Player Watch Mitch Hinge - Re-signed until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

His last 2 weeks have been back to normal

Started the season scratchily I thought

Pivotal turnovers I think we (BigFooty) are harsher on that most stat systems
He was good in the GC game as well in tricky conditions. While he's had a couple of notable turnovers by foot, they have come from largely trying to take the game on through the middle. When these kicks start coming off more frequently like the Carlton game, it really helps us to move the ball quickly and get those easier marks I50. Overall, a decent start to the season and very important to our ball movement.

Hoyne basically said Hinge is rated incredibly high because he’s winning his own ball (50% contested possession rate) and equal to Tom Stewart at ground level intercepts while his kicking is ranked 20th in the comp. Combination no other defender has apparently.

Hoyne basically said Hinge is rated incredibly high because he’s winning his own ball (50% contested possession rate) and equal to Tom Stewart at ground level intercepts while his kicking is ranked 20th in the comp. Combination no other defender has apparently.
Thought he was good only last week, but possibly he just looked bad cos everyone was awful. :)

This guy is pretty quickly turning into one of our most important players, particularly with Milera injured and Smith struggling.

He still is guilty of at least one Jasper Pittard kick into the crowd every game, but he is so important for us with his run and ability to play against big and small players.

This guy is pretty quickly turning into one of our most important players, particularly with Milera injured and Smith struggling.

He still is guilty of at least one Jasper Pittard kick into the crowd every game, but he is so important for us with his run and ability to play against big and small players.
A genuine 70-80 metre player (run 20-30 and kick 50) that is also good at getting out of tight situations with either strength or a clever sidestep. Racking up a heap of the ball this year too, can see that we generally try to get it into his hands when coming out of the defensive half. Never afraid to put himself into the hole when required too.

His last 2 weeks have been back to normal

Started the season scratchily I thought

Pivotal turnovers I think we (BigFooty) are harsher on that most stat systems

Maybe Murray being back in the side has helped him?

My post was from about Round 6!

He's gunned it for most of the season

Tom Hanks Dipshit GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he's a straight-line player and would get tackled endlessly in the middle. He's exactly where he should be.
Happy to say you're right. But not happy to pigeon hole a guy still blossoming before our eyes.

I think part of the big body is to break through. Dangerfield is not noted for his sidestep. Additional, I don't see Patrick Cripps in the "nimble"category of midfielders. Conversely, I see Mitch weaving through traffic more than those two.

Lastly, imagine being a coach who didn't explore every option, or didn't experiment enough to discover previous unknowns. Imagine a coach who just sees what is in front of HIS nose and is closed off to seeking ideas, opinions, knowledge and wisdom of others.

I like the idea of Mitch Hinge in the middle, as others do too. We have 8 games to explore these precise possibilities and until it has been tried and failed, I feel it's an experiment with very little downside and a potential significant upside. What's not to love about trying it? Afterall, he wouldn't be the first halfback flanker to make a success of the midfield transition. Across the league there might currently be 20. Even we have 2 in Laird and Dawson.

But despite all these words, you might be right. He might be too straight line. But how do you KNOW?

Happy to say you're right. But not happy to pigeon hole a guy still blossoming before our eyes.

I think part of the big body is to break through. Dangerfield is not noted for his sidestep. Additional, I don't see Patrick Cripps in the "nimble"category of midfielders. Conversely, I see Mitch weaving through traffic more than those two.

Lastly, imagine being a coach who didn't explore every option, or didn't experiment enough to discover previous unknowns. Imagine a coach who just sees what is in front of HIS nose and is closed off to seeking ideas, opinions, knowledge and wisdom of others.

I like the idea of Mitch Hinge in the middle, as others do too. We have 8 games to explore these precise possibilities and until it has been tried and failed, I feel it's an experiment with very little downside and a potential significant upside. What's not to love about trying it? Afterall, he wouldn't be the first halfback flanker to make a success of the midfield transition. Across the league there might currently be 20. Even we have 2 in Laird and Dawson.

But despite all these words, you might be right. He might be too straight line. But how do you KNOW?
It's my judgement, based on observations of his behaviour when in traffic at HB. I could certainly see him a wingman, but not inside mid, where he would no longer be doing 60m passes into the forward line. He's much more valuable where he is.
He's more the previous version of Dawson's role.

It's my judgement, based on observations of his behaviour when in traffic at HB. I could certainly see him a wingman, but not inside mid, where he would no longer be doing 60m passes into the forward line. He's much more valuable where he is.
He's more the previous version of Dawson's role.
Disagree with this - he's good in a straight line - just like Dawson is - but he can also move through traffic as well as anyone we have. It's that composure in tight situations that I think makes him a prime midfield candidate. Whereas Crouch and Laird look backwards under pressure - more or less just inferring that pressure to the next guy - Hinge doesn't panic and his instinct is forwards through the stoppage. It's that ability to not panic under pressure that has made Soligo such a success this year and has separated Nank from the crowd. The more involved we can get those type of players, the better for us going forward.

Loved his game. If he can only stop the 1 or 2 brain implosion, he will be brilliant!!

When you are generally getting 35 plus a game - 1/2 stuff ups is going to happen

Hinge doesn’t get the benefit of those cheap sideways/backwards kicks like a Butts

He is generally trying to create play and take risks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolute barometer of where the team is playing. When he's good, we're good, when he's off, we're hopeless
Keays is our barometer IMO. He was great on Saturday night but had been atrocious in the three games prior (along with nearly everyone else).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back