Toast Mick Malthouse RE: Heath Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

dima17

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watching todays game, i noticed a slight change in role for Heath Shaw. While he played down back for chunks of the game, he was also pushed up onto the wing and it worked really well. He was able to push forward effectively and take a nice grab to kick one goal and apply a tackle resulting in a free kick for another.

We all know Heath is a stellar defender, however i really like the idea of him being more involved in the game and roaming up the ground and up forward. I can recall Heath playing on the wing and in the middle throughout the pre-season and it is something i thought Mick would try earlier this year, however it hasn't eventuated.

My question is... with Maxwell coming back into the side in coming weeks and Goldsack and Toovey playing well down back, would it be a chance for Mick to drop a midfield rotation player and play Shaw through the middle - rather than do a straight swap for Maxwell with a defender when he comes in (i.e Goldsack out for Maxwell)?

Thoughts??

Watching todays game, i noticed a slight change in role for Heath Shaw. While he played down back for chunks of the game, he was also pushed up onto the wing and it worked really well. He was able to push forward effectively and take a nice grab to kick one goal and apply a tackle resulting in a free kick for another.

We all know Heath is a stellar defender, however i really like the idea of him being more involved in the game and roaming up the ground and up forward. I can recall Heath playing on the wing and in the middle throughout the pre-season and it is something i thought Mick would try earlier this year, however it hasn't eventuated.

My question is... with Maxwell coming back into the side in coming weeks and Goldsack and Toovey playing well down back, would it be a chance for Mick to drop a midfield rotation player and play Shaw through the middle - rather than do a straight swap for Maxwell with a defender when he comes in (i.e Goldsack out for Maxwell)?

Thoughts??

Check out my thread on the main page I started a month ago suggesting Shaw as a wingman - many disagreed but think they may think differently now.

Oh by the way, the whole first half he played on the wing and starred!

If you add Heater to the midfield rotation, you have..

Swan.
Didak.
Pendlebury.
Ball.
Wellingham.
Beams.
Sidebottom.
Neon (played cameos in the midfield today)
& Shaw.

I doubt any side could go toe to toe with that rotation.

i do remember your thread and i agreed with it at the time ;). i think it could be an ace up Mick's sleeve if he chooses to utilise the idea.

I recall he played across half forward for some time during the match. Kicked two goals as well, might I add. :)

He actually had a job on Schneider and the saints tried to break him free of that tag as he was having no impact by moving him to half back. Mick just had the sense to keep with him.

Results:

H. Shaw - 2 goals

A. Schneider - 0 goals 4 points.

He started on the Wing for most centre square bounces.
I liked it because he immediately pushed into the centre after each bounce and gave us another 'hard at it' midfield option.

Very clever by Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mick Malthouse RE: Heath Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back