Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is our new coach for 2016 ..

View attachment 129912

(Heard Whispers about Woosha back to Carlton sometime last season, believe he is the favoured choice of the club's power brokers) ..

Sorry to intrude guys but for your sake you don't want Woosh. He's a great motivator but not great on tactics.

Im still hot on McKenna....looks like he was harshy sacked by gold coast, and if Malthouse was happy to move into a more list manager/director of coaching type position....similar to what collingwood had planned.....then i'd do it.

So I head Malthouse yet again this week say we can't play with a game plan like the top teams because we don't have the players!!!
So rather than playing with a game plan that allows us to be competitive, we play with a game plan that sees us get smashed to pieces every week!!

Lets say Malthouse went to Port and took the job instead of Hinkley... Based on Malthouse's theory he would have them playing the boring predictable, boundary hugging game plan he has Carlton playing... they would be sitting well and truly in the bottom four!!

Lets say Malthouse was coaching the Bulldogs now... Based on Malthouse's theory he would have them playing the boring predictable, boundary hugging game plan he has Carlton playing... they would be sitting well and truly in the bottom four!!

The Dogs are 4-1 and just knocked over Sydney... Tore Adelaide to shreds last week with an exciting, hard running game plan.

Modern game plan + effort = results

Modern game plan + fluctuating effort = up and down results

Stone age game plan + effort = continuous losing (this was us)

Stone age game plan + fluctuating effort = continuous smashings (this is us now)

Either Mick
a) Has no idea what a modern game plan looks like
b) Has no idea how to implement a modern game plan
c) Refuses to implement a modern game plan based on his core beliefs I have mentioned above.

GET RID OF THIS IDIOT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im still hot on McKenna....looks like he was harshy sacked by gold coast, and if Malthouse was happy to move into a more list manager/director of coaching type position....similar to what collingwood had planned.....then i'd do it.
No way MM would do that.

No way MM would do that.
If its more of a part time job, and gives him the chance to redeem his name (which has been tarnished at carlton) whilst also having more time to commit to family....he may be interested if he is working with the right senior coach.

Particularly if we tell he we wont sign him for next season.....he doesnt want a media gig.

Or his para-military lieutenant
24070.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the bulldogs show what a good coach who knows his players strengths can do, seriously there is no way the bulldogs list is better than ours, and every single footy judge would have said the same before round 1.

The Bulldogs list has significantly more talent and was so before seasons start. They have a very good spread of under 24 yrs players with the 40+ games under their belt now. That's good stuff whatever you and your likers are on.

I think the bulldogs show what a good coach who knows his players strengths can do, seriously there is no way the bulldogs list is better than ours, and every single footy judge would have said the same before round 1.

The Carlton list is miles behind the bulldogs list. Liam Jones is the perfect example. Last year he couldn't get a game for us in the the second half of the year yet he walks into your best 22. Half the problem with Carlton seems to be this refusal to accept they need a significant rebuild. You need to bottom out for a couple years and go to the draft and get some A grade talent to build a team around. That's what the dogs have done the last three years. Macrae, Bontempelli, Stringer and the Boyd trade. Imagine you add those four to Murphy and Gibbs and you can start to build a team around that. Malthouse is a proven coach but I don't think he can survive the inevitable 3 to 4 years of a rebuild that is ahead so I agree you probably need a younger new coach.

Wont surprise if there is some kind of announcement this week.
Unlikely that MM will be at the club in 2016.

Not sure there is a lot to be gained by him seeing out his contract, wouldn't surprise if the club does make a move this week.

I don't hate Carlton (at the moment), and Mick is pretty much the reason. He's the wrong guy for your club, even if it's just for that. A strong Carlton makes it all more interesting.

I can't select a single Carlton player that has improved under him. Murphy and Gibbs actually seem to have regressed.

You need new coach with no baggage, fresh ideas, and a commitment to long term improvement.

Casboult has done nothing to keep his place in the side and Watson can't replace him as he can't do the ruck work. If anything Watson would be a replacement for Jones if he was dropped.

