Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was speaking with a Port Adelaide supporter today. He was glowing in terms of Laidley's record as an assistant rebuilder when Primus took over from Choco in 2010 - Aided in clearing the decks, so that by the time he left in late 2011, the foundations had been laid for Hinkley in 2013.

With a grain of salt, of course.

Thats why I don't think we would sack MM, to pay him out would most likely require the money from either the Pratt or Mathieson families & I am hoping LoGiudice & Trigg don't want that hanging around their necks.
He's out of contract at the end of the year so paying him out isn't going to cost that much. Especially if you appoint of of the assitants as an interem coach and don't appoint anyone until end of the season

He's out of contract at the end of the year so paying him out isn't going to cost that much. Especially if you appoint of of the assitants as an interem coach and don't appoint anyone until end of the season

I am aware of that....... you forget that not only will we have to pay out the remainder of his contract, we would have to increase the pay of one of our assistants who steps up as caretaker or pay a full other wage if it is someone external who came in as caretaker.

I am aware of that....... you forget that not only will we have to pay out the remainder of his contract, we would have to increase the pay of one of our assistants who steps up as caretaker or pay a full other wage if it is someone external who came in as caretaker.

As he is said, we're paying Mick regardless. The only extra cost is whatever we pay someone to take over the rest of the year. An assistant would only be looking for a small bonus to do the job.

Unless MM retires which I think that is what MLG & Trigg are hoping for, MM is too smart to walk IMHO.

He doesn't need to walk. We pay for him if he walks or stays. That's not extra expense. The only extra expense is what we pay for a caretaker coach.

He doesn't need to walk. We pay for him if he walks or stays. That's not extra expense. The only extra expense is what we pay for a caretaker coach.

If he walks he is breaking the contract & I would have thought like most employment contracts him breaking the contract voids it, thus no requirement to pay the remainder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he walks he is breaking the contract & I would have thought like most employment contracts him breaking the contract voids it, thus no requirement to pay the remainder.
If this was standard contract you would be right. Malthouse quitting would be done via a consultative approach and you would most likely have a settlement. At this stage of the season, I would expect circa 80% of the contract paid out (which leaves $200k for the club to spend on the caretaker) leaving the net position as no impact to the club.

As opposed to the cost of keeping him on where supporters will continually not show up to games and in return the losses at the gate will hurt more. The majority of supporters want to see change and there will be renewed interest from the masses as a result.I do however feel for Mick, and believe the whole club should take a good hard look at themselves not just the coach. Starting with the board.......

I don't want to come over here and sound like a smart arse (my team is travelling only a little better atm), but Mick has clearly lost the players. Sure your list isn't the best, but it is playing well below its capacity. Carlton play a lot of man on man defence which in todays football just doesn't cut it. Structures of opposition teams means this type of defence is ineffective. It may be ok to switch to it for a short time to unsettle the opposition but not on an almost full-time basis. It certainly doesn't work if the players are only putting in 90%.
So, if I was the Carlton President, I would tell Mick he is out. The Carlton brand is being trashed and ANYTHING would be better than what your team is putting out at the moment. Your team needs a change to give both players and supporters hope. Money isn't even an issue because if nobody turns up for games you will lose much more than Mick's payout.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Carlton 'brand' was trashed ever since we got done for Salary Cap rorts in 2002 and lost all our draft picks.

The Carlton FC I grew up with is dead, the days of us winning multiple premierships every decade is over (least for the foreseeable future)

It is unfair to pin the damage to Carlton's image on Mick (or Pagan) that ship sailed long ago, the SS Pigs Arse, steered by Admiral Elliot and his subordinates, Ian Collins and Graham Smorgon etc.

The Mick has to go calls are valid and reasonable, saying he has destroyed/ruining the club's standing in the AFL community is not (despite what James Hird's minister for propaganda, Robbo tells you)

Fuming at how Robbo has gunned for Mick all year, especially when wrote whining sob articles on the suffering of James Hird and the bullying of players on social media.

His articles on Mick are borderline bullying, to sat the least, they are condescending and insulting to a man who has been a marvel to the game, first coach to coach an interstate club to a flag, all times games coaching record holder.

Mark Robinson's vindictive witch hunt is part of the reason I support Mick's surly behaviour towards journalists over the years, all the world's great coaches were like that (Sir Alex Ferguson springs to mind)

So, sacking Mick means Wiley jumps. The $ saved there simplifies things, not complicate them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Laidley jumps as well, I said that a few days ago, those two guys are close friends of Mick, if Laidley stays on after Mick goes, no way is he going we become caretaker, out of respect for his friend and coaching mentor.

Exactly. Presumably his contract ends in 14 weeks (though I suppose it could be a few weeks later). We would need to be approx 20% of his remaining yearly salary. This should not come into consideration if this is deemed in the best interest of the club and the players.

I've been anti Barker like the rest of them, but am warming to giving him a crack as senior coach. He's spent time under Ratten and Malthouse and will be able to identify what has and hasn't worked with this group. You have to wonder how much the failings under him as coach had to do with the players available and the strategies being implemented.

Our key defensive players last year were quite strong with him at the helm, and have fallen away this year under the most pressure any defense in the league has felt. Our forward line utilized its strengths in Betts and Garlett, when we didn't have the tall timber to kick goals.

He'll need to perform very well to be considered the future coach, but he cant be worse than Malthouse is currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back