Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

We do but were Malthouse and Bolton the correct choices in the first place?

Teague, I would have kept for another year to see how he went. If he failed, then we would have had the option of Clarko or Lyon.

I’m not against Voss, far from it but this team has the talent to be top 4 but if I’m being overly optimistic then say top 8.

What happens if we capitulate in the next 4 weeks?

Remember our President said the expectation was finals in 2022.

What has me baffled was we we were unstoppable at times last year… this year we just look timid and slow, what the hell has changed?
It is beyond wild that people are saying things like keep Teague for another year or would he be better than Voss etc.

Teague did real damage to the place, not just the players.

Voss almost needs to work because if he doesn't then it's an admission by the club that we've failed a generation of players.

4 coaches in 7 years does very little to support the growth of a team and it'd be fair to suggest that how good a player on the list is, is far more due to their own natural ability rather than how the club has actually developed as players as part of a system.
That’s the way our club has operated for decades. I don’t mind the sacking part. What I hate is that we haven’t got the right person in since bloody Parkin!

The last thing we need is the team all doing handstands after a goal! It’s hard enough training them to do an effective inside 50 kick let alone teaching them circus tricks 😂

handstand narcoleptic gymnast GIF by Leroy Patterson

I told this story once. I went to our game against Brisbane in 2001 when we beat them by 74 points. Well, at the end of the game the players were walking around the boundary line in front of the supporters and my mate yells out “No handstand for you, blonde boy!” when Akermanis was right in front of us. Brisbane won 16 games in a row and the 3-peat after that.

Moral of the story is maybe we should call Akermanis in to teach the players handstands and my mate is a legend for contributing massively to Collingwood and * Grand Final losses.

I'm seeing some worrying similarities to his time in Brisbane.

In his tenure there they also had an instant sugar hit, making it into finals in year 1, things looked good. However, a closer look shows they were top 4 at rd 10 then ended up limping into finals, winning 3 of their last 7 to make it. Going into yr 2 it fell apart fairly quickly after the first month or so and they never reached that first ~10 weeks of form again.

Well that feels eerily similar to us last season, only difference was we didn't fall over the line to make finals, but rather just short. Top 4 at rd 10/mid-season but finished even worse than Bris in 09 - only 1 win and a draw in the last 7 weeks. Early signs this yr show, similarly to Brisbane, no signs of that first ~10 weeks of form returning.

We do but were Malthouse and Bolton the correct choices in the first place?

Teague, I would have kept for another year to see how he went. If he failed, then we would have had the option of Clarko or Lyon.

I’m not against Voss, far from it but this team has the talent to be top 4 but if I’m being overly optimistic then say top 8.

What happens if we capitulate in the next 4 weeks?

Remember our President said the expectation was finals in 2022.

What has me baffled was we we were unstoppable at times last year… this year we just look timid and slow, what the hell has changed?
You get the thinking behind Malthouse but in retrospect we were perhaps quick on Ratten and Malthouse was probably not motivated to coach us for the right reasons. Costly mistake.

I think Bolton was very much the right man for the job at the time and did a wonderful job teaching the boys a certain level of professionalism which you can still see shades of today. Cripps turned his career around under him, McKay famously was a pet project of Bolton and has paid off in spades. I think ultimately he wasn't the coach to take us where we wanted to go but he was the perfect coach for us to go through a rebuild with at the time.

I don't view Bolton as a failure - the failure has been from the club taking the next step after him and it's a failure we've made a couple of times.

You can either blame the coaching staff for a lack of system, or blame the player for a lack a talent and execution.

I personally blame the system.

The fact of the matter is it is what we are doing, and what we have done since round 8 last year is categorically not working.

If the coach wants to come out and say we are doing a lot of thing right and just not executing on certain skill, the I was suggest the system does not stack up.
It is very clear to see that the players are confused and the players are risk averse. Our transition from the backline is the worst its been in 20 years.
No AFL clubs system can rely on winning a 50/50 contested mark on the half back flank/wing to be able to break through a zone.
We look to leave the backline in single lane transition 90% of the time.
Yes it is correct that players are not creating option up the ground.. Is this the result of the players being lazy? I don't think so. The ball carriers do not even look, the plays are set, we clearly have a directive not to change lanes, change angles, take risks.
If you do this for long enough then it will results in what we have now. A very stagnant game plan that relies on an act of individual brilliance to break the stalemate.
that talk was that the players contributed to the design of the system, obviously it's on the head coach and the entire football dept if the plan doesn't work but can you comment if the outcome is the co-design or if the players vision of their talent has been misapplied?

that talk was that the players contributed to the design of the system, obviously it's on the head coach and the entire football dept if the plan doesn't work but can you comment if the outcome is the co-design or if the players vision of their talent has been misapplied?
Interesting, can't really see any member of our team (bar maybe Doc) who could end up in coaching, or is super tactically inclined. Nekminit LOB is a 5 time premiership coach.

