Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse was cooked and most people knew it. Heart wasn't in it for the right reasons... Eddie was even flagging it. Mick took the role out of spite and thinking he could prove a point (all the wrong reasons). He spent all his energies proving Eddie wrong in 2010/11 and was spent, angry and deluded by mid 2011.
Not to mention the money factor. The offer was to good to refuse.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, I know, I know… but really, we came to a critical sliding doors moment for us 18 months ago….and… picked Vossy instead of Ross! Apparently Ross messed with our “respect” round … instead of picking the proven performer seems we picked the booby-prize. Pretty sure we would be in a way better position today if we went with our first choice. In the words of jack Kerouac - “1st choice = best choice” . This moment in time could haunt us for years…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty sure Voss didn't even get an interview for the Pies' job.

Voss is a leader which is what this group needs, an area he falls down which I think the sub committee that appointed him even acknowledged is his lack of tactical nous.

I think the club needs to work to put a better support network around him, of our current assistant coaches Hansen is probably the only one of note?

Surely the Coaching and Innovation Manager needs to come under the microscope? Whilst the role and function is important, are we sure that Greaves is the man for the job? To me I think someone like Chocco would be ideal given the impact he's had on growing the players and coaches at Melbourne.

Last edited:

Pretty sure Voss didn't even get an interview for the Pies' job.
Makes you wonder... Voss applied for pretty much every vacancy the last how many years? Applied for us and got pipped by Bolton (and Barker...), and Teague even.

I think Voss is driven to prove his sacking at the Lions was premature. I suspect early last year he did the right thing and let his assistants take more charge and control.... then when success ensued he wanted to put more of his stamp on things and started to dictate/add some of his ideas moreso (the "layers") to show the world this team is of his creation and going places.

He'll get you the chance to play a GF and that's what you need to get to to have that chance. Shame he met Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn in their absolute primes and was so close to getting the chocolates. He can turn a mediocre list into a contender and that's what we need... but our list isn't mediocre (more misguided and flawed) would've loved to see what he could of done.
I don't want us to play in a Grand Final, I want us to win it.
Was there in 73, 86, 93, 99 and trust me losing is worse than not being in it.

For St Kilda or Fremantle near enough might be good enough but this is Carlton.

So you think Voss will get you at least to a GF?

Think the question should be, will this list, in its current state, get us to a GF.

If it is a resounding yes, then our coaches may not be upto it

If it's a no, it becomes 2 part consideration

What list changes do we require to address our needs

Are we performing to expectations, with the current list

Voss is a leader which is what this group needs, an area he falls down which I think the sub committee that appointed him even acknowledged is his lack of tactical nous.

I think the club needs to work to put a better support network around him, of our current assistant coaches Hansen is probably the only one of note?

Surely the Coaching and Innovation Manager needs to come under the microscope? Whilst the role and function is important, are we sure that Greaves is the man for the job? To me I think someone like Chocco would be ideal given the impact he's had on growing the players and coaches at Melbourne.
Think there needs to be a big clean out in backroom staff come year end.

We definately need to bring in a tactical mind like Richmond did bringing in Caracella to aid Hardwick.

Also an experienced assistant is needed, look at Macrae who has Bolton and Leppitch.

Andrew Russell’s mammoth contract is up so hopefully he goes and thst opens the cap.
Greeves - what does he even do, get rid of him.
B Lloyd needs to be moved on, get a footy boss with proven success.

Ash Hansen was highly rated but I’d argue our forward line has been completely dysfunctional for 2 years now.

Think the question should be, will this list, in its current state, get us to a GF.

Take away coaching and if you saw a list with;

C.Curnow,
McKay,
Cripps,
Walsh,
Weitering,
Saad,
Docherty,
Cerra

as bonafide credentialed AA squad calibre players (all 28 or under).

Then throw in work horses, experienced troopers, 100+ gamers in;

Newman,
JSOS,
Fisher,
Kennedy,
Acres,
Hewett,
Plowman

And kids that have shown promise in;

Durdin,
Hollands,
Cowan,
Motlop,
Kemp,

And followed by those we know are at least capable AFL quality players or better;

TDK,
Cotters,
Young,
McGovern,
E.Curnow,
Pittonet,
Boyd

Note haven't included injured players like Williams, Martin who could fit above somewhere (I'll ignore Marchbank and Cunningham).

That's 32 players (currently presumably all fit). They say you need 30 ready and able in a list to be a chance.

