Mick Malthouse says Geelong needs to change its game plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-make-the-finals/story-e6freck3-1226426629043

They seem to be a bit all over the place ... they don't seem to be able to kick long," Malthouse said. "They struggle against the best sides at the moment because they're getting put under massive pressure through the corridor.
I'm not sure if any of us can say with certainty what our gameplan is? But with the form our old players and new blood can we even do our Finals gameplan or properly press anymore?

We're struggling... not sure if it's the gameplan though

Losing Ling and Ottens, and Mooney and Milburn and also not having Varcoe, Vardy and Menzel has meant that the good players we've lost have not been replenished

There are only 3 sure reasons we are so bad this year.

1. The gameplan
2. Disposal
3. Aging vets

If we played a better gameplan, I have no doubt we would be up again. One does not simply win 3 premierships and then all of a sudden turn average. Not with a good list. Especially not with our list.

I think our fall has had nothing to do with the lack of speed. We would have been able to deal with slowness just last year.

It is definitely something big that has changed. I doubt every single player has all of a sudden dropped, so the best bet is the ugly gameplan.

Sucks to watch. Dafuq Chris

If we could hit targets when we go down the corridor I reckon we would see a bit of improve instantly. Love seeing us attack down the guts but miss a target and the opposition will be lining up about 20metres out directly in front. It's not a great look but if a player with ball in hand isn't confident of hitting a target in the centre they're better off kicking 50m+ to a contest down the wing and seeing what happens from there.
(Not sure if this has anything to do with our gameplan...)

There are only 3 sure reasons we are so bad this year.

1. The gameplan
2. Disposal
3. Aging vets

If we played a better gameplan, I have no doubt we would be up again. One does not simply win 3 premierships and then all of a sudden turn average. Not with a good list. Especially not with our list.
1. We lose to many games.
2. We don't win enough games.
If we could fix that we would be doing better. ;)

I think our fall has had nothing to do with the lack of speed. We would have been able to deal with slowness just last year.

+1 This is spot on.

It's how quick the ball moves. Not how quick your feet move.

I lol'd all of last year when commentators said leg speed will expose us while we kicked the ball long over all their heads and won the GF.

For me the problem is rather simple to see but hard to fix, It's that our player are constantly in no mans land, never sure to zone off or go to the ball, never certain whether to spread hard when we win the ball/ when we look like we'll win the ball or hang back, having less options hurts your disposal efficiency and causes turnovers.

In short the player don't know where to be.

We're struggling... not sure if it's the gameplan though

Losing Ling and Ottens, and Mooney and Milburn and also not having Varcoe, Vardy and Menzel has meant that the good players we've lost have not been replenished

There are many, many reasons why we're not as good this year. Among them (to me at least) are:
  1. Lack of leg speed. Not in close when we're winning the ball, but across the ground as sides spread out. We're getting hurt constantly here.
  2. Lack of defensive pressure up forward. This is almost non-existent. We've got too many small forwards who either a) don't get the ball or b) don't lay tackles. Or worse - c) both. If Hawkins doesn't mark it the ball comes out very quickly.
  3. Decline of experienced players. Corey mainly, a little bit Wocjinski, at times Chapman. It may not be huge but it's true nonetheless.
  4. Mistakes by inexperienced players. This is going to happen. Personally I think every one of them can play. But they won't turn into 100 game dependable players overnight. They take time and they do make mistakes.
  5. Not good enough conversion up forward. Hawkins is getting a lot of blame for this, some warranted, some not. But he's not alone.
  6. Inconsistent gameplan. Some weeks they look to be just playing simple direct football, some weeks being far too precise (first quarter against Collingwood a prime example).
  7. Poor starts. This has slaughtered us all year long. Roger put up an amazing stat about how poor our first quarters have been. Our lowest first quarter score since 1918. That's nearly 100 years - a very scary statistic. You can't argue with facts.
  8. Inexperienced ruck division. Yes it's an issue, but this is to me where it comes in the list of problems. And with experience West and Simpson (and Vardy) will get better. West is getting better.

Leg speed certainly isn't our biggest issue, If we were slow yes it would be a problem but we aren't, we lack a few pacy players to break the lines but it'd be a none issue if we used the ball better, Teams hurt us on the spread because we are poor at winning the ball, turning it over far too much and poor at being in the right spots defensively, so personally i don't think speed is a big issue for us a lack of gut running yes, a lack of smarts yes, but speed is a ways down the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with many of the comments/thoughts/theories above.

But I think the major reason we have struggled so much in all games is that we are almost always outnumbered at contests all over the ground.
(it was apparent early in game 1 against Freo, and really hasn't changed much all year, particularly early in games)

We just aren't there or anywhere in numbers.

Where we are at times baffles me. Are we forward of the ball, or behind the ball? Doesn't really matter because we are allowing the opposition to win the ball more easily particularly between the 50 arcs (and often are outnumbered/out of position if the opposition push forward).

The reason for this, is probably a collective of many of the reasons mentioned above.

