Recommitted Miles Bergman [Re-Signed to 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Darts analogy a bit too sophisticated for you?

OK.

Player A takes 50 shots at goal and kicks 10 of them. That’s a 20% success rate.

Player B takes 10 shots at goal and kicks 8. That’s a 80% success rate.

In Port supporter world where percentage and ratios do not exist, player A is better at kicking goals because 10 is more than 8.

Speaking of butchering shots at goal, ‘Turnovers’ has had six shots at goal this year and kicked zero goals. That’s a 0% success rate for those playing along who struggle with percentages.
Keep screaming to the void matey, at this point I just admire your commitment

Why would you respond if it’s a “void”? Unless you are the void?

How do you think ‘Turnovers’ played on Friday?
Poorly, but lucky for Miles and Port judgements aren’t built on a single match

You don’t rate him, cool, you’ve made your point now can you please Jog on?

IMG_0693.gif

Problem is the club don't dictate were they want the player to go, the player does so there is no bidding war to allow the club to get the best compensation.
Didn’t mean a bidding war I was talking about the posters who say he’s only worth a 2nd.

Too many are trying to critique him to argue he’s isn’t worth much but if he has that many clubs interested he must have some value.

Didn’t mean a bidding war I was talking about the posters who say he’s only worth a 2nd.

Too many are trying to critique him to argue he’s isn’t worth much but if he has that many clubs interested he must have some value.
This is my point, by all indications there is a bidding war for Miles (😔) his market rate is simply what a club is willing to pay to get him

Discussion around disposal efficiency (while accurate or not ) are irrelevant if multiple Vic clubs are interested then it will more than likely be a first or equivalent simply because of the competition to get his signature

Only caveat is if he chooses to go to North where the PSD is a reasonable threat

Problem is the club don't dictate were they want the player to go, the player does so there is no bidding war to allow the club to get the best compensation.

This is where I (and many other fans) have an issue with the nominating a specific club if a player wants to go home to his own state.

The AFLPA will never allow it, but clubs would be much better off if players could only be allowed to nominate a state, not any specific club.

Although you do have some players like Steven May and Adam Cerra who were considerate enough to go to the club that would give their former club the best value in a deal (Freo picked Jye Amiss with the the pick they got from us and Cerra is going to win Carlton's B and F, classic win/win scenario)

This is my point, by all indications there is a bidding war for Miles (😔) his market rate is simply what a club is willing to pay to get him

Discussion around disposal efficiency (while accurate or not ) are irrelevant if multiple Vic clubs are interested then it will more than likely be a first or equivalent simply because of the competition to get his signature

Only caveat is if he chooses to go to North where the PSD is a reasonable threat
The bidding war is monetary, Port will only get whatever trade offer that club gives them for an uncontracted player.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bidding war is monetary, Port Power will only get whatever trade offer that club gives them for an uncontracted player.
As a Camry crows fan rocking a Pepe avatar it’s not surprising to anybody that the concept of a trade being more nuanced than he’s out of contract accept this completely unfair and ridiculous offer is lost on you

Why are you even here? he won’t go to the Camry crows and isn’t a Camry crows player you don’t see me stinking up the Doedee thread

As a Camry crows fan rocking a Pepe avatar it’s not surprising to anybody that the concept of a trade being more nuanced than he’s out of contract accept this completely unfair and ridiculous offer is lost on you

Why are you even here? he won’t go to the Camry crows and isn’t a Camry crows player you don’t see me stinking up the Doedee thread
Sorry, what?

It is not your place nor your role to tell anyone whether they can or cannot post here.

We welcome fans of every club onto this board and they're welcome to post in any thread they choose so long as they do so respectfully.

There is no issue with Adelaide fans posting in this thread just as you're entitled to post in the Doedee thread should you choose to do so.

Leave the trolling names to the Bay or the Port board where they belong too, thanks.

Miles is the second worst kick in the competition based on what he tries to do, and how successful he is against the AFL average. 13% less than expected vs. the average player.

