Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After careful analysis by Sean, he determined that Freo is…

374fb9f505c057b87f1434b25734b59b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's got a cool ring to it: purple bulldozers. I like it.

You beat me to it, the posting of the article. I know it feels 'nervy', but we're moving in the right direction - I'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is, I feel like no matter what, the team can't disappoint me this season, not anymore - obviously I was 'dejected' after the Saints game like everyone else, but only because of the "purple passion" we all have to see this club achieve success. Irrespective of what happens....the now and the future to come is what excites me....it's building

Melbourne were a "deadset" basket case, now they are the best in the League.
Anything can happen from here
Agree, but remember that the AFL have been spoon feeding the Demons for many many many years.
They were always the first to have their hands out for a bonus.
They were given CEO!! from appointed by the AFL.
They were provided with a a coach as a mentor, Paul Roos.
All free of charge.
If only Fremantle had been given the same bonuses.
Fremantle have never put their hand out for assistance since our inception. In fact I remember that the Greek and his little buddy coming over here and belting us with a baseball bat and threatening us with being removed from the AFL if we didn't get our sheeeit together.
We wont get the boost from the AFL that Melbourne got.

Agree, but remember that the AFL have been spoon feeding the Demons for many many many years.
They were always the first to have their hands out for a bonus.
They were given CEO!! from appointed by the AFL.
They were provided with a a coach as a mentor, Paul Roos.
All free of charge.
If only Fremantle had been given the same bonuses.
Fremantle have never put their hand out for assistance since our inception. In fact I remember that the Greek and his little buddy coming over here and belting us with a baseball bat and threatening us with being removed from the AFL if we didn't get our sheeeit together.
Which makes what we're doing all the more sweeter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact I remember that the Greek and his little buddy coming over here and belting us with a baseball bat and threatening us with being removed from the AFL if we didn't get our sheeeit together.
What exactly is this about? Haven’t heard this before. Unsurprising of course.

What exactly is this about? Haven’t heard this before. Unsurprising of course.
Someone might know the story better, but from memory it goes something like this.
2001 Freo couldn’t win a game to save themselves. Owen hung around till Rd 17, coach had been sacked, nothing was going right. The board was a bit of a mess, no one seemed to know their arseh*le from their elbow and the club was millions (around 6 I think) of dollars in debt.
Head honchos from AFL house came over, basically said ‘you can’t survive like this’, announced to the world that Freo were ‘a basket case’ and told the club to clean up its act, fix up the money mismanagement, get their shit together in a big way or potentially lose their license.
In desperation the Croad trade was made to try and bring back some fans by landing a big name player from the east, Chris ‘the showman’ Connolly was brought on board, and together with Cameron ‘shiny suit’ Schwab, the club was sold as starting a new golden era, supporters came back and new ones jumped on, things turned, and Freo continues.
So other than a ‘get your shit together or we’ll fold you’ the club received no assistance or leg up in the way that St Kilda, North Melbourne, Footscray and Melbourne were receiving and continued to receive. Basically a ‘grow up and stand on your own two feet’.
Meanwhile the above mentioned clubs were in debt up to their eyeballs and unable to survive without money being poured in from the AFL, then within a decade GCS and GWS were introduced with bezillions of AFL dollars pouring in, but Freo got nothing.
Pretty much sums up our entire existence, really. Sink or swim.

Someone might know the story better, but from memory it goes something like this.
2001 Freo couldn’t win a game to save themselves. Owen hung around till Rd 17, coach had been sacked, nothing was going right. The board was a bit of a mess, no one seemed to know their a-hole from their elbow and the club was millions (around 6 I think) of dollars in debt.
Head honchos from AFL house came over, basically said ‘you can’t survive like this’, announced to the world that Freo were ‘a basket case’ and told the club to clean up its act, fix up the money mismanagement, get their shit together in a big way or potentially lose their license.
In desperation the Croad trade was made to try and bring back some fans by landing a big name player from the east, Chris ‘the showman’ Connolly was brought on board, and together with Cameron ‘shiny suit’ Schwab, the club was sold as starting a new golden era, supporters came back and new ones jumped on, things turned, and Freo continues.
So other than a ‘get your shit together or we’ll fold you’ the club received no assistance or leg up in the way that St Kilda, North Melbourne, Footscray and Melbourne were receiving and continued to receive. Basically a ‘grow up and stand on your own two feet’.
Meanwhile the above mentioned clubs were in debt up to their eyeballs and unable to survive without money being poured in from the AFL, then within a decade GCS and GWS were introduced with bezillions of AFL dollars pouring in, but Freo got nothing.
Pretty much sums up our entire existence, really. Sink or swim.
Relevant, given our current ladder position vis-a-vis our finishing position over the last 6 years.

