Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with you 1000% ... to name a few in that category .... Everyone except Judd, Simmons, Buckley, Kruezer and very few others .... huge culprits Gibbs and Menzel ... they kill me have talent to burn but just like picking up the girls Saturday night .... hey baby I'm an AFL footballer aren't I awesome.

Show ponies that need to pull their fingers out big time. I don't blame the coach, if MM cannot do it and get these blokes hungry for success and doing the team think ... I don't think anyone can.

Scares the living crap out if me at the moment that the only talent we have are happy just to pick up their paycheck.

I just hope this is not the case but the evidence seems to be staring us all in the face week in week out.
They only seriously perform when they are trying to increase their contract value!
Err, isn't Gibbs in a long term committed relationship?

Err, isn't Gibbs in a long term committed relationship?
You know what I mean. Defend him if you must but the guy has talent to burn but no desire ... all he wants is the glory of being an AFL footballer without being the out and out champion he could be.
When the desire is there ... Like when his contract is up for renewal we see what he could be ... Once signed we see what he is.

Tell me I am lying.

You know what I mean. Defend him if you must but the guy has talent to burn but no desire ... all he wants is the glory of being an AFL footballer without being the out and out champion he could be.
When the desire is there ... Like when his contract is up for renewal we see what he could be ... Once signed we see what he is.

Tell me I am lying.
Once signed he produced the best form of his career. He seemingly does lack desire at times, at least not at Judd levels. But talking about him wanting money and picking up women is barking up the wrong tree. He is committed to both his club and his GF, signed for unders (read the info we had at the time), and then produced career best form. He could be more competitive and is below his best so far this season, but perhaps best not to make wild generalizations about his character.

If the club decides not to go with Mick next year (and frankly, my gut feeling is 60-40 that we won't) I don't want a previous senior AFL Coach with baggage, like Woosha or Voss, just to try appease an unhappy fan happy.

In my opinion, we need the best credentialed assistant out there, not some 'razzle dazzle' big name messiah figure (which Mick was)

Someone with a proven track record at VFL/SANFL or TAC Cup level, and also been an assistant at a successful AFL Club for five years or so, someone like 'Food and Drink' who has been a stunning success so far two games into his appointment.

I've said it before, but really, there is one man out there who fits the bill if we totally want to rebuild our footy club.

His name ? Leigh Tudor, his resume speaks for itself, think he's been an assistant at Geelong, Sydney and now North in the past five years, and I believe he also was coach of a TAC Cup team for year or two.

Does he not strike you as another Luke Beveridge ? If Mick goes, get Tudor on the blower, offer him a five year deal (with incentives for an extension after the third year) and let him shape/mould the team in his image. He reportedly has a great rapport with young players, and I think that's vital.

And if the club appoints him, Trigg and Loguidace should also be upfront with the members, come out and be honest, say that this is the path we're taking (going for a youth revolution with Leigh Tudor, and finals may be off the agenda for a couple of years)

A totally new assistant coaching panel handpicked by Tudor and more bloody funds pumped into the footy dept for skills training and strength and conditioning is essential.

The supporter base of this footy club (I'd like to believe) aren't mugs, but a more open and clear dialogue between the admin and fanbase is crucial.

I am not on the Sakc Mick bandwagon, but just suggesting that if the club decides not to renew Mick's contract, that's the path I think the club should take ..

Once signed he produced the best form of his career. He seemingly does lack desire at times, at least not at Judd levels. But talking about him wanting money and picking up women is barking up the wrong tree. He is committed to both his club and his GF, signed for unders (read the info we had at the time), and then produced career best form. He could be more competitive and is below his best so far this season, but perhaps best not to make wild generalizations about his character.

Its a generalization period ... It doesn't mean thats what he does it means thats how he plays.

Can you honestly tell me that he does not have the talent to be one of the best players in the comp?

Then please tell me why he is not ... why does he tease and then produce time and again what he produced Friday night?

Tired of hearing excuses for him ... it is time to deliver! Week in week out.

And I am sorry he did not get unders for what he has produced this year ... He is getting way overs.

Its time for a line in the sand ... no more bs performances from anyone.

It may take years but its better to build a championship team than a team of wanna be champions.

If the club decides not to go with Mick next year (and frankly, my gut feeling is 60-40 that we won't) I don't want a previous senior AFL Coach with baggage, like Woosha or Voss, just to try appease an unhappy fan happy.

In my opinion, we need the best credentialed assistant out there, not some 'razzle dazzle' big name messiah figure (which Mick was)

Someone with a proven track record at VFL/SANFL or TAC Cup level, and also been an assistant at a successful AFL Club for five years or so, someone like 'Food and Drink' who has been a stunning success so far two games into his appointment.

I've said it before, but really, there is one man out there who fits the bill if we totally want to rebuild our footy club.

His name ? Leigh Tudor, his resume speaks for itself, think he's been an assistant at Geelong, Sydney and now North in the past five years, and I believe he also was coach of a TAC Cup team for year or two.

Does he not strike you as another Luke Beveridge ? If Mick goes, get Tudor on the blower, offer him a five year deal (with incentives for an extension after the third year) and let him shape/mould the team in his image. He reportedly has a great rapport with young players, and I think that's vital.

And if the club appoints him, Trigg and Loguidace should also be upfront with the members, come out and be honest, say that this is the path we're taking (going for a youth revolution with Leigh Tudor, and finals may be off the agenda for a couple of years)

A totally new assistant coaching panel handpicked by Tudor and more bloody funds pumped into the footy dept for skills training and strength and conditioning is essential.