This rating system takes into consideration position on the ground, amount of pressure, type of kick.

A mention that his intercept game is going well.

For those who understand analytics, it doesn’t mean he is a bad technical kick. It means his outcomes for what he attempts are poor. A more self aware player who is a poorer technical kick probably isn’t trying to make difficult kicks.

In short, it looks like Miles thinks he’s more capable than the data says he is.

Andrew Gaff is the worst, and Lachie Neale the third worst.

17:55 on this link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miles is the second worst kick in the competition based on what he tries to do, and how successful he is against the AFL average. 13% less than expected vs. the average player.

This rating system takes into consideration position on the ground, amount of pressure, type of kick.

A mention that his intercept game is going well.

For those who understand analytics, it doesn’t mean he is a bad technical kick. It means his outcomes for what he attempts are poor. A more self aware player who is a poorer technical kick probably isn’t trying to make difficult kicks.

In short, it looks like Miles thinks he’s more capable than the data says he is.

Andrew Gaff is the worst, and Lachie Neale the third worst.

17:55 on this link.

Was going to post something similar, but it wasn't based on this pod.

He has the second worst turnover rate of anyone in the league that gets it 15+ times.

He turns the ball over every 3.2 possessions.

The worst is Charlie Constable at a turnover every 3.0 possessions getting it 22 times a game.

Just behind him is Corey Wagner and Oscar Baker.

For someone who kicks it 72% of the time at an average of 23m per kick, he has a kicking efficiency of 63%, one of the worst in the league for the amount of disposals he gets and the role he plays.

He averages similar intercept marks to Jordan Ridley so, he's top 20-30 in the league from that perspective, his loss % and 1v1 rates are poor though for a medium defender.

Funnily enough, Dylan Williams is better across the board than Bergman, but still below average for medium defenders in most of the advanced data.

Last edited:
The stats that have come out in recent weeks back up what has been said on this thread by a few.

To me it’s not even a discussion any more, it’s clearly a weakness and if anyone can’t see it then I can only put it down to bias.

No doubt he’s also got some other very good strengths to his game though which is why clubs will continue to show interest in him. They just won’t be paying a massive price.

Cal Twomey was asked about Miles Bergman trade.
He mentioned that Saints are keen on getting him and so are Essendon. Mentions that Port will be well compensated in terms of draft pick if he decides to leave.
Estimates a top 10 draft pick coming ports way if a trade is done.
Would be hilarious if we got both Caldwell and Bergman given they were the players picked with the Shiel trade.

Cal Twomey was asked about Miles Bergman trade.
He mentioned that Saints are keen on getting him and so are Essendon. Mentions that Port will be well compensated in terms of draft pick if he decides to leave.
Estimates a top 10 draft pick coming ports way if a trade is done.

Callum is terrible at rating trades.

A top ten pick he says?

1686741786011.png

Hmm...

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah there’s good elements to his game but being 2nd on the ladder doesn’t mean all your players are perfect. The Port fans doing circles in here to ignore more advanced stats that back up the eye test (I.e. “kick rating”) are being ridiculous.

He’s an average kick at best.

He’s still a good young player.

He isn’t getting a top 10 pick without Port giving something else decent.
But sure he could be a mid teens pick with a later Port pick thrown in.

I’d think history suggests more than 1 pick gets involved as clubs tend to over complicate matters and get stuck on little things (Josh Dunkley trade anyone), and whichever club gets Bergman will want him cheap and Port will want a decent deal.

would expect something like
Saints pick 14, future 3rd
For
Bergman, 37

Which fits in at around a draft rating of 945 points or around pick 19 which I think as an individual pick for a decent but uncontracted player who also isn’t one of the big value positions (KF, midfielder) would be bang on

How far could Essendon reasonably slide at this point? Or to put it another way, what’s our pick range, best case and worst case scenario?
7th-11th, so between pick 8 and 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Miles Bergman [Re-Signed to 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back