Research Missing DOD or DOB for League players (AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

These are some headstone photos I have come across. I didn't feel it was worthwhile to start a new thread for a couple of photographs. This is Ted Whitten's headstone/plaque in Altona Cemetery.

Whitten.jpg

Something that's only very recently been uncovered is the fact that 1970s Collingwood player Michael Browne died back in 2009: Michael Browne
1706335226709.png
The AFL chaps have been made aware of this. Michael was the great-grandson of George Callesen, who played for the club in the 1890s (VFA & VFL days).

Edit: Many thanks to ThePope for updating this on Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Geoff Kerr is listed as passing in May in the Recent Deaths thread

I will adjust when I get home
In Gibbsy post in the Recent Deaths thread shows the latest Obits page from the official guide

It shows Geoff W Kerr passing December 2023 not May 2020

Can we get clarification

Geoff W v Geoff John

Must read better

Noticed that someone had updated wikipedia to show Bob Svonirich (SM) had passed away.
His son's Facebook page confirms this - Mauro Paul Robert (Bob) Svonirich died at Geelong on 27 May 2021.
That update also added that he was born in Trieste. He doesn't seem to appear on any of the "born overseas" lists.

Rodgers advised there's only 3 DOB still outstanding

1. "Dick" Richard James Casey
Born between 25/5/1881 and 8/7/1881. Died aged 16/4/1919. Age 37 (Flu)
Whilst Col has got born between 25-5-1881 and 8-7-1881, I've actually got in my remarks born between 17-4-1881 and 9-19-1881
I did a heap of research on him years ago, and don't know where those notes are now - but seem to recall an adopted name, that could have been part of the puzzle - it may be Carrick, but again, not sure.

"Bill" William Hennington
Born between 5/11/1891 and 29/4/1892. Died 11/7/1964
Such a distinctive name but it never seemed to show up

3 "Jim"
James Schellnack
Born between 25/5/1879 and 9/1/1880. Died 24/5/1968
I've often felt he was in the Records somewhere!, but with a very different spelling.

and the recently revealed Maurice Davidson (where we have his year but not date)

Date of Deaths are far to convaluted at the moment to list what is still missing etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice one, those three seem to have been the really tough cases for a while now.

WhiteHartLane23 I can see you are the principal updater of this Wiki page; how up-to-date is it currently? Just going through the list of missing DODs on my phone, it looks like there are at least a couple that can be removed from the table.

Is the wikidata cross-checking section something that still needs actioning too?

WhiteHartLane23 I can see you are the principal updater of this Wiki page; how up-to-date is it currently? Just going through the list of missing DODs on my phone, it looks like there are at least a couple that can be removed from the table.

Is the wikidata cross-checking section something that still needs actioning too?
I've not done a thorough review of the page for a couple of years - my edits have have been ad hoc. The page needs a thorough review but I'm currently working on a full data comparison across wikidata/af.com/AFL tables first... I'm about to send Oliver a large volume of updates for af.com so edits to wiki can be sourced appropriately

Nice one, those three seem to have been the really tough cases for a while now.

Forgot that page exists! All of the links to the sources should still work, so ignore the tables (or update them yourself if you know how) and just use those links.

Forgot that page exists! All of the links to the sources should still work, so ignore the tables (or update them yourself if you know how) and just use those links.

It seems a little cumbersome to update without the aid of the visual editor.

Is there any benefit in keeping the tables, do you reckon?

I've not done a thorough review of the page for a couple of years - my edits have have been ad hoc. The page needs a thorough review but I'm currently working on a full data comparison across wikidata/af.com/AFL tables first... I'm about to send Oliver a large volume of updates for af.com so edits to wiki can be sourced appropriately

Nice one. And so that will make the 'birthdate mixups' tables on that page essentially redundant?

It seems a little cumbersome to update without the aid of the visual editor.

Is there any benefit in keeping the tables, do you reckon?

Nice one. And so that will make the 'birthdate mixups' tables on that page essentially redundant?
The benefit of the tables is it's a bit more of a direct link to the articles. I updated most of them last night, didn't that that long.

The problem with the birthdate mixups is working out which version is actually correct. Could be any of the versions in any of the sources. Often they all are different.

With some recent players I've found differences between dates in AFL Records/club websites over the years. Or WAFL different to AFL. Or draft different to AFL. Trying to find a HBD message on Instagram or Facebook or Twitter from the club or friends/family/fans is often the most reliable!

Anyone got a subscription to Genealogy SA? Was sussing out some old 1910s footballer stubs on Wikipedia to see if I could add in any full names not currently online.

Came across Ray McArthur, a decorated West Adelaide player who won the 1939 Magarey Medal (after initially losing on countback, he was awarded it posthumously in 1998). His profile initially had "c. 1917" for his birth date with nothing else. Through Genealogy SA, I was able to confirm that birth year as 1917, but they want $110 a year to become a member to see the exact date. I have no ties to the state so it would be of very little use to me.