Rebuild revitaliser: Why AFL should bring in THIS priority pick rule

Relevant, given our current ladder position vis-a-vis our finishing position over the last 6 years.

Rebuild revitaliser: Why AFL should bring in THIS priority pick rule
I don’t like it. There are enough ways to get good and enough equalisation methods these days to reduce the influence of funding differences between teams. 1 pick at year 5 is probably at the end of your rebuild and only going to impact your tilt at the pointy end rather than making finals. Johnson was basically a live example of this idea, if we treat Brodie like the player he is and not a salary dump. When Johnson wins the norm smith after our 3rd straight flag, other teams would be losing their minds if he was a priority pick.

Last edited:
I don’t like it. There are enough ways to get good and enough equalisation methods these days to reduce the influence of funding differences between teams. 1 pick at year 5 is probably at the end of your rebuild and only going to impact your tilt at the pointy end rather than making finals. Johnson was basically a live example of this idea, if we treat Brodie like the player he is and not a salary dump. When Johnson wins the norm smith after our 3 straight flag, other teams would be losing their minds if he was a priority pick.
Riley Beveridge can kiss the fattest part of my ass!

The issue I have with that plan is the reason the previous priority pick system failed was that it was arbitrary and gameable, it treated all examples of meeting the thresholds as equal. You just won less than 4.5 games two years in a row and you got pick #1.

Now let's look at the four examples of clubs who qualify.
Fremantle: I'd argue that the reason we haven't played finals in almost 7 years is because our players got injured and other players left for big money deals elsewhere - but we have drafted well.
Carlton: They lost significantly more talent, trading them off for picks to swap for other players from mostly GWS. Their drafting has been rubbish and they are padding out their list now with trades and free agents to compensate.
North: If Carlton lost significant talent then North took it two steps more - dropping everyone who wasn't immediately best twenty two and cutting deep. Not offering a deal to their key forward (now a premiership player) because they were going heavy into the youth policy.
GC: They couldn't have had more access to talent but they don't value the talent or the picks. They traded a pick just outside the top ten for a pick just prior to #30 to pick a player they had just previously drafted with a top three pick for the similar role after they had secured a mature player for that role in the free agency period before the draft. This follows the same pattern as with Will Brodie, except Sharp has yet to be given away for free, give that time. They trade a pick in the 40s for Lyons and then give him away for nothing. They use a top ten pick on Ah Chee and swap him for a second rounder.

These four are not at all equal.

The issue I have with that plan is the reason the previous priority pick system failed was that it was arbitrary and gameable, it treated all examples of meeting the thresholds as equal. You just won less than 4.5 games two years in a row and you got pick #1.

Now let's look at the four examples of clubs who qualify.
Fremantle: I'd argue that the reason we haven't played finals in almost 7 years is because our players got injured and other players left for big money deals elsewhere - but we have drafted well.
Carlton: They lost significantly more talent, trading them off for picks to swap for other players from mostly GWS. Their drafting has been rubbish and they are padding out their list now with trades and free agents to compensate.
North: If Carlton lost significant talent then North took it two steps more - dropping everyone who wasn't immediately best twenty two and cutting deep. Not offering a deal to their key forward (now a premiership player) because they were going heavy into the youth policy.
GC: They couldn't have had more access to talent but they don't value the talent or the picks. They traded a pick just outside the top ten for a pick just prior to #30 to pick a player they had just previously drafted with a top three pick for the similar role after they had secured a mature player for that role in the free agency period before the draft. This follows the same pattern as with Will Brodie, except Sharp has yet to be given away for free, give that time. They trade a pick in the 40s for Lyons and then give him away for nothing. They use a top ten pick on Ah Chee and swap him for a second rounder.

These four are not at all equal.
This sentence got me like...

Confused Star Fox GIF by Sabato Visconti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back