The mere fact that this list can't gel, lines are all over the shop, cant' get mentally in the right headspace for a full 4 quarters consistently again sadly points to a failing in coaching largely. Whether that's on Voss or the whole coaching group as a collective that's hard to ascertain as we're not in the day to day to see or note where the failures lie.

What we have seen in glimpses for the last 4 years or so what the above is capable of with the right motivation and tweaks.

I am saying Ross gets you there maybe (once in a while) but so far thats not been enough for his teams.
I dont think that will change.
With our list if a coach could come in and break that shackle of failure and lead us to the finals and a final win, I think that'll be the impetus to move us forward rapidly. Time is starting to go off our side with some of our very good players and imagine Ross did get us in the 8 last year (or even Voss) and we happened to win an elimination final, I'd think the mentality of the collective would be much much better this year. Confidence in their abilities would be somewhat proven.

Ross statistically speaking would've gotten us into the finals last year... this year could've been a real opportunity and Ross with his style can't see him having our players looking confused for extended periods.

Think there needs to be a big clean out in backroom staff come year end.

We definately need to bring in a tactical mind like Richmond did bringing in Caracella to aid Hardwick.

Also an experienced assistant is needed, look at Macrae who has Bolton and Leppitch.
Bringing in tactical astute assistants sounds good, but the head coach would have to concede that his system has failed and be prepared to accept new advice.(some humility required)
I really hope Carlton's form returns fairly soon.
Sayers doesn't appear to me, the type to sit on his hands and allow the club to underperform for another 12 months, especially after having his first choice vetoed.(I'm no Lyon fan)

With our list if a coach could come in and break that shackle of failure and lead us to the finals and a final win, I think that'll be the impetus to move us forward rapidly. Time is starting to go off our side with some of our very good players and imagine Ross did get us in the 8 last year (or even Voss) and we happened to win an elimination final, I'd think the mentality of the collective would be much much better this year. Confidence in their abilities would be somewhat proven.

Ross statistically speaking would've gotten us into the finals last year... this year could've been a real opportunity and Ross with his style can't see him having our players looking confused for extended periods.

100% - we were neck and neck with Collingwood last year …were ahead of them in the last game and lost in the last minute… and they then went deep into the finals. So look at where they are now and look at where we are? Pretty sure from what Ross has done so far with St Kilda, he would have done even better with our squad… and the experience of that kind of success drives a thirst and a confidence that we don’t seem to have right now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One step back. I think the question should be with our current squad and trajectory, is it good enough to get to top 4. Once there we can see how close we are to the pinnacle.
IMO, this squad should be challenging top 4. As it stands, top 8 may be a step too far. Some of the shortcomings must be attributed to the coaching staff where I believe we are thin on analysis and tactics. The panic/second guessing/skill errors can at times be attributed to mixed messaging and flakey instructions. Players just don't lose skills overnight.

One step back. I think the question should be with our current squad and trajectory, is it good enough to get to top 4. Once there we can see how close we are to the pinnacle.
IMO, this squad should be challenging top 4. As it stands, top 8 may be a step too far. Some of the shortcomings must be attributed to the coaching staff where I believe we are thin on analysis and tactics. The panic/second guessing/skill errors can at times be attributed to mixed messaging and flakey instructions. Players just don't lose skills overnight.
Bingo.

Still aligns to the same strategy/analysis, at all those levels, top 8, top 4, flags

C.Curnow,
McKay,
Cripps,
Walsh,
Weitering,
Saad,
Docherty,
Cerra

Newman,
JSOS,
Fisher,
Kennedy,
Acres,
Hewett,
Plowman

Durdin,
Hollands,
Cowan,
Motlop,
Kemp,

And followed by those we know are at least capable AFL quality players or better;

TDK,
Cotters,
Young,
McGovern,
E.Curnow,
Pittonet,
Boyd

Note haven't included injured players like Williams, Martin who could fit above somewhere (I'll ignore Marchbank and Cunningham).

That's 32 players (currently presumably all fit). They say you need 30 ready and able in a list to be a chance.

The mere fact that this list can't gel, lines are all over the shop, cant' get mentally in the right headspace for a full 4 quarters consistently again sadly points to a failing in coaching largely. Whether that's on Voss or the whole coaching group as a collective that's hard to ascertain as we're not in the day to day to see or note where the failures lie.

