Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 5? The guy wasn't even in the t50 players this season. He would barely scrape into the top 100 players in the comp, if at all. He played 19 games and didn't even finish in the t10 BnF players. He's not even in the t10 players in a side that finished bottom 4. He's not even his teams first choice ruckman, and you think he's a top 5 pick.........:thumbsu::rolleyes:

You're joking.

Finished top three in 2009 and was nearly AA ruck.

Without going into details for why he had a slow year, i'll give you food for thought: Given Hill's promising 2010 season, if he had a quiet year next year (for various meritorious reasons), would you be prepared to trade him for considerably less than he is worth?

Hill this year is worth a top 5 pick, and no matter what happens next year, will still be worth a top 5 pick in 2012. Clark is in the same category.

Pick 5? The guy wasn't even in the t50 players this season. He would barely scrape into the top 100 players in the comp. He played 19 games and didn't even finish in the t10 BnF players. He's not even in the t10 players in a side that finished bottom 4. He's not even his teams first choice ruckman, and you think he's a top 5 pick.........:thumbsu::rolleyes:

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/09/brisbane-best-and-fairest-2010-–-merrett-murray-medal/

You're joking.

He is a first rounder value for sure - nice age and good size.

For Freo it must also be very tempting to think of a Clark/Sandi/Zac - means we actually have depth in the ruck division and a nice spread of ages and development.

The match up problems that would be caused by 2 mobile rucks who also make massive targets up forward.

Sandi is a massive advantage and Clark would be the perfect foil.

Clark is in the same category.

I didn't see the nearly All Australian team for 2009 - any shocks?

Value wise Hill would be worth a few sheckles more and is already worth a top 5 pick and a really nice set of steak knives (I mean really nice ones with jarrah handles) .....Clark would be early first rounder.

Disagree with that.

Johnson is worth around the pick 20 mark, he's a pretty capable midfielder/KPP/Ruckmen. Would get a gig in most clubs and playing along side a more mature midfield would be quite damaging.

Club's don't trade picks in the top 20 for tall lads who don't really play key positions or the ruck all that well and have multiple drug convictions.

He is a first rounder value for sure - nice age and good size.

For Freo it must also be very tempting to think of a Clark/Sandi/Zac - means we actually have depth in the ruck division and a nice spread of ages and development.

The match up problems that would be caused by 2 mobile rucks who also make massive targets up forward.

Sandi is a massive advantage and Clark would be the perfect foil.

Agree. Don't forget the fact that he is also very capable in defence. In 2009, he was superb in plugging holes and taking crucial contested marks in the back half.

If you land Clark, it'll be exciting times for Freo indeed. Mate, even I'd be inclined to watch/support more freo games.

I didn't see the nearly All Australian team for 2009 - any shocks?

Value wise Hill would be worth a few sheckles more and is already worth a top 5 pick and a really nice set of steak knives (I mean really nice ones with jarrah handles) .....Clark would be early first rounder.

:D :thumbsu:

Agree. Don't forget the fact that he is also very capable in defence. In 2009, he was superb in plugging holes and taking crucial contested marks in the back half.

Filling the hole and dropping a kick behind play while in the ruck or playing as a genuine key defender?

I think that Clark is a realy good young player and would love to get him. But you Lions supporters have got to stop comparing his value to Hill's.

I think that Clark is a realy good young player and would love to get him. But you Lions supporters have got to stop comparing his value to Hill's.

I think it is lion ...he does not appear to have a pride

This. Clark is very much the future of our club. He is the heir apparent to Brown, and is as valuable to us as much as Franklin is to the Hawks.

Freo isn't prepared to offload one of the young guns, and just don't have the picks to get this done. Only a quality player will suffice (of the likes of Hill). If the roles were reversed, and Hill wanted to come to Brisbane, i would think that Freo would demand one of our key players (Clark, Rich etc), and we too would be unprepared to do that deal.

Yea probably, except that Hill doesn't want to go to Brisbane and Clark apparently wants to come to Freo, that makes all the difference - my point is that in the real world Bris are going to be stuck with an unhappy situation if they play hardball too much with Clark. On the face of it he's worth a top player no doubt, but the bargaining power tips towards us because of the fact that he doesn't want to stay there and 'top price' or 'true market value' so to speak isn't going to be what he's worth.

Back to your Hill v Clark and keeping the maths unfairly simple; A Hill that wants to stay is worth twice as much as a Hill that wants to go. Likewise,for Bris, a Clark that wants to stay is worth much more than a Clark that wants to go. Real world situation is Clark wants to go, that quite simply lessens his 'trade value' so to speak. Get used to it.

