Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

And 'tap it to me Pitto'.

Tail wagging the dog?
I know it’s a long time ago now but in 1995 Parkin basically gave the senior players the ability to directly influence aspects of training, game prep, the game plan and even team selection. That team included Kernahan, Williams, Bradley, Silvagni, Ratten, Kouta, McKay.
Has been an approach feted within the club - and many other clubs - ever since.
Compare that group to Cripps, Weitering, Walsh, Curnow …. all of whom are great players but I’d hazard a guess many wouldn’t rate them as a leadership group in comparison to 1995.
Players have more power in 2024 than they’ve ever had and while there’s no doubt to the benefits of a collaborative leadership approach, it can be flawed when some voices are amplified.
Cripps is an exceptional leader and player and has had an incredible influence on the club’s direction for many years. I have no doubt the club will keep challenging him and our other onfield leaders.

I hope we don’t spend a big part of our cap on Burgess (what we did with Russel) and instead go for someone with less of a name and beef up our assistants.

Bob Murphy is leaving Freo and heading back to Melb. Would love to get him to the club, he held leadership and skills roles at Freo. We desperately need an improvement in both

Didn’t the deadline for informing assistants they won’t be coming back already pass though?
Most likely not publicly announced yet whilst the season is alive. Russell was discussing and having conversations on his "retirement" apparently for 7-8 weeks and that never leaked out. But I'd be astounded if at least 1 of the coaching group wasn't moved on.

Most likely not publicly announced yet whilst the season is alive. Russell was discussing and having conversations on his "retirement" apparently for 7-8 weeks and that never leaked out. But I'd be astounded if at least 1 of the coaching group wasn't moved on.
Like the backline coach for starters.

I read something today that we have given up 6 100+ point scores this year and for the 2 season prior we gave up only 4

To me that says that defensively we have good structure in place ( most of the time)

We get scored against heavily when the midfield doesn’t 2 way run and/or we fail to lift our tackle count and pressure around the ball

I’d be interested to know our pressure rating for the games where we conceded 100+

I read something today that we have given up 6 100+ point scores this year and for the 2 season prior we gave up only 4

To me that says that defensively we have good structure in place ( most of the time)

We get scored against heavily when the midfield doesn’t 2 way run and/or we fail to lift our tackle count and pressure around the ball

I’d be interested to know our pressure rating for the games where we conceded 100+

Not so sure of the bolded given that West Coast, North and Richmond are the only teams to have had more points kicked against them than us.

Voss will no doubt coach next year. The issue for me is:

- Are the players 'broken' after what happened in the last 6 weeks

- Voss appears intransigent on his methods - can the players come back up again next season on the same message - pressure, contest, 'best version of ourselves', journey etc.

- Do good coaches re-invent themselves to suit the situation - does Voss need to do this or is he even capable ?

- Voss appears intransigent on his methods - can the players come back up again next season on the same message - pressure, contest, 'best version of ourselves', journey etc.

- Do good coaches re-invent themselves to suit the situation - does Voss need to do this or is he even capable ?
Well, we all know the definition of insanity. So if things don’t change expect the same results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Voss will coach us again next year because we're gunshy about sacking a coach mid contract and the current hierarchy are welded to him.

But it does raise a question about whether he would coach again if we hadn't moved early to extend his contract.

I also believe there is ample evidence that good coaches can and do re-invent themselves, the question is can Voss do this?

Perhaps the answer lies in your third paragraph, if he is, indeed, intransigent then the odds of this happening are not good and our main hope would appear to be a complete re-vamp of our assistants.

Voss is a one season coach, squeeze's all he can out of the players, breaks them in his quests for finals. Then starts going to shit the next season and it's all downhill after that, Voss is not a good coach, we have run our race and this club will continue to make the same mistakes it has in the past.

We are finished. next year it's going to be the same shit I can almost guarantee it, Voss hasn't blooded any players, run our good players into the ground, stuck with O Hollands who is scared of his own shadow, and stuck with the same injury prone players, now we are suffering again. This is what happens when we have a disgraceful MC and fitness staff, and a coach who can't see what is happening.

We should just be happy we made the preliminary finals last year, because we aren't going to be doing that again for 25 more years.

Voss is a one season coach, squeeze's all he can out of the players, breaks them in his quests for finals. Then starts going to shit the next season and it's all downhill after that, Voss is not a good coach, we have run our race and this club will continue to make the same mistakes it has in the past.

We are finished. next year it's going to be the same shit I can almost guarantee it, Voss hasn't blooded any players, run our good players into the ground, stuck with O Hollands who is scared of his own shadow, and stuck with the same injury prone players, now we are suffering again. This is what happens when we have a disgraceful MC and fitness staff, and a coach who can't see what is happening.

We should just be happy we made the preliminary finals last year, because we aren't going to be doing that again for 25 more years.

I think Ollie Hollands has had a lot more games his season than his form merits but to say that he's scared of his own shadow is a very, very poor comment.

Hmm and the winner of the melt of the year award goes to your good self.

People laughing at the Bombers slide down the ladder.

They have maybe 2 or 3 players who would clearly make our team better. The rest of their list would probably not make us better just shuffling.

This side isn’t perfect but it performance is worse , given it’s talent, is easily the worst in the comp.

Voss doesn’t just fail he makes things worse.

This is easily our worst performance in 20 years given our list and the competition .

Anyone walking in off the street would have failed less than Voss. The players coaching themselves would have performed better. That’s what they did last year.

They won’t sack him because everyone (including me) bought the Hardwick / Bomber Thompson fairy tale.

People laughing at the Bombers slide down the ladder.

They have maybe 2 or 3 players who would clearly make our team better. The rest of their list would probably not make us better just shuffling.

This side isn’t perfect but it performance is worse , given it’s talent, is easily the worst in the comp.

Voss doesn’t just fail he makes things worse.

This is easily our worst performance in 20 years given our list and the competition .

Anyone walking in off the street would have failed less than Voss. The players coaching themselves would have performed better. That’s what they did last year.

They won’t sack him because everyone (including me) bought the Hardwick / Bomber Thompson fairy tale.
Last comment on fairytale, 100% right.

You can add Ratten to that, as the media back in 2021 fizzed up the Ratten/ Voss hard done by stories....

As for the drugcheats....

Across the past 20years, they have still appeared in more finals series than us, with inferior lists.

Whats annoys me, is we are 10times the talent of essendon right now, and 2 pts apart on the ladder...

Whilst its enjoyable theatre discussing their failures.

I agree ours are far far worse right now.
I'd be worrying about our own backyard.

They've gotten rid of Sheedy and Dodo, maybe they have finally woken up?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Match day ability leaves a lot to be desired. Still think a highly experienced quality senior assistant coach or coaches would help.
Would like Adam Simpson if he was keen, apparently pretty good tactically around midfield stoppage/clearance work & adjustments on match day.

Last comment on fairytale, 100% right.

You can add Ratten to that, as the media back in 2021 fizzed up the Ratten/ Voss hard done by stories....

As for the drugcheats....

Across the past 20years, they have still appeared in more finals series than us, with inferior lists.

Whats annoys me, is we are 10times the talent of essendon right now, and 2 pts apart on the ladder...

Whilst its enjoyable theatre discussing their failures.

I agree ours are far far worse right now.
I'd be worrying about our own backyard.

They've gotten rid of Sheedy and Dodo, maybe they have finally woken up?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
A single finals appearance from this list is absolutely diabolical. I get that there are holes that need to be addressed but gee whiz, they'd wanna get it right in '25 :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back