Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone flirted with the idea the he may be under instruction to pick a team that doesnt look sus but is actually no hope of winning....i only say this because to me the selection wood and warnock in the same team seems crazy, 2 slow lumbering ruckmen + casbolt and jones...doesnt add up

I did entertain the idea that they may be on the same page. If people think Mick has to win games to keep his job, then playing senior players who aren't up to it to get wins smacks of desperation. They make it seem that their philosophies are at odds, then extend his contract for the rebuild anyway. The club trying to make it seem that we are resistant to losing games and finishing last.

It's a little unwieldy though so probably not.

If they came out now (or soon) and said "Mick will coach out the year and then retire, we'll start the process of looking for a new coach now so they're ready to go day 1 of pre-season", that'd be the best outcome for all. At least then the pressure valve on the players/coaches would be released somewhat and an interim coach wouldn't get credit for the team playing better once that pressure was reduced.

i.e. Please don't let Barker coach.

Patrick Smith Article
When Carlton locked in Mick Malthouse as coach towards the end of his gap year in 2012 the Blues were entitled to puff up their permanently inflated chest.

Malthouse had walked away from Collingwood where he had reigned for more than a decade. His last three seasons at the club had delivered a grand final (2011), a premiership (2010) and a preliminary final loss (2009) to eventual premiers Geelong.

Malthouse was a coach at the peak of his powers and he knew it. So, it was no surprise he fought a guerilla war of words with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and his transition plan that would see Malthouse hand over the senior job to Nathan Buckley at the end of 2011. Such was the hubris that covered the club like chocolate topping that year, all churned by Malthouse’s indignation that he was to be supplanted by Buckley, that a second consecutive premiership was just about impossible.

So Malthouse spent a year in the media — he was very good even though he was deep in enemy territory — before he moved to Carlton, a club who historically thought salary cap was a misspelt recipe ingredient.

The three-time premiership coach inherited a club that had been coached to its maximum output by Brett Ratten. Now in his third year Malthouse and the club recognise the list is plain, the spirit numb. In the middle of last year new club president Mark LoGiudice said they would only look at extending Malthouse’s three-year contract in the second half of this season. Such a decision has brought intolerable pressure on the Blues as they now sit last on the ladder with one win from eight games.

It is argued generally that the players no longer play for the coach.

The players? Don’t play for the man who has coached the most games in competition history and won three premierships? How could that be? They ought throw rose petals before him as he struts about the football field.

Malthouse says the season has been derailed by president LoGiudice’s early-season announcement that the club was rebuilding; that is AFL code for every man for himself. Then a consideration by chief executive Steve Trigg whether Malthouse, at 61, had the fire and energy to drive a long-term regeneration only further rattled Malthouse’s sense of security.

But last week’s Malthouse declaration — that the public admission the Blues were rebuilding had damaged the season — further soured the relationship between coach and club.

Right now, Malthouse is talking himself out of a job just as he talked himself out of a much grander legacy at Collingwood.

Trigg and the board, under LoGiudice’s rudder, are trying to remake Carlton, a club that has been unable to define what it stands for ever since John Elliott’s era of swagger and smoke. Elliott’s sway stood for many things but no one was ever in doubt Carlton were an arrogant, independent and competitive beast.

Malthouse is damaging his own brand. A coaching legend who has led teams in a record 718 games is distracted by minutiae and the unimportant. He fights with the media over the most meaningless things. Rather than publicly embrace the club’s reinvention he rails against it.

In his final year at Collingwood he went to war against club chief executive Gary Pert and president McGuire. He opted out of the final three years of his lucrative contract to be director of coaching. But he had been so destabilising in his final year as senior coach Collingwood may well have torn up the contract anyway.

At Collingwood he whittled away at his own place in the club’s history. At Carlton he is taunting the administration to sack him. He is trashing his reputation as one of the great coaches in Australian sport.

Personally, he is putting pressure upon himself that he hardly needs. He looks tired, even stressed in media interviews.

If Carlton parts way with Malthouse he will be a hard act to follow. But followed he will be. Hawthorn’s premiership coach Alastair Clarkson must be at the top of Carlton’s list of likely replacements. While the Hawks are this season chasing a hat-trick of premierships, they have won just four from eight matches and yet to win two games in a row. Last time the Hawks were similarly placed was in 2009 when they ultimately finished ninth. Even then though they had at least put two wins together, beating West Coast and Carlton in rounds five and six.

Clarkson is out of contract at the end of next season but, given that he has been at the club for a decade, Carlton would not be doing due diligence if they did not speak to the three-time premiership coach.

The Blues may well find that coach and club have worn each other out.