EDIT: Having said that, given how little we will be able to bring to the table, you're probably right in saying it will be stalemate, but suggesting he's worth a Hill as we currently stand isn't right either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing Vossy we'll probably be able to get him for Shammer, Murphy and Dodd, hell we'll even throw in Hinkley. Vossy will probably think he's won the lottery.

But seriously would love to have Clark at Freo, would be the best ruck combo in the league by a fair margin, would solve our 2nd tall forward deficiency and in the Post Sandi years the Clark, Clarke combo would continue to be a force. Be awesome if we could get him, probably need to give up pick 20 and if we could get another pick between the 20-30s for Tarrant that too could just be enough.

more from Greg Denham

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/swans-make-16m-move-on-sherman/story-e6frg7mf-1225932547797

Clark, who has one more year to run on a heavily back-ended deal, is believed to want to be traded to Fremantle.

The East Fremantle recruit is understood to have sought to be traded home to Western Australia, otherwise threatening to leave at the end of 2011 to join Greater Western Sydney without any negotiable compensation to the Lions, other than a nominated AFL draft pick.

Without shedding players and rearranging current contracts, the Lions could be as much as $1m over next year's cap and in even deeper trouble the year after.

Brisbane, which has already significantly reduced next year's total player payments with the loss of Michael Rischitelli to the Gold Coast and the imminent defections of Jared Brennan and Sherman, may have to cut more players or their salaries because of its need for more cap relief.

Clark's Perth-based management has been in talks with the Dockers. Clark, 22, played 19 games this year for a total of 65 in his injury-interrupted five seasons.

how heavy is he talking here? If Brisbane are well over the cap then maybe they will be more willing to release Clark

Finished top three in 2009 and was nearly AA ruck.

Without going into details for why he had a slow year, i'll give you food for thought: Given Hill's promising 2010 season, if he had a quiet year next year (for various meritorious reasons), would you be prepared to trade him for considerably less than he is worth?

Hill this year is worth a top 5 pick, and no matter what happens next year, will still be worth a top 5 pick in 2012. Clark is in the same category.

I really like Clark but seriously Hill >>>>>>>>> Clark. I have no idea how people can try and compare there value. As one poster said Clark wants to leave it does lessen his trade value. Brisbane need to lighten there salary cap so draft picks would be the way to go.

Just heard last night on tfs show that he defs. want to go to Freo, but apparently we don't have the right picks? Are we a good chance of getting him?

RUCKMAN Mitch Clark is the latest Brisbane Lions player to request a trade, according to separate reports in the Herald Sun and on Channel 9’s The Footy Show.

Clark, 22, is contracted to the Lions, but has requested a trade home to Western Australia, where he hopes to play with Fremantle.

The Lions, who have already lost best-and-fairest winner Michael Rischitelli to Gold Coast, are also reeling from utility Jared Brennan’s decision to leave the club and are unlikely to agree to a trade for Clark

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103529/default.aspxv

Maybe not ballanFYNE... :(

That's a shame:(. Would of really helped out at the club. All we can do is hope for the best:p

Brisbane have a lot to think about and Voss and Co. could do the complete opposite this year and horde draft picks (a very likely possibility).

With the exodus of their players AND potential trades, they could amass a lot of picks in the top 40 and rebuild their list whilst dumping salaries.

Every possibility that they will trade Clark for the right deal...

If they're $1 million in the hole on the cap and Mitch has a heavily back ended contract, we're in with a show.
They've got Fev on the books and even losing Sherman, Rischitelli and Brennan they've got to allow for guys like Rich to be getting pay increases.

Rich is more important to them than Clark with Black and Power aging.

They need to get this deal done. Couldnt find a more perfect fit for freo this off season.

Throw in palmer and a 2nd rounder and in the pick we get for Taz as well. Recruit a gun midfielder with our 1st rounder and things are looking pretty sweet.

Mitch is only 16 months older than palmer, plays 2 positions where quality talent is hard to find, where as rhys palmers are a dime a dozen.

How bad is Voss looking out of all this, played awful football all year, a massive slide down the ladder, Staker(!) was the best performing player he picked up in trade week last year & now half his team have left or want to.

Bring on Clark!

I have said for weeks that a deal for Clark would occur and it will probably help us now that he has said he wants out and has selected us as his preferred destination. He will be a great pickup and provide good versatility in the ruck and as a forward (mainly). Hopefully we dont lose too much in the deal but it would really shore up our big man stocks and lack of KPFs.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back