Mid Gippy

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought that if a club could afford to spend a little bit of money, then they have every right to do it. Why would it be anyone else's concern? Who cares?

So now you say "spend a little bit of money" thats more sensible.

As far as" who cares " ask the blokes selling the raffle tickets, the ladies selling hot dogs, the committe members working their guts out raising funds and ask the loyal players training 2 nights a week and playing for the love of it. 50% of the time the locals are just as good any way.

So now you say "spend a little bit of money" thats more sensible.

As far as" who cares " ask the blokes selling the raffle tickets, the ladies selling hot dogs, the committe members working their guts out raising funds and ask the loyal players training 2 nights a week and playing for the love of it. 50% of the time the locals are just as good any way.

Fair enough. The locals are normally just as good. I guess clubs buy in players to help top up the good local talent. Its a fine line, really. If you have 4 guns playing for your team and the team finishes 8th with 4 wins, you risk losing those players (in some circumstances) to other clubs because they play their guts out and still come up a long way short. Alternatively, if you buy 14 players to help those 4, then you risk losing a heap who have been the heart and soul of the club for years.

Those blokes selling the raffle tickets and the ladies selling the hot dogs etc are all under no illusion as to why they are doing it. They dont ask the questions. They just sell the tickets and hotdogs knowing it goes to something. My wife works the canteen at home games and has never complained that all her hard work went into a player's pocket. It's just the way of things, I guess.

People will also be suprised at the difference in the social club at Newborough when they arrive this year. A lot of work has gone in over the summer by people at the club and it looks fantastic.

1.Dyer
2.Farrel
3.Webb
4.C.Butler
5.Kyriacou
6.Thorpe
7.Burnett
8.R.Holdsworth
9.Peters
10.Gelagotis
11.Busutill
12.Savige
13.Atkinson
14.Dawson
15.J. Holdsworth
16.Shelcott
17.Ayton
18.Visser
19.Munro
20.T.Leys

Hard enough having a crack at a top 20 let alone 50!!

Gelagotis and no Traill?
Munro and no Chandler?

Dont take any offense, mate. It is always hard to do, particularly when we are at the start of the season, not the end when it is all fresh.

Who else knows how clubs went on week end? Dropped into traf vs nilma game, traf smashed them, butler boy had ball on string, rhys holsworht kicked 6, d grimma was great off back line and they had 2 very good new ruck man, nilma on the other hand r so shit was embrassing when traf 2nds still beat there ones going to be a long year for them
I wouldnt read too much into that game, We had about 25 players turn up from what i hear because the time of the game was changed on the thurs night from 2 to 6:30 and a heap of blokes already had plans. It will be a long year for sure for us in the EDFL where the top 6 to 8 teams are so strong now. We played Newborough the week before and they seemed to be very well drilled and structured and i hope they can go a fair way this year.

Fair enough. The locals are normally just as good. I guess clubs buy in players to help top up the good local talent. Its a fine line, really. If you have 4 guns playing for your team and the team finishes 8th with 4 wins, you risk losing those players (in some circumstances) to other clubs because they play their guts out and still come up a long way short. Alternatively, if you buy 14 players to help those 4, then you risk losing a heap who have been the heart and soul of the club for years.

Those blokes selling the raffle tickets and the ladies selling the hot dogs etc are all under no illusion as to why they are doing it. They dont ask the questions. They just sell the tickets and hotdogs knowing it goes to something. My wife works the canteen at home games and has never complained that all her hard work went into a player's pocket. It's just the way of things, I guess.

People will also be suprised at the difference in the social club at Newborough when they arrive this year. A lot of work has gone in over the summer by people at the club and it looks fantastic.
We will answer this question in june about the club up and about. its good though dont get me wrong! just takes one person and it all goes pear shaped. looking at your comment abit earlier battista! i watched him in your praccy games you can not tell me he would play 1s?? you have better players then him.

Gelagotis and no Traill?
Munro and no Chandler?

Dont take any offense, mate. It is always hard to do, particularly when we are at the start of the season, not the end when it is all fresh.

Yeah Trail should be in there too, he did pip Gelagotis for the goalkicking. I just thought Munro was more damaging on the scoreboard over the year but Chandler was probably just as consistent without scoring as much.

What about hillends coach? tymonson he can play for a duck arse

If Tymensen was fit and could string a dozen games together he'd be top 5 in this comp easy, I just don't think this comp has seen the best of him.
He missed a lot of games last year and seemed to play injured a bit.

Ken Towt is another one I missed, he had a great year for Boolarra.