Malthouse can put an end to all this speculation of course. He needs to stick to the script and do what few others have ever done better in the history of the game. And that’s coach.

The board need to grow a set of balls and stand behind Mick. Get LaGuidice, Trigg and Mick all in a presser, and let everyone know that they're not going to be dictated by mob mentality, when it comes to running our club. We have to stop letting knee jerk reactions from fans, media and power brokers dictate the running of Carlton. That's half the reason the club is ****ed right now. Mick's had a horror run with injuries this season, with 5-7 players missing from our starting team every week, and some very inexperienced players on the park. Couple that with our very mediocre list, and the fact that he lost Betts, Duigan, Waite, Garlett, Robinson and Scotland in the last season or two and you have a recipe for disaster. This is not to mention the mental state of the players at the moment with talk of ruthless trading and losing their coach. Give Mick the rest of the year for ****'s sake, he deserves at least that much.

The board need to grow a set of balls and stand behind Mick. Get LaGuidice, Trigg and Mick all in a presser, and let everyone know that they're not going to be dictated by mob mentality, when it comes to running our club. We have to stop letting knee jerk reactions from fans, media and power brokers dictate the running of Carlton. That's half the reason the club is stuffed right now. Mick's had a horror run with injuries this season, with 5-7 players missing from our starting team every week, and some very inexperienced players on the park. Couple that with our very mediocre list, and the fact that he lost Betts, Duigan, Waite, Garlett, Robinson and Scotland in the last season or two and you have a recipe for disaster. This is not to mention the mental state of the players at the moment with talk of ruthless trading and losing their coach. Give Mick the rest of the year for ****'s sake, he deserves at least that much.

He deserves no such thing! This isn't about Mick and it never has been, this is about our club climbing back up the ladder. The old self indulgent fool has had his say, like Smith said, he's a destabilizing influence, time to cut him adrift and let him go crazy out at sea. Injuries can excuse losses to some extent but they most certainly do not excuse being uncompetitive trash and that's what we've become under his reign.

The board need to grow a set of balls and stand behind Mick. Get LaGuidice, Trigg and Mick all in a presser, and let everyone know that they're not going to be dictated by mob mentality, when it comes to running our club. We have to stop letting knee jerk reactions from fans, media and power brokers dictate the running of Carlton. That's half the reason the club is stuffed right now. Mick's had a horror run with injuries this season, with 5-7 players missing from our starting team every week, and some very inexperienced players on the park. Couple that with our very mediocre list, and the fact that he lost Betts, Duigan, Waite, Garlett, Robinson and Scotland in the last season or two and you have a recipe for disaster. This is not to mention the mental state of the players at the moment with talk of ruthless trading and losing their coach. Give Mick the rest of the year for ****'s sake, he deserves at least that much.
What is the other half of the reason why we are in this position? You don't allow players to leave a club unless you have better replacements for them. It's plain to see that Mick and the board are not on the same page. The board itself have no idea how to run a football club. As for the mental state of the players. I dont think it has anything to do with what MLO and Trigg has said about a rebuild. The players aren't allowed to play football the way it should be played. It's a negative style and they are scared to make a mistake. Any attacking flair that they had has been coached out of them. I dont care how long mick has been in the game. He has been at carlton for 3 years. I have been a member for over 30. Get rid of him now

He deserves no such thing! This isn't about Mick and it never has been, this is about our club climbing back up the ladder. The old self indulgent fool has had his say, like Smith said, he's a destabilizing influence, time to cut him adrift and let him go crazy out at sea. Injuries can excuse losses to some extent but they most certainly do not excuse being uncompetitive trash and that's what we've become under his reign.

Your right this is not about Mick (even thou it is his thread:)).

It is about our CLUB, about our club not going down the same path it has always done in the past.
It is about our CLUB not taking the easy (Messiah) way and actually doing the right thing an putting in place long term plans to bring our CLUB back to successful prominence.
Sacking the coach is a knee jerk reaction. The CLUB has said that it will talk to Mick during the second half of the season.
The CLUB has to stick to that statement so that we can see that they truly are prepared to do what is necessary to make this CLUB great again.
Media and Supporters be damned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its reaching a point where I just don't give a damn anymore, this club is becoming more unstable than Burkina Faso, disputed zone.

Now I read that Tom Elliott is set to challenge for the Carlton presidency. (according to Australian Financial Review)

The problems at out footy club run much deeper than Mick, if only Mike Fitzpatrick and a new board could take over, least we could have some political stability for once.

I want my footy club back :mad:

Its reaching a point where I just don't give a damn anymore, this club is becoming more unstable than Burkina Faso, disputed zone.

