Michael Voss vs. Luke Hodge

Who is the better player and captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. If Judd had if played at his peak for longer then yeah it would have merit. Unfortunately Judd was never the same at after he left WC. OP ruined him

If Judd played at his WCE peak for longer he would have left Voss in his dust, along most players who've played the game. As it stands, he was still one of the games very best at Cartlon. I'd have him ahead of Voss in my ratings, but I can see some wouldn't. This WCE peak though is irrelevant. Had Judd kept that up for his career he'd have arguably been the best to have ever played.

If Judd played at his WCE peak for longer he would have left Voss in his dust, along most players who've played the game. As it stands, he was still one of the games very best at Cartlon. I'd have him ahead of Voss in my ratings, but I can see some wouldn't. This WCE peak though is irrelevant. Had Judd kept that up for his career he'd have arguably been the best to have ever played.

Nah even at his best I doubt he'd be up there with Carey, Abletts, Lockett, Mattews, Hayden Bunton, but I guess we'll never know. There's been plenty of players who could've been greats but cut down by injury. I always thought Schwarz could've been special but he did his knee three times.

Then again you can't underestimate a players ability to play through injury. Carey shoulders were pretty much ruined but he still remained a dominate player and even more amazingly adapted his marking to compensate not being able to lift his arms above his head.

Judd is a bit like this, he was an explosive mid who would use his bursts out of the contest as his main weapon. After he got OP he adapted his game to a more of an extractor role. That in intself is extraodany if you think about it.

Judd & Voss are on the same level, both class personified.

Hodge is good, but at least a level below Judd & Voss.

Voss is clearly above them both unless you looking with Hawthorn biased eyes for Hodge or Eagles/Carlton biased eyes for Judd. I am a Carlton supporter and rate Judd very highly, but seriously Voss is best midfielder of last 20 years.
Hodge to be honest has become more of half back/flanker player that can play in midfield when needed but actually his number one role is being the general on field leader orchestrating where others need to be in back half. His midfield ability in itself is not in Judd class but his leadership makes up the difference for overall value as a player.

Mathews wins hands down as the most overrated player ever imo. Great champion but it's laughable to think he should be in the same conversation as players like Carey and the Abletts.

Yeah this.

Playing 300 odd games (half as a rover, the other half as a FP) kicking 915 goals and winning the B+F 8 times in probably the greatest team of all time

:drunk:

Yeah this.

Playing 300 odd games (half as a rover, the other half as a FP) kicking 915 goals and winning the B+F 8 times in probably the greatest team of all time

:drunk:

Josh Gibson has won two of the last three B&F's in one of the greatest teams of all time, can he make it three in four years and threaten the all time greats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss as a player and Hodge as a Captain.
What does Hodge do that Voss didn't?

I'd suggest Voss impacted his team more and more consistently as a captain than Hodge (on and off the field).

Hodge is a great player, but in all honesty, I don't see him as a greatly better captain than some of the current AFL captains. Especially after his drink driving incident. The hawks response was laughable.

Nice try. Voss coming into the defense of a mate. Kinda backs up the Voss being a better leader argument.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-on-lions-brawl/story-e6freoof-1111115861149

Craig Lambert and Simon Black are the most peaceful men in the AFL. If you're going to suggest they started a fight, you're dreaming and the evidence backs that up.

Drink driving >>>>>>>>>> defending a mate who just got assaulted. As I said, nice try:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Nice try. Voss coming into the defense of a mate. Kinda backs up the Voss being a better leader argument.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-on-lions-brawl/story-e6freoof-1111115861149

Craig Lambert and Simon Black are the most peaceful men in the AFL. If you're going to suggest they started a fight, you're dreaming and the evidence backs that up.

Drink driving >>>>>>>>>> defending a mate who just got assaulted. As I said, nice try:thumbsdown:
Nice try, punching someone else is never acceptable, let alone kicking what a dog act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss vs. Luke Hodge

Back