With Casboult out of the side it made absolute sense for Warnock to come in.

Once Kreuzer is back one of Warnock or Wood will be out of the side and it will push Casboult even further behind as Kreuzer needs to be eased back into things. Once Kreuzer is able to take more of the ruck work i'd imagine Casboult will be a chance to return IF he shows something in the seconds.

Please explain, because I couldn't understand the logic?

Casboult takes as many marks in one game as Warnock would in a season. Our clearances around the ball ups this season has not been a weakness and hit outs is Warnock's only strong point. We don't deliver the ball to our forwards we bomb it in to a contested situation, who is our best contested mark? It ain't Warnock.

I am not having a go at you but would love to know the logic behind bringing Warnock in for a KP defender????

I think MM is very set in his ways. He has a right to be, his phillosophies have held him in good stead over 715 games. However the game has moved on. It's different to how it was 2 years ago let alone 10 years ago. The new wave of coaches are having a huge impact, Beverage, Walsh, Hinkley. This club needs to be dragged into the 21st century, in more ways than one.

So I head Malthouse yet again this week say we can't play with a game plan like the top teams because we don't have the players!!!
So rather than playing with a game plan that allows us to be competitive, we play with a game plan that sees us get smashed to pieces every week!!

Lets say Malthouse went to Port and took the job instead of Hinkley... Based on Malthouse's theory he would have them playing the boring predictable, boundary hugging game plan he has Carlton playing... they would be sitting well and truly in the bottom four!!

Lets say Malthouse was coaching the Bulldogs now... Based on Malthouse's theory he would have them playing the boring predictable, boundary hugging game plan he has Carlton playing... they would be sitting well and truly in the bottom four!!

The Dogs are 4-1 and just knocked over Sydney... Tore Adelaide to shreds last week with an exciting, hard running game plan.

Modern game plan + effort = results

Modern game plan + fluctuating effort = up and down results

Stone age game plan + effort = continuous losing (this was us)

Stone age game plan + fluctuating effort = continuous smashings (this is us now)

Either Mick
a) Has no idea what a modern game plan looks like
b) Has no idea how to implement a modern game plan
c) Refuses to implement a modern game plan based on his core beliefs I have mentioned above.

GET RID OF THIS IDIOT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully I won't get potted for this intrusion...

But for obvious reasons, I've watched MM closely since he came to you.

The comparisons you make above are too difficult given there are just too many variables between each club and hence coaching job.

Mick's game plan did obviously work for us. And I remember people ripping into him about it on our board in the few years before 2010. Then in 2010, when it all came together, with the plan and the list, etc. we tore teams up with a high scoring wide goal spread attack. It was exhilarating.

At the moment, your list is not great and playing even worse. In addition to the thin talent, you've got key injuries. I sort of understand that Mick's trying to stay defensive by hugging the boundary to given you an even chance of a throw in if there's a turnover and also to make the path to your own goal harder if opposition takes possession. If you turn it over up the middle, you'll get regularly destroyed.

The real question for mine is whether Mick can still motivate and get the best out of players. It's always been his strength, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment - perhaps due to the pressure and uncertainty around him. (I will concede it's a worry players seem to have gone backwards. Murphy used to be a gun, and Yarran used to destroy us.)

I didn't like Mick's behaviour even with us, and I really disliked him in 2011. And that was before he went to our sworn enem and took Daisy...
With that in mind, I'd love to see him go. But in actual fact, I suspect if the board was wiling to bottom out, throw everything into astute drafting and development, and back Mick to the hilt for 5 years, I reckon he'd bring results. It would also send a very clear message to all about change of administrative mindset.

In Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Cripps, Docherty, Yarran, Rowe, Buckley and Menzel, you've got something. At most I'd trade one of Murphy or Gibbs (maybe Jamieson if he brings a decent price). Where's Walker at?

Oh, and get rid of Edelsten in the box. That's an APPALLING look. Some commentator described it as "Weekend at Bernies" - LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back