Midfield Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowFan77

Senior List
Jun 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Obviously Dawson is a premium mid, and the powers that be at the Crows are vested in Crouch/Laird as #2 and #3 (I think they are both cooked, but that's another story), but what would happen if they were both out for an extended period?

Who would fill the void?

1) The forwards: Rachelle, Rankine?
2) The wannabes: Pedlar, Jones, Berry, Sholl?
3) The reserves: Dowling, Bond, Cook?
4) The list cloggers: Murphy, McHenry?

Keays and Soligo are the only possible options for me???

Note: I haven't forgotten about Rory, but he is 1) injured and 2) well past being a full time mid IMHO.

Thoughts?

Not drafting an elite mid since 2007 has got us here.

Now that we are here, we need to make do with what Hamish has provided.

Sog, Rachele, Pedlar, Edwards, Dowling need to be fast tracked into the midfield. These are our legit young mid candidates. And the core of our midfield from 2026 onwards.

Rankine should be more forward/mid.

When Curtain plays, stick him on the wing, not backline. With the view to him being a major part of the midfield CBA rotations from next year onwards.

Jones the other wing. He is the kind of player who lifts when those are playing well around him. He is a good wingman.

Only one of Crouch/Laird play midfield. Right now that is Crouch. Push Laird back to HB, Smith retire. Nankervis in for Milera.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In order of midfield priority:- Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Rechelle, Pedlar, Crouch, Laird.

Then adding Dowling, Nankervis and Curtin to the wing/HF/HB rotations.

I don’t mind Edwards having more time at SANFL level as long as he’s playing purely as a midfielder

In order of midfield priority:- Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Rechelle, Pedlar, Crouch, Laird.

Then adding Dowling, Nankervis and Curtin to the wing/HF/HB rotations.

I don’t mind Edwards having more time at SANFL level as long as he’s playing purely as a midfielder
I prefer Rankine forward over midfield.

He can do more damage up there.

Having said that, Eddie Betts has said the games he felt best were when he got involved up the ground. Provided him touch on the ball, plus more space to lose his opponent.

So yeah, midfield play up the ground should help Rankine's forward play.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without going through every team, it seems a lot of 2023 first rounders are playing.

I understand Curtin has had his injury issues, if he’s over that he must play. If he is and we are still not playing him, why not? Is he not up to his reputation or his Nicks ultra conservative?

Even Edwards, I don’t think he’d be embarrassed if he played. Saints who are contending are playing Darcy Wilson who was at the same range.

As for what a top 10 draftee can do, have a look at Windsor last night, he was crucial late in that win.

I prefer Rankine forward over midfield.

He can do more damage up there.

Having said that, Eddie Betts has said the games he felt best were when he got involved up the ground. Provided him touch on the ball, plus more space to lose his opponent.

So yeah, midfield play up the ground should help Rankine's forward play.

Agree. Rankine as the CENTRE of our forward line please. Make him the star.

Fog and Thilthorpe should be permanent forwards too ... with VERY different roles.

Put other players in the midfield that are capable and see what we have.

I hate that they don't get a chance to learn on the field.

I hate what we have done to Berry, Rachele, Pedlar, Nankervis, Cook, Shoenberg and Sholl.

Please do not repeat with Taylor, Edwards, Dowling, Ryan and Curtin.

I don't mind experimenting with max in the midfield. Give him a couple of boxes centre bounces and see how he goes.

I just love that he doesn't get beaten 1on 1.

We really miss this type of player especially in the midfield.

Rankine just needs to be played where he's needed most.

Sometimes it's midfield and others forward. The worst thing would be to have a rigid set up that required him to be at one part of the ground.

He's that good that we need to use him wisely.

Every touch is so smartly used and always to the advantage of his team mate.

If only there was a midfielder like Elijah Hollands available on the market who we could get rather cheaply
I know, imagine grabbing him for a 2nd rounder and still getting Curtin and Edwards in the draft and that is no crack at Oscar Ryan its just stating we end up with our first 2 choice picks and hollands as ready to go in the middle

I don't mind experimenting with max in the midfield. Give him a couple of boxes centre bounces and see how he goes.

I just love that he doesn't get beaten 1on 1.

We really miss this type of player especially in the midfield.
And he is generally a beautiful user of the footy..kicks to advantage and hits targets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all midfielders play the same role. Crouch is still the best at our club at his job, that being go get his hands on the ball and distribute. There are not much better in the league than him in that role.

Dawson is the free player you want to get the hands in. If every stoppage can result in Crouch getting the ball and dishing out to Dawson, then we’ll be fine. But it gets too predictable.

Laird is the weak link. He’s not as good an accumulator as Crouch and doesn’t have the skills of Dawson.

It’s not just a case of putting our next best midfielder in for Laird, but what sort of midfielder should it be, and who fits that mould?

Not all midfielders play the same role. Crouch is still the best at our club at his job, that being go get his hands on the ball and distribute. There are not much better in the league than him in that role.

Dawson is the free player you want to get the hands in. If every stoppage can result in Crouch getting the ball and dishing out to Dawson, then we’ll be fine. But it gets too predictable.

Laird is the weak link. He’s not as good an accumulator as Crouch and doesn’t have the skills of Dawson.

It’s not just a case of putting our next best midfielder in for Laird, but what sort of midfielder should it be, and who fits that mould?
I recognise crouch skills at winning the ball but I'll go further and say that we can't play Dawson and crouch together either.

The problem is crouch does nothing with the ball when he wins it and needs others to deliver the ball.

Crouch needs to be surrounded with elite speed and/power, not too dissimilar to Dawson, who is of a similar pace. Being at this pace means that the defence is right on your hammer every single possession. Having 2 people of this pace makes things difficult.

Laird out of there for sure but crouch should lead the midfield for the backup unit and not be played alongside Dawson.

Dawson, Pedler, Rankine

Crouch, Soligo, Rachele

Remove this Banner Ad

Back