Merged Delistings/Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agree with you here B#1. No way would I give up a 2nd rounder for another injury prone player, 3rd rounder though and it would definitely be worth the risk.

Swap our 2nd with our 3rd and we have a deal. I do not want to give up our first two picks this year unless it is for an out and out gun. Prismall only got a 3rd rounder.

Be careful about any trade for Jesse Smith.

As much as I love him as a player, my understanding is that he has a degenerative ankle condition.

Tread warily.

I actually agree with you here B#1. No way would I give up a 2nd rounder for another injury prone player, 3rd rounder though and it would definitely be worth the risk.

Exactly. The first 40 in this draft will still be top class, after that it is apparently weaker so that is in the 3rd/4th round level. Smith has ankle/soft tissue injuries so he is not a player I'd be banking on playing every week. But at the right price (and the risk analysis has been done) then Smith for a mid-late 3rd rounder is a good deal. Remember Prismall went 3rd round and there was more upside in him as that was his first major injury.

Given our recent history with injuries i just don't see how importing an injury prone player from another club is such a good idea.

As for some of the trade deals put up. Maybe the thread should be how to overate players and try and rip off other clubs.:D

I will give you an informed tip on this draft.

KP players pool is shallow. If you are taking KP players from mid second round and up then they will be "project" players.

Midfield/small def/small forwards. Pool is not bad with some good players at the top end. Finding gold with 3rd round or later could be a real art form this year.

The ruck stocks are thin with a few reasonable prospects and then plenty of project types.

The overall disposal efficiencies of the midfielders during the Champs was slightly disapointing compared to the last few years with a lot of players between 65% to 75% and not a lot pushing up into the 80% area.

It will be worse next year with GC picking 12 17 year olds born between 1.1.92 and 30.4.92 this year plus having multiple first round picks next year. They will have picked the eyes out of the older players eligable for next years draft.
To top that off the vic Metro squad does not look it will be all that strong with the under 16 side performing poorly at this years 16's Champs.

I can see sides keeping their first rounders but maybe looking to deal second or third round picks for the right deal. I can also see a lot of clubs only using the minimum 3 picks this year so some top/strong clubs may look to trade a fringe player to upgrade their picks into the second round ie player x and 3rd round pick for a 2nd round pick to give them 1 x first round and 2 x second round.

Finally clubs are on the lookout for players with skills. This has been reflected in the players recrutiers are having a closer look at this year.
So don't think your average skilled fringe players, for example Jay Nash, will be overly attractive to other clubs.

Thats a bit of gap... :D

Do know if we are interested?

Well the TAC Cup finals are yet to be played and in recent years there have been plenty move up a number of spots:)
The gap is only mid first round to mid second round.

I'd love to get Jesse Smith on board as well.

Also, I think we should seriously consider a key forward (as for who, I have no idea) with our first pick. Given the lack of depth in the tall end of the draft, and the gap we have on our list with neither Neagle or Gumbleton any guarantee to get their bodies right, I think that it makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't say no to a top class mid, though.

I will give you an informed tip on this draft.

KP players pool is shallow. If you are taking KP players from mid second round and up then they will be "project" players.

Ant (or other posters in the know) -- I see that Butcher's stocks have fallen a little of recent times while other (esp midfield) prospects have risen a touch. Any chance of the boy sliding 5>10???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance of the boy sliding 5>10???

I'm not Ant, but I would be ultra surprised if Butcher was picked up after pick 5. He's a lock-in being drafted before pick 5 from my angle.

Main board has a thread about trading Davey...

I've suggested our Pick 8 for Aaron Davey and their priority pick 18.

I think it's win/win all round.
And you would've been laughed at. There is no way Melbourne would do this, saying that I could only dream of two Davey's running around in red & black

Main board has a thread about trading Davey...

I've suggested our Pick 8 for Aaron Davey and their priority pick 18.

I think it's win/win all round.

Ari.gif

:p:p:p

But seriously that is a terrible deal for Melbourne, an absolute steal to be exact, and why the hell would we have pick 8?

Why is it so bad for the Demons?

It means they lose Davey but can pick the eyes out of the draft with 1, 3, 8.

They way they are going they'll likely win less than 4 next year and would be in pole position to get another 2 top 10 picks. Their list is miles away from anything.

They are where Carlton were at about 04. They need to start stockpiling on midfielders and KP's.

Why is it so bad for the Demons?

It means they lose Davey but can pick the eyes out of the draft with 1, 3, 8.

They way they are going they'll likely win less than 4 next year and would be in pole position to get another 2 top 10 picks. Their list is miles away from anything.

They are where Carlton were at about 04. They need to start stockpiling on midfielders and KP's.

For one Davey has been exceptional this year and very close to elite. IMO he is worth more than pick 8 by himself, let alone pick 18 on top. He is only just 26, so will most likely be around by the time Melbourne are in finals again.

Add Scully and Trengove/Butcher to their list and they won't need more really low draft picks. FWIW they are nowhere near Carlton in 04 more like us in 06.

Bad for us as well, we get a guy who is best off the half back/midfield. We have those players (yes not as good but still they do the same job). I am not giving our top 10 pick for Aaron Davey just to fullfil Kelvin's wet dream of having two Davey's. If it was for a gun midfielder (All Australian class at least), then maybe. I'd rather take our chances with Koby Stevens, etc from the draft.

Bad for us as well, we get a guy who is best off the half back/midfield. We have those players (yes not as good but still they do the same job). I am not giving our top 10 pick for Aaron Davey just to fullfil Kelvin's wet dream of having two Davey's. If it was for a gun midfielder (All Australian class at least), then maybe. I'd rather take our chances with Koby Stevens, etc from the draft.

FFS.

You'd 'maybe' give up a top 10 pick for a AA mid. That would be required in any deal for a class midfielder.

I would but I am talking a dead set gun midfielder, think Daniel Kerr's class. Davey is a peg behind, plus has played his best footy setting up off half back pushing into the middle. Not sure that is really worth a top 10 pick. Yes he is a great player but is he really much better than Dempsey or McVeigh at doing exactly that. He probably is fractionally better but is that worth a top 10 pick? Not in my books. If this was a genuine midfielder then lets talk.

Actually Davey plays best forward of centre but plays behind the ball for a few reasons.

1. To help Davey break tags, by giving him space to run into.
2. Melbourne have very few players with pace and footskills to set up leading forwards.
3. Melbourne are fairly crap and he would rarely see the ball if played forward.

That's pretty stupid. Even top ten picks aren't guaranteed gun players. I would give up a first round pick every day of the week for an AA player.

Aaron Davey would be worth more then what Kelvin suggested. I would put up

A.Davey/3rd round or 4th round for our 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back