Merged Delistings/Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Ant, but I would be ultra surprised if Butcher was picked up after pick 5. He's a lock-in being drafted before pick 5 from my angle.

Agree. Although he did not have an exceptional champ series he still did some very good work in patches.
Just can't see him slipping too far as he is still the best player in the tall (195cm plus)forward group.

Actually Davey plays best forward of centre but plays behind the ball for a few reasons.

1. To help Davey break tags, by giving him space to run into.
2. Melbourne have very few players with pace and footskills to set up leading forwards.
3. Melbourne are fairly crap and he would rarely see the ball if played forward.

So we give up a first rounder for a guy who has play behind the ball to break tags. Just no. Waste of our first rounder

Actually Davey plays best forward of centre but plays behind the ball for a few reasons.

1. To help Davey break tags, by giving him space to run into.
2. Melbourne have very few players with pace and footskills to set up leading forwards.
3. Melbourne are fairly crap and he would rarely see the ball if played forward.

So we give up a first rounder for a guy who has play behind the ball to break tags. Just no. Waste of our first rounder

Yeah Jonesy.... Kepler Bradley, Jordan Russell & JON never had to play behind the ball to break tags :rolleyes:

If a player is worthy of tagging (even at Melbourne) that tells you a fair bit about them IMO. He would either rip it up at Essendon without a tag; or would attract a tag and free up one of our better mids to dominate in the process.

Let me say this bluntly..he is not a GENUINE MIDFIELDER. That is my biggest problem. We need a gun midfielder, and I'd rather a Koby Stevens, etc in the draft than draft someone who has only played parts of games in the midfield.

Let me say this bluntly..he is not a GENUINE MIDFIELDER. That is my biggest problem. We need a gun midfielder, and I'd rather a Koby Stevens, etc in the draft than draft someone who has only played parts of games in the midfield.

You do understand that not every player in the top 10 makes it - in fact quite a few end up being busts and the majority end up being average.

Aaron Davey not worth a top 10 pick is almost as laughable as the people who thought Lovett wasn't worth a first rounder (minimum) last year.

PS : Davey is a gun midfielder. Stevens most probably won't be (how many games have you seen him play in by the way ?)

You do understand that not every player in the top 10 makes it - in fact quite a few end up being busts and the majority end up being average.

Aaron Davey not worth a top 10 pick is almost as laughable as the people who thought Lovett wasn't worth a first rounder (minimum) last year.

PS : Davey is a gun midfielder. Stevens most probably won't be (how many games have you seen him play in by the way ?)

We have enough Aaron Davey types- yes they may not be as good as him but still they play his role. If we were talking about a Dal Santo or someone in that class then we'll talk. I just don't see Aaron Davey a great fit for Essendon. Is he worth a top 10- in most years probably. In the last uncompromised draft, no way. I'd rather grab a gun midfielder with our top pick than trade for Davey. Put it this way if we have pick 7-9 and miss out on a Joel Selwood type player I'll be filthy!:thumbsdown:

Should we look at Mark Blake?

The opinion of him doesn't seem to be very high at the moment but I think we should seriously look at him. It seems the Cats are not so keen on him with Mumford taking his place. However, we have an aging Hille who next year who isn't likely to be the player he once was at least for the next season. There is Ryder who has done very well but is still an inexperienced ruck. If we could get him for a 3rd round pick, I think we could do worse than get Blake, a decent tap ruckman for support. Thoughts? Are there better options while we wait for Bellchambers and Bock to develop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Should we look at Mark Blake?

I'm not ready to give up on Laycock just yet, or Bellchambers for that matter. Hille has a little bit to go yet, and we all know now what we can expect from Ryder.

Nahhh ... this season is just a "freak" season in terms of injuries to ruckmen. Hooker is doing ok as second-choice ruckmen, but even then, bellchambers ain't far away.

Hille and Laycock (who i think is getting better gradually) will serve us well next season. Hille may be ageing but he's still got the body to tackle the rucking.

Nahhh ... this season is just a "freak" season in terms of injuries to ruckmen. Hooker is doing ok as second-choice ruckmen, but even then, bellchambers ain't far away.

Hille and Laycock (who i think is getting better gradually) will serve us well next season. Hille may be ageing but he's still got the body to tackle the rucking.

You named Hooker, Bellchambers, Laycock and Hille... but not Ryder :D

Most teams would have a maximun 2 or 3 players who are woth a Top 10 pick.

I doubt that Melbourne has any !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back