I appreciate this isn't a League player, but I don't think we have another thread for missing state league DOBs/DODs. Cheers.

Anyone got a subscription to Genealogy SA? Was sussing out some old 1910s footballer stubs on Wikipedia to see if I could add in any full names not currently online.

Came across Ray McArthur, a decorated West Adelaide player who won the 1939 Magarey Medal (after initially losing on countback, he was awarded it posthumously in 1998). His profile initially had "c. 1917" for his birth date with nothing else. Through Genealogy SA, I was able to confirm that birth year as 1917, but they want $110 a year to become a member to see the exact date. I have no ties to the state so it would be of very little use to me.

I appreciate this isn't a League player, but I don't think we have another thread for missing state league DOBs/DODs. Cheers.
I can look later

Surname:MCARTHUR
Given Names:Raymond John
Date of Birth: 25-Jun-1917
Father:Not Recorded
Mother:Flora Isabell MCARTHUR
Birth Residence:Rose Park
District:Norwood
Book/Page:1A/366
Notes:Not Recorded

Last edited:
Here's an odd one. Charlie Stewart was a former Preston captain and premiership coach, so quite the figure in the club's history. His Wikipedia page before tonight was absolutely barebones – no infobox, and a small amount of (albeit sourced) information on his career.

After an hour or so of googling, I was able to find that five of his 11 years at Preston were interrupted by war, and that his captaincy reign lasted only one season, not two. I also sourced a games and goals tally, and found some stuff about his time at Reservoir post-Preston, where he was president and became a life member.

The listed birth date of "c. 1910" which was quoted across the web was really throwing me off; it didn't seem right that someone of that era could debut for a VFA club at the approximate age of 31, let alone continue to play until 41! After searching Trove for "Charlie Stewart", I per chance stumbled upon a lead to his birth date – an article from 4 September 1950 that listed his age as 29. That puts his birth year as either 1919 or 1920. I was able to update the Wikipedia page to this point.

However, this is where I've run into a bit of a stumbling block. Assuming he was born in Victoria and that 'Charles' is one of his given names, Vic BDM turns up three births between 1919 and 1920:
  • Robert Charles Stewart (1919 in Mitiamo, son of Duncan Douglas)
  • William Charles Stewart (1920 in Ascot Vale, son of Liddell)
  • Maxwell Charles Stewart (1920 in Coburg, son of Charles William)
I would lean towards the latter given the location and the double-up of 'Charles', but I'm not sure if I'm sniffing in the wrong areas. Any ideas? And that's not even mentioning that we have no idea when his death date was, only that it was some time after 1980.

Here's an odd one. Charlie Stewart was a former Preston captain and premiership coach, so quite the figure in the club's history. His Wikipedia page before tonight was absolutely barebones – no infobox, and a small amount of (albeit sourced) information on his career.

After an hour or so of googling, I was able to find that five of his 11 years at Preston were interrupted by war, and that his captaincy reign lasted only one season, not two. I also sourced a games and goals tally, and found some stuff about his time at Reservoir post-Preston, where he was president and became a life member.

The listed birth date of "c. 1910" which was quoted across the web was really throwing me off; it didn't seem right that someone of that era could debut for a VFA club at the approximate age of 31, let alone continue to play until 41! After searching Trove for "Charlie Stewart", I per chance stumbled upon a lead to his birth date – an article from 4 September 1950 that listed his age as 29. That puts his birth year as either 1919 or 1920. I was able to update the Wikipedia page to this point.

However, this is where I've run into a bit of a stumbling block. Assuming he was born in Victoria and that 'Charles' is one of his given names, Vic BDM turns up three births between 1919 and 1920:
  • Robert Charles Stewart (1919 in Mitiamo, son of Duncan Douglas)
  • William Charles Stewart (1920 in Ascot Vale, son of Liddell)
  • Maxwell Charles Stewart (1920 in Coburg, son of Charles William)
I would lean towards the latter given the location and the double-up of 'Charles', but I'm not sure if I'm sniffing in the wrong areas. Any ideas? And that's not even mentioning that we have no idea when his death date was, only that it was some time after 1980.
1708092932909.png
This is meant to be Charlie, from a 1941 Preston team photo: Preston Football Club – 1941 Team Photo
1708089966756.png
Army records suggest this chap is a great chance:
1708092249394.png
1708092475730.png
From Ancestry:
1708092022250.png
The same person (also a Stewart) who 'posted' the above photo on Ancestry included this one:
1708093597815.png
1708092432000.png
That DOD does look to be correct: https://www.gmct.com.au/deceased
1708094599083.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Research Missing DOD or DOB for League players (AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back