Mills, Nevill, Baynes & Ingles NBA draft prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide

This thread is for people to post where they believe Australian born players will get drafted in the 2009/10 NBA draft.
At the moment Patrick Mills looks like he will be the only lock for a late first or very early second round pick but there are still a few weeks of camps to go for the other boys who are trialling to impress .

My selections on where they will go.

Patrick Mills – First round pick number 24 to the Portland Trailblazers then will get traded to GSW.
Luke Nevill – second round pick 28 to the Boston Celtics
Joe Ingles – undrafted and will end up playing in Europe.
Aaron Baynes – undrafted may end up in the NBA development league ALA Luke Schenscher but will never make the NBA.

We don't have pick 28.

Mills - First round, pick 26, Chicago Bulls.

The rest undrafted.

But you do in the second round. 30 first round picks + 28 second round picks = 58 and the Celtics have pick 58.

Joe Ingles is what 6’8 with a wing span of about 7’3 – in the US college system there would be about 50 odd kids with the same attributes so there is nothing about him that will standout compared with others wanting the same thing. In Australia we don’t see a 6 foot 8’ kid playing the guard spot that often and he looks good.

His defence sucks, let’s be honest in the NBL were we have one maybe two player capable of playing in the NBA (Ebi Ere) and he would only be a bench player at that and Ingles gets schooled by him. His defence isn’t good enough for the NBA.

IMO in the NBL its adequate and he can get away with being lazy as the NBL isn’t that high of a standard (in comparison to the NBA) but at the next level it's poor and as soon as they start scrimmaging in pre draft camps – this will get shown up and will go undrafted. Plus once he gets beaten on defence he starts to sulk and this then affects his offensive game.

Don’t see any NBA team wasting a second rounder on him.

Joe Ingles is what 6’8 with a wing span of about 7’3 – in the US college system there would be about 50 odd kids with the same attributes so there is nothing about him that will standout compared with others wanting the same thing. In Australia we don’t see a 6 foot 8’ kid playing the guard spot that often and he looks good.
Ingles is 6'8 barefoot, that's much taller than most guards in the draft and taller than or about the same as several lottery chance power forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the pre-draft measurements, Ingles was actually the fastest player over 6'7 in the agility test (and by a fair way), even beating Mills, but then had an average 3/4 court sprint time and a poor vertical leap (31 inches). His winspan is 6'10, so not terrible, but not great either.

Not really any point to that, just thought it was interesting.

I'll say Mills at 30, Ingles at 56. Nev and Baynes to go undrafted, although Neville could slip in there. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but Baynes seems to have signed a two year deal with Lieutuvos Rytas (Matt Nielsen's old club) in the Lithuanian league. So best of luck to him with that.

I don't think Ingles will get drafted, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does. He's biggest asset is his versatility, he can run an offense and play 1,2 and 3 if needed. Though I think scouts might just look past him, hopefully they dont though.

Mills to go early second round.

Mills #30.
Nevill 50+
Ingles probably not
Baynes definitely not.

Don't write off Luke Nevill, he's worked out twice with BJ Mullens and has absolutely schooled him both times, he's on GM's radar, and since this is a very short draft he's more than a sniff.

http://www.netsdaily.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1584

Jonathan Givony says in his podcast that an assistant GM saw BJ Mullens crying in the locker room at one of the mass workouts following a head-to-head matchup with Luke Nevill (a Kid Chocolate fave) of Utah.

Givony says that the workout hurts Mullens because Nevill is projected as "undrafted". Shouldn't the reverse be considered, Jonny? That Nevill is indeed a solid prospect who has been overlooked by the draftniks? (I think we put far too much emphasis on the mock drafts. Ryan Blake, NBA scouting director, says he doesnt pay any attention to them and CDR said last year that he never looked at them...relied on his agent and his coach.)

Back to Nevill. Someone will figure it out and take him. Chris Johnson of LSU, at 6'11" athlete, is getting more second round buzz then Nevill, but Nevill dominated him in a head to head and Utah beat LSU by 30. He's 7'2", 265, with a 7'6" wingspan, same as Thabeet, a "great personality" aka maturity according to reports. As I have noted, only 200 seven footers have EVER played in the NBA. You don't pass on them unless they are complete stiffs and a guy who averaged 17 and 9 and was player of the year in the Mountain West does not sound like a stiff. He's also Australian.

Can't find what Givony (draft express) said in print but have listened to the podcast. Although Nevill isn't in his mock.

Edit: I know this is just a forum like this one, but he definitely has his supporters.

The NBA draft preview is on the ESPN Thursday from 12:00 pm and the NBA draft is on Friday morning from live on ESPN starting 9:30 am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back