Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Vossy, some homework

Get 10-15kg on Harry and turn him into our Tomahawk….he’d be unstoppable.
Stop asking Charlie to be our Tomahawk…ffs use his mobility and athleticism, he’s shorter than JSOS, he’s a 3rd tall.

Both McKay and Curnow could do with an increase in their aggression levels, how many times have either of them been suspended because they play on the edge?

This made me think about something i heard Voss at after our first season, he was asked if he was heading overseas in the off season to get any intel on other sporting organisations to further his education, he commented, not if i value my marriage.

Now its good that a coach wants a break and so does their family, i do know though that Clarkson and Hardwick both went to Europe and the US multiple off seasons, visiting various clubs and meeting various coaches to further develop themselves.

McRae has a coaching resume across different sports and went on a study trip to the US after last season too.

I have no idea how much it adds and i dont know if Voss has been on any, I haven’t read anything to suggest he has.

I just hope Voss is doing everything he can to further his development

He moved to Melbourne to start coaching us during covid without his family.

I've never blamed an umpiring decision or injuries as an excuse

Everyone plays a roll in success or failure, coaches and players, no one is immune to analysis and or criticism

1st half of last year, people wanted Voss and assistants sacked, and as tge tide changed, they still wanted heads to roll, until we secured finals, then not a word

1st half of this year similar, until this current poor patch. Same people are calling for heads to roll, plus, people that were once defending our structures, have flipped completely and have joined the conga line

Of course it's the prerogative of the individual, to melt or celebrate as they see fit

My question, how does a coach/s, go from not being able to coach, to then take this side to top 4, to then not being able to coach again?

More importantly, how would anyone here know, whether any of our coaches, can coach

Personally, I think we are on the right track, and I have never changed my view, whether our output is strong or in a poor patch, as there are other factors I analyze to form my views

Never really thought this year was our year anyway, no matter the form.

The culture is growing really well but from a matchday perspective i think there are still some lessons to be learnt.

He moved to Melbourne to start coaching us during covid without his family.

That’s fine, i also dont know what he has done outside of the season to improve himself, i just haven’t read anything that he has.
Just commenting that the others did it multiple times and two of those coaches share 7 premierships, my point is still the same, i hope Voss is doing everything he can to develop his coaching and i hope the club is providing him the tools and opportunity to do so.

Both McKay and Curnow could do with an increase in their aggression levels, how many times have either of them been suspended because they play on the edge?
We don't need unsociable aggression levels like Hawks and Richmond era levels but we need a team wide hard and fair with a few that teeter on the edge when required. I'm happy we're not a team of thugs, but we do have work to do on being able to channel and direct our energies in defending our team mates and ourselves whether that be not taking a step back or ramping heat up on the ball and opposition player that they go all wobbly.

We don't need unsociable aggression levels like Hawks and Richmond era levels but we need a team wide hard and fair with a few that teeter on the edge when required. I'm happy we're not a team of thugs, but we do have work to do on being able to channel and direct our energies in defending our team mates and ourselves whether that be not taking a step back or ramping heat up on the ball and opposition player that they go all wobbly.
I'd rather be thought of as 'thugs' and have another 3 or 4 cups in the cabinet.

I'd rather be thought of as 'thugs' and have another 3 or 4 cups in the cabinet.
I relate our problem more to Rocky 3, where Rocky's become too civilised, living a wealthy lifestyle, new nose, new face, new clothes, jewellery.. Micky tells him such and when Apollo takes him under his wing about finding that eye of the tiger again when training and in the ring.

I think we're in the same boat since the days of our salary cap issues that we focused heavily on controlling things we could control with our non game day appearance (getting rid of a few rat-bag types), social causes, clean cut looking players being faces of the club, etc. I think that's all blurred into impacting our training and game day persona/focus.

Eye of the Tiger, Voss. Eye of the Tiger.