What we have seen in glimpses for the last 4 years or so what the above is capable of with the right motivation and tweaks.

Out of those 27, I counted 12 that probably wouldn't crack the 22 for any team in the top 10.

C.Curnow,
McKay,
Cripps,
Walsh,
Weitering,
Saad,
Docherty,
Cerra

Newman,
JSOS,
Fisher,
Kennedy,
Acres,
Hewett,
Plowman

Durdin,
Hollands,
Cowan,
Motlop,
Kemp,

TDK,
Cotters,
Young,
McGovern,
E.Curnow,
Pittonet,
Boyd

It comes back to what you believe the list is capable of leading into a season

Right or wrong and let's say without any inside knowledge, I believe this group was capable of 13-15 wins.

At that point, you assess ongoing factors, mainly health of list, which could impact output in both directions

If, the non-negotiable was finals, then 14+ wins is the goal

Then, ongoing analysis would be coaching/gameplan/tactics, etc

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, I know, I know… but really, we came to a critical sliding doors moment for us 18 months ago….and… picked Vossy instead of Ross! Apparently Ross messed with our “respect” round … instead of picking the proven performer seems we picked the booby-prize. Pretty sure we would be in a way better position today if we went with our first choice. In the words of jack Kerouac - “1st choice = best choice” . This moment in time could haunt us for years…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You might be right but St kilda has a better more list in terms of today's hard running transition football. Ross is also in the sugar hit stage. Let's wait a year. I just don't think carlton have the list talent beyond the first 10 picked

Kouta was shunned by the club years ago, I’d love to see him take control of our fitness and conditioning, bring back some soul.

C.Curnow,
McKay,
Cripps,
Walsh,
Weitering,
Saad,
Docherty,
Cerra

Newman,
JSOS,
Fisher,
Kennedy,
Acres,
Hewett,
Plowman

Durdin,
Hollands,
Cowan,
Motlop,
Kemp,

TDK,
Cotters,
Young,
McGovern,
E.Curnow,
Pittonet,
Boyd

The B, D are ordinary with a few exceptions, more so, when you consider fitness. The C group has potential but not ready to produce high output

It comes back to what you believe the list is capable of leading into a season

Right or wrong and let's say without any inside knowledge, I believe this group was capable of 13-15 wins.

At that point, you assess ongoing factors, mainly health of list, which could impact output in both directions

If, the non-negotiable was finals, then 14+ wins is the goal

Then, ongoing analysis would be coaching/gameplan/tactics, etc
So it gets back to the point Whately made on SEN Saturday morning... we're a team so beholden to our injuries... our game plan or style cannot handle not having the perfect 22 (23) pieces playing every round.

Further that point about our recruiting being off, taking someone better than what we've got instead of hunting someone of need to balance the list.

So to me;
1. Coaching
2. Historical recruitment decisions

are key factors. But with poor recruitment choices it does not stop a decent coaching panel from transitioning players to adapt in a good system to accept and play other roles.

You might be right but St kilda has a better more list in terms of today's hard running transition football. Ross is also in the sugar hit stage. Let's wait a year. I just don't think carlton have the list talent beyond the first 10 picked
Sugar hit was Norths start to the season, our start with Teague and Voss... with the Saints it feels a lot different.. I see structure, I see focus, I see intent, I see players role playing and I see cohesiveness across the lines amongst an injury ravaged list. I see what a focused and drilled Stocker can achieve. What a flakey Higgins of recent years is doing. I see team balance... no superstars... no 5+ players averaging 100+ supercoach points (just like the Pies).

So it gets back to the point Whately made on SEN Saturday morning... we're a team so beholden to our injuries... our game plan or style cannot handle not having the perfect 22 (23) pieces playing every round.

No side has their so called best 22 available, but it still depend on who and on what line.

Right now, no excuses with the players we have available, minimum wins should be 13+
Further that point about our recruiting being off, taking someone better than what we've got instead of hunting someone of need to balance the list.

So to me;
1. Coaching
2. Historical recruitment decisions

are key factors. But with poor recruitment choices it does not stop a decent coaching panel from transitioning players to adapt in a good system to accept and play other roles.

You can improve and or reach expected output of players/teams at your disposal, with a sound, consistent gameplan, but you can create miracles

We can't play the style of the Pies, we don't have that footspeed, but with the right system, designed around our player's strengths and weaknesses, no reason we shouldn't beat sides like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back