The supporter base of this footy club (I'd like to believe) aren't mugs, but a more open and clear dialogue between the admin and fanbase is crucial.

I am not on the Sakc Mick bandwagon, but just suggesting that if the club decides not to renew Mick's contract, that's the path I think the club should take ..

I have had it with quick fixes .. I say give MM a five year deal ... let him and SOS sort it out ... and they will.

But it will take 5 years! He has done it before and he will do it again ... Just a shame he did not realise the rubbish list we had before he signed. That was his only real mistake.

Its a generalization period ... It doesn't mean thats what he does it means thats how he plays.

Can you honestly tell me that he does not have the talent to be one of the best players in the comp?

Then please tell me why he is not ... why does he tease and then produce time and again what he produced Friday night?

Tired of hearing excuses for him ... it is time to deliver! Week in week out.

And I am sorry he did not get unders for what he has produced this year ... He is getting way overs.

Its time for a line in the sand ... no more bs performances from anyone.

It may take years but its better to build a championship team than a team of wanna be champions.
Yup it is a generalization. I was just pointing out that it is a bad one. I think he has the talent to be a fairly good mid, top rung but not a star. With good support he will decimate teams, but is not on the level of a Pandles or Hodge. Very few are. I think he has delivered what he can so far this year, Judd and Doc have been the only better players. We are just that bad right now.

Dont know if its been mentioned yet in this forum, but how bad was Micks press conference after the game.

Absolute doom and gloom about how crap our list is, our inability to recruit big name players and our lack of leadership. This is all after Round 2!

I know people will say he is speaking the truth, but good luck in getting the players up after this and getting more members to sign. We'll struggle to get 5 new nembers in 5 weeks let alobe 5000!
Agree that it didnt sound good but MM didnt mean Carlton specifically, he ment all middle to low tier teams that are years away from contention. Just came out wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree with pretty much everything you have written... Just wanted to throw in another name too. Nathan Bassett! I'm a Norwood fan and this guy turned the club from a basket case to win multiple premierships.

Dont know if its been mentioned yet in this forum, but how bad was Micks press conference after the game.

Absolute doom and gloom about how crap our list is, our inability to recruit big name players and our lack of leadership. This is all after Round 2!

I know people will say he is speaking the truth, but good luck in getting the players up after this and getting more members to sign. We'll struggle to get 5 new nembers in 5 weeks let alobe 5000!

Couldnt disagree more. Im totally sick of getting mixed messages and false hope from the club.

I want to see more honesty, not less. The club needs to take a good long hard and honest look at ourselves, and the clubs direction. I honestly get the feeling that we believe our own hype sometimes, and always to our own detriment.

While we have massive problems with the list as it stands in that we have skilled players that arent athletes, and arent prepared to go hard when its time to go. Very few repeat efforts and courage on display. A whole lot of half arsed chasing and hands on hips though.

Putting that to one side, there are massive issues with the players who after 3 years are still either not buying into Micks gameplan, not executing it properly or the gameplan itself not working.

Either our mids arent working hard enough (or arent fit enough) to cover the dozens of opposition runs straight through the centre I watched over the past two weeks. We got absolutely smashed in there. Either the gameplan is shit, or (for whatever reason) the players arent executing it properly.

Finally, I cant see where our goals are going to come from this year for us to kick a winning score. Can anyone? Honestly?

people seem quick to say our list is no good (fair point) yet just two years ago port were in the same boat now with a new coach an style they were peoples picks for the flag... ?
do you blame the players or system mick has put in place

Mick says Buckley is being taught a defensive game in the VFL

Hmm, and yet in most intra club games he was played FP

Perhaps he could have been played as a defender in the intra club games to fast track his defensive development, bec as Mick says himself we lack run currently

Perhaps Bucks is being taught defense as a small forward ??

Either way it is another thing that doesnt seem to add up

One thing that does please me is that we're not rushing this decision. MM isn't going anywhere, so let's see how the year pans out.

Yes and in the meantime, to keep the wolves from the door, the club, media and any leakers, should focus on the players (and in particular the experienced players / leaders) inability to show any leadership and conviction and desire.

The more the focus is on Mick, the more the players get off.

It is not just about Gibbs and Murphy, though by crikey they have been deplorable.

Jamison quite frankly should never have been put into the LG, a leader must be a reliable kick for one. And Rowe, well, the less said the better.

The list goes on.

people seem quick to say our list is no good (fair point) yet just two years ago port were in the same boat now with a new coach an style they were peoples picks for the flag... ?
do you blame the players or system mick has put in place

Who knows how things will pan out, but, I for one was amazed Port were so bad a couple years back - I distinctly recall looking at their list thinking it was decent. Good tall defenders, hard arsed quality midfield leaders , etc.

Can we say the Carlton list has latent talent?

Again it comes down to leadership and in my view Murphy and Gibbs lack that hard arsed desire to lead this midfield group (and in turn team). Maybe they will be better when Judd retires. Maybe they sub-consciously think he will do the job when he plays. I recall they played better I think when Judd was out. Mick always felt COll wouldnt thrive until Buckley was gone.

Not only do you read too many threads you remember them as well.
Don't know about reading too many, gotta get my value out of the place I suppose. Best we be accountable for the things we say, at least you didn't deny it and abuse the bejesus out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back