Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with pretty much everything you have written... Just wanted to throw in another name too. Nathan Bassett! I'm a Norwood fan and this guy turned the club from a basket case to win multiple premierships.
Nathan Bassett was being groomed for Essendon senior coach.

But then James Hird didn't get banned.

It'd be delicious if we stole him from under their noses!

Don't know about reading too many, gotta get my value out of the place I suppose. Best we be accountable for the things we say, at least you didn't deny it and abuse the bejesus out of me.

Too old to deny or take umbrage other than to the use of the word "partner". As much as I hate the terms "me missus", "the better half" and "she who must be obeyed" I have a particular aversion to "partner". Always reminds me of the old west and people like Butch and Sundance and The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

And I also turned off Brokeback Mountain when they were in the tent.

Mick will earn a lot of lost brownie points this week if we can knock off Essendon*, the round after they beat Hawthorn..

Robbo and other Bombers supporting sillys are actually talking them up as premiership (jam) fancies LOL ..

If the players had any pride in the jumper left and respect for the fans, they will put in a 500 percent better effort this week ..

Err, isn't Gibbs in a long term committed relationship?
Stop bashing Gibbs. He was easily one of our best players last weekend and is trying hard IMO. He cannot win matches alone. (26 touches and 125 AF pts shows he was our best!).

If we are to rebuild we need Gibbs and Murphy front and centre. Unfortunately Judd's time has past, but in the first quarter he was on fire (12 touches from memory). We need 3 hard arsed mids to support these three. The other boys must step up and that is what we are not seeing.

My thoughts are there is still potential with Whiley, Bell, Everitt (101 AF pts last weekend), BB , Cripps, Curnow to give us a midfield that can compete. MM must make these guys work as a team (that is his job) and must improve their disposal. They all seem lost at present?

So far, Carrots, Curnow, Ellard, Tutt, Clem, Menzel are simply playing badly, so our rotations suc.

Stop bashing Gibbs. He was easily one of our best players last weekend and is trying hard IMO. He cannot win matches alone. (26 touches and 125 AF pts shows he was our best!).

If we are to rebuild we need Gibbs and Murphy front and centre. Unfortunately Judd's time has past, but in the first quarter he was on fire (12 touches from memory). We need 3 hard arsed mids to support these three. The other boys must step up and that is what we are not seeing.

My thoughts are there is still potential with Whiley, Bell, Everitt (101 AF pts last weekend), BB , Cripps, Curnow to give us a midfield that can compete. MM must make these guys work as a team (that is his job) and must improve their disposal. They all seem lost at present?

So far, Carrots, Curnow, Ellard, Tutt, Clem, Menzel are simply playing badly, so our rotations suc.

Personally, I'd dump Carrots and Curnow and Ellard for a month, and give Nick Graham, Whiley and Buckley a solid 4 game stretch to see if they can seize the day, and make their mark in the 22.

Those older three players, as great clubmen as they were (Carrots being a club champion) just can't take our footy club any further, and really don't expect any of them on our list next season, lets give some youthful, energetic kids in the VFL, with runs on the board with the Northern Blues right now, solid game time.

Still convinced Nick Graham can cut the mustard at AFL level, just needs to be given more time cooking in our midfield kitchen. (okay, so that's not exactly the best analogy I've done folks :eek:)

Personally, I'd dump Carrots and Curnow and Ellard for a month, and give Nick Graham, Whiley and Buckley a solid 4 game stretch to see if they can seize the day, and make their mark in the 22.

Those older three players, as great clubmen as they were (Carrots being a club champion) just can't take our footy club any further, and really don't expect any of them on our list next season, lets give some youthful, energetic kids in the VFL, with runs on the board with the Northern Blues right now, solid game time.

Still convinced Nick Graham can cut the mustard at AFL level, just needs to be given more time cooking in our midfield kitchen. (okay, so that's not exactly the best analogy I've done folks :eek:)

I'd go a step further and try out a few more after the month is out. Dick, Boekhurst, Johnson, Sheehan, Holman, DV-R (or is that DV+R), and depending on how they progress over the next few months in the Bullants, Foster and Fields. We'll never know how far away these guys are from making it at the top level by having them run around in the 'twos'. A rebuild starts from the bottom up. With regards to Graham, Johnson and Holman, I suspect it will be make or break for them.