Could be a bit of everything (game plan/personnel/skill/fitness/experience-lack of etc)

And they are probably all true, but essentially it boils down to collective effort.

The reason or reasons the collective effort is not there is probably many factors, but maybe "real" hunger (as opposed to "pride" that comes to the fore when challenged) just isn't there. Or maybe we think we can play in a lower gear and change up when required, but it is pretty clear by now that we don't have the qualities to do that anymore.

As sad as it is to say it, but I think it is best epitomised in Scarlo, who just hasn't really been what he can be, or what we know him to be all year. Still very serviceable/capable, but not what makes him great. He looks like he thinks it's about time some others took up the slack. Maybe he is right, but I think that attitude is why we are where we are at.

There are many, many reasons why we're not as good this year. Among them (to me at least) are:
2. Lack of defensive pressure up forward. This is almost non-existent. We've got too many small forwards who either a) don't get the ball or b) don't lay tackles. Or worse - c) both. If Hawkins doesn't mark it the ball comes out very quickly.

This is the big one for me Partridge, I can stand just about anything else but I can't stand this, and this has been the most disappointing part of the year for me. Not getting enough numbers to the contest in the first place (how many uncontested marks did the Pies take in OUR hotspot?), not having guys front and centre, and then just letting teams waltz out of the backline without pressure. Infuriating to watch Shaw and O'Brien from a contest or kick out get the ball about 15 or so metres from our goals, and then run it without pressure all the way to outside 50, then kick it a further 50m up field. That's why I want Johnson in the forward half as much as possible in the absence of Varcoe and Menzel because the other guys, Stokes in particular, are not cutting it currently. They're not looking dangerous & drawing opponents away from the big guys, and not laying tackles.

This is the big one for me Partridge, I can stand just about anything else but I can't stand this, and this has been the most disappointing part of the year for me. Not getting enough numbers to the contest in the first place (how many uncontested marks did the Pies take in OUR hotspot?), not having guys front and centre, and then just letting teams waltz out of the backline without pressure. Infuriating to watch Shaw and O'Brien from a contest or kick out get the ball about 15 or so metres from our goals, and then run it without pressure all the way to outside 50, then kick it a further 50m up field. That's why I want Johnson in the forward half as much as possible in the absence of Varcoe and Menzel because the other guys, Stokes in particular, are not cutting it currently. They're not looking dangerous & drawing opponents away from the big guys, and not laying tackles.

Very well summed up. It was more disappointing on Saturday night because we know that Maxwell and O'Brien don't like being accountable, and don't like having play against direct opponents. It didn't look like we did either. Carlton gave us the blueprint the week before and we didn't do any of the things they did. At the very least we need to find small guys who are capable of chasing or manning up.

The problem I see here is that last year Chris Scott implemented something very close to the perfect game plan. It was designed to beat the better sides and stand up in finals, and it achieved that convincingly. Now, unless he has suddenly forgot about that or it wasn't his idea in the first place, I assume he is still coaching the team the same way. If he's not, then he should be criticised for that. But suppose we give him the benefit of the doubt, what is then the problem?

Over the last few months or so, the answer has become clear: the younger players. The fact is on the weekend there were 9 players in the side who had played less than 50 games. To be clear, I don't think they should be criticised or blamed, because they are young, and still learning the game. It would be unrealistic and unfair to expect them to perform like 150 game players. But at the end of the day, we are no longer the big bodied and experienced team we once were. The result? A drop in performance. Totally normal and really quite predictable.

Over the last few months or so, the answer has become clear: the younger players. The fact is on the weekend there were 9 players in the side who had played less than 50 games. To be clear, I don't think they should be criticised or blamed, because they are young, and still learning the game. It would be unrealistic and unfair to expect them to perform like 150 game players. But at the end of the day, we are no longer the big bodied and experienced team we once were. The result? A drop in performance. Totally normal and really quite predictable.
Last year vs Adelaide, we played a ton of young players. We managed to smash them.

Don't blame the kids.

Don't blame the kids.

When you quote a post be sure to actually read it. I made it very clear that I don't think the younger players should be blamed. They are inexperienced and doing their best. But at the end of the day, when a team is in transition, it is normal that they will be beaten by the more developed sides.

And that game against Adelaide last year? Sure, we had an young side who beat a low on confidence, out of form, Adelaide side at Skilled Stadium. I really can't see how this has any relevance to the way the team is playing at the moment.

When you quote a post be sure to actually read it. I made it very clear that I don't think the younger players should be blamed. They are inexperienced and doing their best. But at the end of the day, when a team is in transition, it is normal that they will be beaten by the more developed sides.

Who said I was directing the comment at you?

I have eyes, I obviously read that bit. Common sense.
And that game against Adelaide last year? Sure, we had an young side who beat a low on confidence, out of form, Adelaide side at Skilled Stadium. I really can't see how this has any relevance to the way the team is playing at the moment.
Adelaide at any stage should have been licking their lips at such an opportunity to grab a win.