It takes all sorts to be successful, I don't feel you will achieve it if everyone is "vanilla". You need the good and the bad. You need the mongrel and a touch of arrogance. Opposition supporters say they dislike Green or Lynch but would be happy to have them in their side.

We are too nice at the moment, we need the opposition thinking that to beat us they are going to have to earn it. It was why Brad Scott and Clarkson would treat us with contempt when we played them, they hit us hard and knew we would fold eventually.

I expect Mitchell and Hawthorn will apply the same hardness to us this week, how we handle it will determine which of us play in September.

We lack ruthlessness and mongrel.
That's not to say we can't win without it, but it would make things a lot easier if we found some.
It really seeps into everything we do. All aspects of our game would improve with just a dash of ruthlessness. Feels like we've been saying this for years.

And when we get that, players will be suspended because by playing on the edge, sometimes you get it wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And when we get that, players will be suspended because by playing on the edge, sometimes you get it wrong
As long as it is not the core 5 players that is not the worst thing that could happen. Allows the list to freshen up.

Our team doesn't make players earn it enough. How often have we crunched an opponent in a marking contest or buried a player in a tackle. Sometimes copping a couple of weeks is a cost of doing business.

Even when our players are reported, they're too polite to get that right, and the lawyers exonerate them.
Playing on the edge in contact sport is necessary. I'd rather a player 'steps over the line' occasionally then be content, well below it.
Newman is our only player even close to the aggression line at the moment.

Relaxed Mad Men GIF

I like Vossy as a person but we have totally and utterly fallen off the cliff big time since the end of June.

I think changes need to be made to the assistant coaches, but he won't survive after 2025 if it's another poor year.

I'm trying hard to stick with you Vossy but it's getting hard.

When we are on we look great. Drop away a bit and we look slow/ no system / poor skills.

Our poor form runs are absolutely atrocious. We don't just drop form a little bit, we become a dead set bottom 4 side.

It's happened 3 years in a row. Huge patches of the year where we are woeful.

Where is our plan b? What do we do to get our players up for a sustained period. That is up to the coach and if you can’t do it you’re not fit for the job.

I'm trying hard to stick with you Vossy but it's getting hard.

When we are on we look great. Drop away a bit and we look slow/ no system / poor skills.

Our poor form runs are absolutely atrocious. We don't just drop form a little bit, we become a dead set bottom 4 side.

It's happened 3 years in a row. Huge patches of the year where we are woeful.
We've had three seasons with Voss as coach. First season was going well but a late season collapse in form cost us a place in the finals.

A decent second season but a lot of us myself included thought the year was over after that defeat to * in June. We then put a decent run of results together and made a prelim final.

Two seasons of progression there, but this year we looked like a strong possibility to finish top two never mind top four at the end of June.

Our form then completely collapses at the seams though, and we proceed to slide out of the top four and we'll probably slide out of the top eight altogether as well!

I don't want Vossy gone as i already said i like the man as a person, but this is where we are right now under him. Carlton under Vossy are a team prone to serious lapses in form.

He is not the only fault I absolutely know that. We have holes in the list and injury prone players but this team has the talent and should be better.

There’s no excuse for the team to have over the past 6 or so weeks lost all attacking flare and goal-less quarters with the talent that we have. A good coach should have been able to right the ship and restore player confidence. He’s not the right man for the job. That’s my opinion and I respect others to their own. And it sucks to have to say that yet again about another coach but here we are, we got it wrong again. He has next year as he’s contracted but more of the same and he’ll be gone.

He took over from Teague with the expectation to take the list the next step and he’s had 3 years now and we look no better. Not many players have become significantly better. Our midfield and stoppage work has gone from a huge strength to a weakness. We have no clear identifiable game plan unlike other well drilled teams. We have one player in the 22 and under team of the year. Our players are ageing and ‘in the window’ and another year older. I’m not seeing the quality kids coming through because we’ve backed in the core group. We wouldn’t want to be rebuilding at the time Tasmania come in with compromised drafts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back