Every club has developed an out an out champion from the draft ... who have we in the last 10 years? Where is our Fyfe, our beams, our anybody? Yarran is the closest but is he an outright champion? No he is a wanna be that coulda been and is starting to look like a shoulda been.

You look at all the slick hand balls finding their mark from other teams, tackles that stick and then you look at us and just wonder what the hell is wrong with us. Are we that weak?

I just cannot believe that we are that bad, that the simple fundamentals are taught that badly. It all just seems to be between the players ears. No desire to be part of a winning culture is all I can put it down to.
A lot of teams with less talent have done a hell of a lot more!

"The players love Mick"... is that because Mick is a father and protects them from the media... is it because he invites players around for dinner... is it because of the kick to kick he'll have with the players before a game...

Wonderful that the players love Mick... but do they respect him as a coach and will kill to deliver results on the field for him? Lethal, Ross Lyon here are examples of coaches that have come into lists that have had ordinary results with a mix of talented players and workman like players and have gotten teams to quickly adapt to their approaches and game plan.. IT's either their way or the highway! No lovey dovey fatherly stuff... The coach gets respect for coaching and getting the best out of the players not being a father.

I think as Malthouse has aged, as his children have grown up, become a grand-dad he's become soft and has a different outlook on life, and is not the ruthless young coach he appeared to be even 10-15 years ago. Mick time to get ruthless again... stop being big daddy and be their coach!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dangerfield leaves Adelaide, you can rest assured that they will go after Gibbs and then we have some thinking to do in terms of what they are prepared to offer. Hawthorn are looking to replace Mitchell and Murphy could fit that bill for them. There is a window and assuming all of the stars align it would be an extremely brave move.

I think Mick is slowly losing the grip and it's sad to say but the media will have a bloodbath. He knew what he was getting into presumably , but his list renovation has not gone exaclyt to plan and team performance has been poor. How much can we endure?
By season send end it could be very bleak indeed, unless there's a mid season resurgence with a full complement available.
Let Mick have his milestone.
Meanwhile I'd be having a good look around , Bomber Thomspon would be a reasonable bet for the future, solid coach the could inspire the boys to do better.
Something has got to be done to stop the damage to the brand name.
Ciao

If Dangerfield leaves Adelaide, you can rest assured that they will go after Gibbs and then we have some thinking to do in terms of what they are prepared to offer. Hawthorn are looking to replace Mitchell and Murphy could fit that bill for them. There is a window and assuming all of the stars align it would be an extremely brave move.
Adelaide must love us. Jacobs (AA), Eddy (has a pocket named after him FFS), and if they got Gibbs we may as well accept we are a development site.

If we are to recover it must be lead by senior players and we cannot afford to lose Judd, Simmo, Carrots, Murphy and Gibbs this year.

I would usually be horrified by such an idea but really, it's plausible.

Geelong's captain walked out on them in the early 2000's, they survived. Dogs looked to have improved without Griffen also. Sometimes, the captain just isn't that popular and it wouldn't surprise if this was the case with Murphy.

Unsure what Adelaide could offer us for Gibbs.

I'd go a step further and try out a few more after the month is out. Dick, Boekhurst, Johnson, Sheehan, Holman, DV-R (or is that DV+R), and depending on how they progress over the next few months in the Bullants, Foster and Fields. We'll never know how far away these guys are from making it at the top level by having them run around in the 'twos'. A rebuild starts from the bottom up. With regards to Graham, Johnson and Holman, I suspect it will be make or break for them.

Tuohey Docherty, Yarran, Walker, Jamison, Rowe Simpson are all starting players
Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Bell Everitt are definites and probably Cripps
Menzel, Henderson, Casboult same
add Kreuzer if he ever gets back on field

That is 17.

Carrazzo/Curnow/Wood/Jones/Boekhurst/Warnock/Graham/Whiley/Dick/Johnson/Holman/DVR/Smith/Armfield/Ellard/Byrne/Sheehan/Tutt/Buckley all competing for 5 spots in my book.

