Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing end for Mitch. I had really high hopes for him after his debut season in 2013. His sub performance in that showdown was excellent.

We know you can be slow and still make it in the AFL. Was a great kick, nice sidestep.

I assume defensive pressure was his main downfall. After 2013 his numbers were significantly down at AFL compared to SANFL level too. Probably never adjusted to AFL speed either after 2013.

Really disappointed by this one. Absolutely elite by foot in a season when we've turned the ball over with woeful feet skills in more games than is excusable. When he played we looked like a better side. Not sure why we did this and kept someone like Shaw. I guess someone else had to go and he was next on the list.

Was absolutely superb today.

Thompson needs to be dropped now. Grigg needs to be fast tracked and Thompson is giving us nothing.

Gun. He and Crouch should never be left out again.

Great goal, some thread the needle kicks and a great impact. He has to start for Thompson from here on in. He might get 40 possessions next week at this rate :p

time for thompson to take the rest of the season off and play grigg in his place

He was just exquisite. Any more ammo needed on Sandos crap player management?

From August 2013

I'm pretty sure three years later we were still asking for Thommo to be rested and anyone (Grigg?) to be brought in

You try telling Thommo he's cut

All the best to Grigg, drafted in 2011 and has showed some good signs but never really cemented his opportunities

His opportunities have been limited but you got to make the best of them when they do arise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was I the only one who didn't see him as the Messiah???:huh:
Nobody did.

Just showed a bit when he was played, it would have been nice to have a larger sample size to see if he was any good.

The naysayers will say he simply wasn't good enough, but I think it's a classic case of not giving a young player a fair run.

He probably didn't do himself any favours with the off field injury though.

Nobody did.

Just showed a bit when he was played, it would have been nice to have a larger sample size to see if he was any good.

The naysayers will say he simply wasn't good enough, but I think it's a classic case of not giving a young player a fair run.

He probably didn't do himself any favours with the off field injury though.
I just couldn't see a position for him in the team. He was far too slow to play as an outside midfielder, and wasn't good enough to win a position as an inside mid. His characteristics just seem better suited to the slower pace of the SANFL.

I just couldn't see a position for him in the team. He was far too slow to play as an outside midfielder, and wasn't good enough to win a position as an inside mid. His characteristics just seem better suited to the slower pace of the SANFL.

In one of the reserves games the Crows were playing in this year, Soders and Chinever discussed him in some depth. Both felt he had terrific skills but was a tad too slow for the AFL but would be a great SANFL player. They saw him as a back flanker type.

Anyway all the best to Mitch.

I think many were initially blinded by Griggs debut. With the benefit of hindsight I wonder why we kept drafting slowish midfielders. Many of these players at their best fit into the best 15-25 players in an AFL club. I include in this group Wright, Kerridge, Lyons, CEY, van Berlo, Grigg.

Our list of slowish midfielders is down to Thommo in the Twos, Matty Crouch and CEY. I suspect that THE MAESTRO would only like to play one of these three players in any game, two at the very most. Last year we often three slowish midfielders (Thommo, Matty C and Lyons) in most games.

Sloane, Brad C, Knight, Seedsman, Cameron, Milera, Greenwood and BNM are quickish. Dougie is slowing down and The RAT and Wigg make up for a lack of acceleration by their agility and left foot. The hard one to classify is Gore. The testing says he isn't slow but he seems to look slow or is it just me that sees it this way?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

Back