If Tymensen was fit and could string a dozen games together he'd be top 5 in this comp easy, I just don't think this comp has seen the best of him.
He missed a lot of games last year and seemed to play injured a bit.

Ken Towt is another one I missed, he had a great year for Boolarra.
yeah forgot all about towty and butler and Rhys holdsworth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1- Webb
2 - Dyer
3 - Trail
4 - Visser
5 - Burnett
6 - Butler
7 - Stevens
8 - Hammond
9 - Busutill
10 - Peters
11 - Berchtold
12 - Dobson
13 - Sherriff
14 - Atkinson
15 - McFarlane
16 - Kyriacou
17 - Towt
18 - Farrell
19 - Chandler
20 - Stanistreet
21 - Damchke
22 - Martin
23 - Mullins
24 - Saviage
25 - Dean Gray
26 - Gelegotis
27 - Dawson
28 - Mills
29 - Burgman
30 - B Palmer

I reckon, Underdogz, from what I have seen from our 1st 2 praccie matches, that we hopefully have addressed a couple of the deficiencies from the Semi final loss to Mirboo.

Obviously we were smashed in the ruck by Don. His ability to make his way into defense after the tap and force us wide was huge. Hopefully Hancock can do the same thing, but first and foremost, give our mids the first use of the ball a little more often than we had it last year. 12 wins and an Elim final win wasnt bad for a team that got it out of the ruckman's hands only 25% of the time.

Our defense was also exposed on the day. Not having a large key defender that would hit a pack, or hit a body regularly was a major problem. We think we might have solved this issue with the inclusion of Payne, Kennedy and, believe it or not, D. Disisto, although all three are equally adept in the forward half. Indeed Payne and Kennedy could also play midfield if required as well.

Risol will be the wildcard, in my opinion. Destroyed an admittedly undermanned Glengarry the other night and any queries on his fitness or his supposed knee problems have been put to bed. He can play anywhere but will most likely play up forward or mid.

Galegotis is ready to go, as are Batista and a couple of other smalls we have picked up.

As mentioned before, Hancock will hopefully give our mids a bit of the pill so, in reference to Mirboo Nth, we wont have to begin our attacks from half back as often, thus hopefully diminishing the effectiveness of Don Webb in floating a kick behind play.

I wouldn''t think we would be tagging too many players this year as like last year, we prefer to back ourselves and go head to head.

One thing is for certain: it will be a vastly different make up from the team you saw last year.

Is it good enough to win a flag?

Remains to be seen. But we expect to be better than we were last year, but the other challengers are just the same. As I have said previously, the comp is getting better and it's going to be a ripper of a year.

I cant wait.
Certainly splashing out the coin, heard some big numbers. Batista supposed to be OK also.

1- Webb
2 - Dyer
3 - Trail
4 - Visser
5 - Burnett
6 - Butler
7 - Stevens
8 - Hammond
9 - Busutill
10 - Peters
11 - Berchtold
12 - Dobson
13 - Sherriff
14 - Atkinson
15 - McFarlane
16 - Kyriacou
17 - Towt
18 - Farrell
19 - Chandler
20 - Stanistreet
21 - Damchke
22 - Martin
23 - Mullins
24 - Saviage
25 - Dean Gray
26 - Gelegotis
27 - Dawson
28 - Mills
29 - Burgman
30 - B Palmer

Hammond from Thorpy? Thorpe is a gun, while Leys carried Boolarras ruck division all by himself last season.

Hammond from Thorpy? Thorpe is a gun, while Leys carried Boolarras ruck division all by himself last season.

Yes, yes Dan Hammond from Thorpy. You don't rate him? Just because a player holds down a position for a season doesn't make them a star. It means they are a goer fighting above their weight. Alot of clubs have players have a crack in the ruck because they have no one else to play there.

They are called good honest toilers.

Yes, yes Dan Hammond from Thorpy. You don't rate him? Just because a player holds down a position for a season doesn't make them a star. It means they are a goer fighting above their weight. Alot of clubs have players have a crack in the ruck because they have no one else to play there.

Yeah but they're not in the top 10 players in the league. Where would he play for Traf Farts?

Tyson Leys isn't the tallest ruckman going around and constantly holds his own and yet you don't mention him lol.

Do i sense a Thorpy Spuds and Traf Farts connection?

Can't say i've heard of Hammond but Mullins goes alright in the ruck for Thorpey, he's a big unit.

Webb
Farrell
Kyriacou
K.butler
B.burnett
D.taylor
J.holmes
Stainstreet
Trail
R. Holds worth
Budge
Visser