Malthouse doesn't have a lot of developed mids capable of outplaying Carrazzo and Curnow ...if Graham is best described as a McLean replacement - then he isn't anything much to look forward too - too slow to spread and run both ways. and not big enough to hurt in defence and accumulate hard contested ball at AFL level. Whiley may actually be more interesting...Buckley? too small ??

We lack a competitive 4 quarter clearance beast mobile ruckman - and have done since Jacobs left and Kreuzer was injured. There is no big bodied competitive beast to build center bounces and key clearances around - there i just an emergency in Wood who sadly is better than Warnock - both are uncompetitive mild types...

Tuohey needs space to play well - can he cut it in the midfield? By now I would have thought he would have been tried - given Sheehan and Byrne are likely to be competing fo rhis spot down back..menzel is too small to play a real midfield role just yet - and anyway can carlton afford his absence in the forward line? which brings me to Boekhurst - a ready made mid - but not playing....

After three years- Malthouse presents us with more questions than answers.

and Judd/Simpson/Carazzo pretty much an open question for 2016.

Lots of questions and growing concerns.

I think Mick is slowly losing the grip and it's sad to say but the media will have a bloodbath. He knew what he was getting into presumably , but his list renovation has not gone exaclyt to plan and team performance has been poor. How much can we endure?
By season send end it could be very bleak indeed, unless there's a mid season resurgence with a full complement available.
Let Mick have his milestone.
Meanwhile I'd be having a good look around , Bomber Thomspon would be a reasonable bet for the future, solid coach the could inspire the boys to do better.
Something has got to be done to stop the damage to the brand name.
Ciao

I'd prefer to not have a head coach who was complicit in a systematic doping scheme at their last club.

We have to hurt and get hurt and be seen to be hurt and hurting.

So much to like about the above thought..I bolded it..

you can lose a game- but should never be beaten.

I would usually be horrified by such an idea but really, it's plausible.

Geelong's captain walked out on them in the early 2000's, they survived. Dogs looked to have improved without Griffen also. Sometimes, the captain just isn't that popular and it wouldn't surprise if this was the case with Murphy.

Unsure what Adelaide could offer us for Gibbs.

That's the best part ...

Adelaide will get a first round compensation pick for Danger .

We'll take that plus a swap of our third round pick for their second round pick . They will finish higher than us so it won't be a huge upgrade but an upgrade into another second rounder none the less .

Adelaide will think they are in flag contention , losing Danger changes this , gaining Gibbs keeps them there .
Adelaide love Gibbs ... they will deal , they have to while their windows open .

Carrazzo/Curnow/Wood/Jones/Boekhurst/Warnock/Graham/Whiley/Dick/Johnson/Holman/DVR/Smith/Armfield/Ellard/Byrne/Sheehan/Tutt/Buckley all competing for 5 spots in my book.

Bolded names not for competing. Just need to get a handle on where they are at. The rest have been in the system long enough to showcase their abilities.

So we are supposed to believe that the game plan is sound because the Blues can manage competitive quarters in games. If that's the case then surely the same must apply to talent.

I'd prefer Mick spent less time blaming his 'cattle' and more time getting a four quarter effort out of every player. Lets see after a four quarter effort how the Blues' talent stacks up against the opposition.

That's the best part ...

Adelaide will get a first round compensation pick for Danger .

We'll take that plus a swap of our third round pick for their second round pick . They will finish higher than us so it won't be a huge upgrade but an upgrade into another second rounder none the less .

Adelaide will think they are in flag contention , losing Danger changes this , gaining Gibbs keeps them there .
Adelaide love Gibbs ... they will deal , they have to while their windows open .

Hypothetically, if they get a 1st rounder for Dangerfield, they will have 2 first rounders, one after the other, probably around the 12-14 range. I'd take both those for Gibbs if forced to. One pick around 12 and a 8 spot upgrade on our third rounder doesn't do much for us.

Will never happen... We would be on the bottom for the next 6 years and be a basket case like Melbourne have been. We haven't exactly got good young midfielders ready to take the lead in the midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back