The public didn't like it.

It's been on the right. The public still didn't like it.

How about putting it down the bottom?

Give the bloke a break.

Yes, it's crap. Yes, we don't like it.

But he's already said its here to stay, so abusing him isn't going to make a difference.

FWIW, I'm starting to get used to it already.

I think Chief, the most stable genius,y wants a hug.

Come ere mate! It all right ... Let it out ... thaaaats it .... its ok....
Thing is it's all "love the site i come here every day it is the best footy site ever thanks for creating and running it it is awesome thanks for helping save our footy club i'm in your debt".

Side bar added. IE doesn't become a less-shit browser.

"OH MY GOD I HATE YOU AND I HATE THIS SITE AND I WILL NEVER COME BACK HERE HATE HATE HATE HATE YOU IDIOT ____ER BASTARD w***er ____ YOU SUCK THIS SITE IS RUINED MY WHOLE LIFE IS RUINED AND I HOPE THIS SITE DIES THE HORRIBLE DEATH IT DESERVES LISTEN TO ME WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN TO ME WWAARWGARGRGARAGRAGARGARARAAAAAARRRRRR I AM NEVER COMING BACK ____ YOU AND YOUR DOG AND YOUR HORSE AND I HOPE YOUR HOUSE BURNS DOWN AND BRING BACK THE ____ING **** FOR SWEAR WORDS THE ____ LOOKS LAME YOU arseh*le

PS: EVERYONE VISIT MY SITE I HAVE POSTED AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR IT IN MY SIG THANKS"

So pardon me if I'm trying to find practical ideas that fit with the needs of the site while trying to ignore the emotional rants and impractical suggestions. Cheers mate. :thumbsu:

trying to find practical ideas

there's a system at ign.com where every x page loads the page is an ad. You wait for the ad to load, the click next to get to the page you initially wanted. Practical?

Remove this Banner Ad

Menu on the left hand side of the screen...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back