In his tenure there they also had an instant sugar hit, making it into finals in year 1, things looked good. However, a closer look shows they were top 4 at rd 10 then ended up limping into finals, winning 3 of their last 7 to make it. Going into yr 2 it fell apart fairly quickly after the first month or so and they never reached that first ~10 weeks of form again.

Well that feels eerily similar to us last season, only difference was we didn't fall over the line to make finals, but rather just short. Top 4 at rd 10/mid-season but finished even worse than Bris in 09 - only 1 win and a draw in the last 7 weeks. Early signs this yr show, similarly to Brisbane, no signs of that first ~10 weeks of form returning.

Absolutely. The Voss sugar hit was over half way through last year. The grim reality he’s still crazy Vossy is all that remains.

Amazing analysis !

Not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, I know, I know… but really, we came to a critical sliding doors moment for us 18 months ago….and… picked Vossy instead of Ross! Apparently Ross messed with our “respect” round … instead of picking the proven performer seems we picked the booby-prize. Pretty sure we would be in a way better position today if we went with our first choice. In the words of jack Kerouac - “1st choice = best choice” . This moment in time could haunt us for years…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, I know, I know… but really, we came to a critical sliding doors moment for us 18 months ago….and… picked Vossy instead of Ross! Apparently Ross messed with our “respect” round … instead of picking the proven performer seems we picked the booby-prize. Pretty sure we would be in a way better position today if we went with our first choice. In the words of jack Kerouac - “1st choice = best choice” . This moment in time could haunt us for years…

Here is an equally clever statement for you to consider - think Vossy would punch Rossy's lights out with both hands tied behind his back.

Does make you wonder... our club for the last 22-ish years is one big sliding door moment sadly.

Ross is a proven instant success deliverer.... he has that uncanny ability to transform players to fill any missing pieces/voids/injuries within a list. Tactically proven (albeit leans more to a drab game style but look at how we're playing ATM compared to Saints) and tends to unite the football group from players to coaches. Seems Ross doesn't have to spend 10 years doing relationship building courses as he tends to get his players on side and believing very quickly.... a leader a father figure and not a friend.

I dare say with Ross we may not have had the sour tastes of SOS saga in the background... wouldn't have been surprised is things with SOS got mended too in that regard.

Does make you wonder... our club for the last 22-ish years is one big sliding door moment sadly.

Ross is a proven instant success deliverer.... he has that uncanny ability to transform players to fill any missing pieces/voids/injuries within a list. Tactically proven (albeit leans more to a drab game style but look at how we're playing ATM compared to Saints) and tends to unite the football group from players to coaches. Seems Ross doesn't have to spend 10 years doing relationship building courses as he tends to get his players on side and believing very quickly.... a leader a father figure and not a friend.

I dare say with Ross we may not have had the sour tastes of SOS saga in the background... wouldn't have been surprised is things with SOS got mended too in that regard.
I think Ross should be prime minister of Australia !

Interesting, can't really see any member of our team (bar maybe Doc) who could end up in coaching, or is super tactically inclined. Nekminit LOB

Malthouse was proven too.

Malthouse was proven too.
Malthouse was cooked and most people knew it. Heart wasn't in it for the right reasons... Eddie was even flagging it. Mick took the role out of spite and thinking he could prove a point (all the wrong reasons). He spent all his energies proving Eddie wrong in 2010/11 and was spent, angry and deluded by mid 2011.

To the best of my knowledge Ross the Lyon has yet to win a flag.
Close but no cigar....and I doubt very much that will change.
Regardless of what one might think of Voss, Ross fires blanks
He'll get you the chance to play a GF and that's what you need to get to to have that chance. Shame he met Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn in their absolute primes and was so close to getting the chocolates. He can turn a mediocre list into a contender and that's what we need... but our list isn't mediocre (more misguided and flawed) would've loved to see what he could of done.

You get the thinking behind Malthouse but in retrospect we were perhaps quick on Ratten and Malthouse was probably not motivated to coach us for the right reasons. Costly mistake.

I think Bolton was very much the right man for the job at the time and did a wonderful job teaching the boys a certain level of professionalism which you can still see shades of today. Cripps turned his career around under him, McKay famously was a pet project of Bolton and has paid off in spades. I think ultimately he wasn't the coach to take us where we wanted to go but he was the perfect coach for us to go through a rebuild with at the time.

I don't view Bolton as a failure - the failure has been from the club taking the next step after him and it's a failure we've made a couple of times.

pretty fair summation this

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back