The problem I see here is that last year Chris Scott implemented something very close to the perfect game plan. It was designed to beat the better sides and stand up in finals, and it achieved that convincingly. Now, unless he has suddenly forgot about that or it wasn't his idea in the first place, I assume he is still coaching the team the same way. If he's not, then he should be criticised for that. But suppose we give him the benefit of the doubt, what is then the problem?

Can only say pretty much that's it. We have a 'dog-bone' demographic in our playing list at the moment in terms of having several experienced 200+ game players who have lots of miles in the legs, and a bunch of younger guys under 22 who have played 30 or less matches. Probably the best of your young brigade (Menzel) has missed all season, and our quickest prime age player in Varcoe has also not played.

Being as great as Geelong was in '07-11 is based on having a 100% belief in your team mates and their abilities to back each other up, be where you need them on overlaps and in support at the contests. But change too many of that structure and suddenly things can go awry. Maybe a Smedts isn't where a 26 y/o Bartel would be, a Taylor Hunt won't dash away like a 27 y/o Wojac would have, and of course a Guthrie will not be able to pluck a ball out of a contest like a Gary Ablett would have. When you see who the side now is missing from the halcyon days, and not just 2011....of course a decline in output will occur.

The amazing thing is that despite this we are 9-6, and i think a solid chance of making the finals (Not sure we'll do much damage in them however). But i was happy with the effort and endeavour against the Pies. Bear in mind....since Rd 10 2010, Collingwood has been defeated on SEVEN occasions by just three clubs (Geelong 3, Carlton 2, Hawthorn 2). They have had two draws as well against the Dees and Saints. They are a side with a poultice of young pacy and strong midfielders in Beams, Pendlebury and Thomas. Our only mid in that demographic is Selwood. Despite our uncanny ability to cough possession up, find Maxwell and O'Brien with almost radar accuracy in our forward line, and our amazing inability to hit the side of a barn in front of goals...we outscored them for 3 quarters. And our starts this year are historically crap.

Indeed, as alluded to by Partridge Rogers Results highlighted that Geelong is the only team in the comp to not score 26 or more points in the 1st quarter. Everyone else including GWS and Cold Ghosts have done so. And i think it's just that we are not able to withstand the hottest and fastest that a team will throw out against us at that stage. It's here where losing powerfully built bodies like Ling and Ottens is felt most, perhaps clearance numbers may be similar, but even if we didn't clear the ball it rarely was cleared by the opposition.

And when you look at it...Ottens was one of Geelong's best ever ruckmen, and Ling one of our best ever clearance players/taggers/mids. Players of this ilk just are not easily replaced. It's like the Australian cricket side of the mid 2000's...with legends like Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Hayden, the Waughs. Opposition teams don't fear a West/Simpson ruck combo with no Ling or Gazza, and an ageing Corey as much as Ottens/Ling and a bunch of 26-27 y/o stars in their prime.

I am confident that whatever happens in 2012, we will be much better placed in 2013 onwards. If we can get Boak, and regain a full fitness Varcoe and Menzel our side will look so much better. But we have to be realistic and not expect that we can be an all-conquering side again quite like we were in 07-11. That was best ever stuff....once in a lifetime in all honesty. But it's what that legacy can pass to our younger ones that will see what the future holds. I trust Scott, i trust what the gameplan he employs will produce, once the players get the strength, confidence and belief to play it and succeed with it. But with a list light on for the 22-27 y/o demographic, it's not going to be that easy in the short term.

One thing that's really annoying me at the moment is the fact we're making 4-5 changes a week to the side, and some of the players who are being dropped one week were players who were elevated the week before (ie. Simpson). It would be hard for the older players to get used to playing alongside the youngsters when they've played alongside the likes of Otto, Ling and co. for so long, but even harder when there's a different youngster in the side every week.

'It's how quick the ball moves '. Spot on Podia Cat, watch Saturdays nights game early in the 2nd 1/4. Smedts marked the ball after a great passage of play in which we controlled the ball all the way down the ground til there. He stood there for what was the max time as Taylor Hunt was all alone and waving in front of goal. Our ball movement is too slow, we are not running, nothing to do with leg speed all too do with hunger and interest and desire to win. All of which is lacking, all of which could have to do with game plan or a bit too much of 2015 and not enough of now.

I honestly think we just need to go Ross Lyon style for the first quarter or half of our games till pace falls out of the game a bit then revert to our regular style.

In other words limit the damage from our woeful opening quarters then go about business as usual.

The odd thing has been the drop off in skills. Even in the clear and with minimal 'real' pressure, we cannot hit targets for nuts, by hand or foot. Young players being in the wrong position, making mistakes, being knocked off the ball more easily I can understand. But the decline of some senior players has happened so quickly it's alarming. Kelly and probably Enright have been the only ones of the senior group to mostly maintain their level (Josh Hunt has been pretty reliable too).

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Malthouse says Geelong needs to change its game plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back