Now I read that Tom Elliott is set to challenge for the Carlton presidency. (according to Australian Financial Review)

The problems at out footy club run much deeper than Mick, if only Mike Fitzpatrick and a new board could take over, least we could have some political stability for once.

Hey DVB, do you have a link to the Elliot story? Google isnt giving me anything. If more than just a rumour, might be thread worthy.

I have the same feel as well. With Carlton when the good teams go left we go right. We've been doing things badly for so long I just get the feeling that we're always on the verge of making the wrong decision. It's difficult to have faith in a club that has shown nothing and done nothing right for 20 years. I will be flabbergasted if we get to the end of the season and take no notice of the blood thirsty media, angry fans and do a proper review and make cool collected decisions in regards to the coach and other positions.

My gut tells me that we'll sack mick, make the angry fans and media happy, puff out our chest and surprise the masses with a new and popular signing and chase that eternal elusive quick fix... and history will repeat itself.

It has not helped matters that since arriving at Carlton, Trigg has been clearly anti MM. Whether he formed that view or whether it was thrust upon him is debatable. Obviously ST very grateful that Carlton were prepared to give him a job after his **** up at Adelaide. Are we seriously suggesting there was no one better or has the AFL become such a Boy's club that they are incapable of hiring someone from outside the game? If Trigg and MM are going to spend the next few weeks using the media to send public messages back and forth well then the club will become a bigger laughing stock than it already is. Next season will become a catastrophe in terms of trying to attract members so all concerned if this keeps going on. The club need to focus on closing ranks and not discussing anything about the coaching until a decision is made.

Is that the same Mike Fitzpatrick that heads up the most corrupt , morally bankrupt sporting organization in Australia ?

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...blues-supporters/story-fnp04d70-1227367417552

By Sam Edmund in todays' Herald Sun

Some snippets:

There is a growing feeling among influential Carlton people that the 10-strong panel has grown stale and isn’t fit to lead a club that needs to undergo significant regeneration.

“The big challenge Carlton has got is you’ve got a group of people who have been making the same decisions for the last seven to nine years,” said a source familiar with the workings of the club.

Great article from the Herald Sun (of all places). The heat is well and truly on this board!

Hopefully change is coming!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, Carlton has always had trouble attracting members, Carlton fans have been fickle to the extreme in that regard.
We may lose a couple of thousand fans this year but 100% guarantee that they will swarm back when we are successful.

We have to do this right. We can not continue the way we have in the past. That will not bring success.
Successful clubs are built from the TOP down. This is where we see if that is going to happen at our Club.

The President, Board, CEO, Football Manager, List Manager and Coach all have to be on the same page.
If the Coach (in this case) is not (and it appears that way) then they are dispatched at the appropriate time.
This is what our CEO and President have stated will occur. Now they have to be true to that.

Your right this is not about Mick (even thou it is his thread:)).

It is about our CLUB, about our club not going down the same path it has always done in the past.
It is about our CLUB not taking the easy (Messiah) way and actually doing the right thing an putting in place long term plans to bring our CLUB back to successful prominence.
Sacking the coach is a knee jerk reaction. The CLUB has said that it will talk to Mick during the second half of the season.
The CLUB has to stick to that statement so that we can see that they truly are prepared to do what is necessary to make this CLUB great again.
Media and Supporters be damned.
Sacking Mick when we have said he wont be sacked will reflect badly on the club. The media will crack onto the old "Carlton and quick fixes" rants and they would be right. I dont want him coaching next year but I want him to see the year out.

Mind you if I ever see Wood and Warnock lumbering around together in our forward 50 again I will be calling for him to be hanged, not sacked. I am not a coach's butt crack but even I knew that was a mindbogglingly dumb selection. Even from a tanking perspective, we would have still lost resoundingly with a more balanced team. WTF.

We are all feeling like this.
Just a sense of hopelessness at the moment and yet another wasted season with no end of this in sight.

He brought in Thomas who has been a raging failure. Collingwood were smart; knowing his ankles were shot, and he was past his best. The hit to us was exacerbated by the fact that by virtue of his coming to the club, we lost the right to a compensation pick for Betts. Oh the dismay.

Hey DVB, do you have a link to the Elliot story? Google isnt giving me anything. If more than just a rumour, might be thread worthy.

Post a link to the article on the Carlton in the media thread mate :)

Supporting the team I'll never stop doing, watching them week in week out is done for 2015!

If Mick leaves I think we should consider Kirk. By seasons end will have completed a 3 year apprenticeship under Lyon. Won't accept the no tackling pressure attitude of our squad & will know what it takes to build a contested footy side! Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back