More clarity on GWS U17yr old trades - featuring the mini-draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He was talking about the Crouch deal I think.
----
But you're right, does favour GC a little. Pick #9 needs to become a late teens/early 20's pick IMO for a fair deal.

Pick 15 then, assuming you do the Morris trade with Richmond? Even that I think still favours GC somewhat though.

would the gary ablett compo pick be pick 11 in the 2012 draft?

Yes, subject to GC, Port and/or Brisbane getting a beginning of 1st round compo if they win less than 5 games, and subject to ther clubs with 1st round compo after their pick finishing outside the 8 and exercising it, e.g. MFC Scully pick.

Pick 15 then, assuming you do the Morris trade with Richmond? Even that I think still favours GC somewhat though.

15 is too high. And that will probaley be turned into Pick 14 via Richmond.

Ideally it should Pick #4 + Middle of First Round Compo for O'Meara + Pick 20ish. Anything pick in the 20's should be enough actually (Marty Clarke for Collingwood's first rounder and on trade that to Gold Coast???)

would the gary ablett compo pick be pick 11 in the 2012 draft?

It's a pick after our regular first round pick in whatever year we use it. As far as I know, even if we trade it in the mini draft, it stays tied to our position rather than GWS's first pick. So it depends where we finish in 2012. Also have to keep in mind that GWS would have another 3 years to use it so it's hard to guess the value because you'd think we'd finish lower in say 2014 than what we would next year.

It's a pick after our regular first round pick in whatever year we use it. As far as I know, even if we trade it in the mini draft, it stays tied to our position rather than GWS's first pick. So it depends where we finish in 2012. Also have to keep in mind that GWS would have another 3 years to use it so it's hard to guess the value because you'd think we'd finish lower in say 2014 than what we would next year.

All true, but I guessed the poster was asking about the other mid first rounder you traded to GC last year since that's in discussion in the U17 "O'Meara" deal.

15 is too high. And that will probaley be turned into Pick 14 via Richmond.

Ideally it should Pick #4 + Middle of First Round Compo for O'Meara + Pick 20ish. Anything pick in the 20's should be enough actually (Marty Clarke for Collingwood's first rounder and on trade that to Gold Coast???)

Yep. Pick 4 + middle of first round compo pick for Jaegar + 25. Even that I still think is a great deal for GC but it's fairer for you guys.

I'll be quite interested to see what the second mini draft pick goes for and how much of a gap there is between what you get for OMeara and what you get for that pick.

All true, but I guessed the poster was asking about the other mid first rounder you traded to GC last year since that's in discussion in the U17 "O'Meara" deal.

Sorry mate, I thought his question was in regards to a Geelong bid for the mini draft, which would refer to the compo pick that we still have. My mistake.

What will it take to get pick 4 from GC?

Beams & Toovey? Maybe a late pick too?

Then ontrading pick 4 and McCarthy to GWS for O'Meara.

Would ease cap strains at Pies, give the GC some class premiership players, and adds a sweetener (albeit a jellybean - but a red one) to GWS.

Gold Coast
Gains: Beams, Toovey, pick 67
Lose: pick 4

GWS
Gains: pick 4, McCarthy
Lose: O'Meara

Collingwood:
Gains: O'Meara
Lose: Beams, Toovey, McCarthy, pick 67

Thoughts?

Would ease cap strains at Pies, give the GC some class premiership players, and adds a sweetener (albeit a jellybean - but a red one) to GWS.

Gold Coast

GWS

Collingwood:

Thoughts?

a) Why would GC give up pick 4 for a couple of role players, the pick is worth mountains more than the sum of some teams offcuts.
b) if you're looking at bundling pick 4 with something to snag O'Meara it's gonna take more than 1 player who can't even crack a game, see everyone elses (including Freo's) ridiculous offers
c) if all it took was pick 4 and a list clogger then I hazard a guess that's precisely what GC would be doing rather than trading their prized pick 4 for a couple of magic beans..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast

GWS

Collingwood:

Thoughts?

Christmas is in December.:eek:

If you want O'Meara start with Reid, Sidebottom and your 1st pick and go from there.

Christmas is in December.:eek:

If you want O'Meara start with Reid, Sidebottom and your 1st pick and go from there.

yep, an all aus chb at 22 or so, plus a star youngster who almost won the NS medal at 19....then a first round pick as well.....FMD

i'd almost guarantee bugger all of you guys have seen omeara play.....from someone who has seen all his carnival games i'll agree he's a star youngster, but he's no different to other star youngsters past....he's no better than coniglo, no better than swallow was, cotchin was at the time, murphy was at the time etc.......

no way you swap the equivilent of 3 star young players for him

yep, an all aus chb at 22 or so, plus a star youngster who almost won the NS medal at 19....then a first round pick as well.....FMD

i'd almost guarantee bugger all of you guys have seen omeara play.....from someone who has seen all his carnival games i'll agree he's a star youngster, but he's no different to other star youngsters past....he's no better than coniglo, no better than swallow was, cotchin was at the time, murphy was at the time etc.......

no way you swap the equivilent of 3 star young players for him
Nor is there even a miniscule chance of Collingwood32's trade hypothetical eventuating.

GC just conceded today they may need to offer more than pick 4.

But Beams, Toovey, McCarthy and pick 67 will get it done?

Can someone tell me the top 5 talents eligible and a rough estimate on where they'd go if eligible in this years draft.

Also the same for next year (although no doubt it's highly speculative).

****ing ridiculous the afl is allowing these to go for draft picks. It was originally written that these were to be traded for established players.

Anyways the only reason gws is now wanting more than pick 4 is because melbourne have offered both their scully compo picks for pick 1 in the mini draft. (for those who want to go check i mentioned this would be done before you guys even had the picks) Personally think both bids are absolutely ridiculous. O'meara is great but i just dont see him as being head and shoulders above all of the other options available.

This really isnt a david swallow 12 months out kind of situation. TBH at this stage last year a 17yo stephen coniglio had just kicked 4 goals in a WAFL grand final as a midfielder/forward which is imo far above anything that o'meara has shown and now 12 months later he's likely to not even be the number 1 draft pick. At this stage last year i thought chris yarran (not the carlton one) was a superior option to o'meara and now 12 months on he's probably about 10th-15th in line to be picked up.

****ing ridiculous the afl is allowing these to go for draft picks. It was originally written that these were to be traded for established players.

You have to wonder what kind of team GWS are going to put out next year. GC did win three games last year but got smashed in most others, even when teams didn't play particularly well against them. And that was on the basis of having the best player in the competion, a reigning B&F hard-nosed midfielder, an AA quality key defender, and the enigmatic but undoubted talent of Brennan.

The "experienced" (if you can call them that) players that GWS have picked up may have comparable talent levels (Ablett aside), but are not capable of performing at anything like the level of their GC peers yet. Scully and Davis missed chunks of last season with injury and it make take them a year or two before their own bodies are up to the rigours of AFL footy, let alone provide protection to the kids.

The issue with these 17 year old picks is that they are too valuable / too indivisible.The AFL would have been better off giving them a handful of end of first round compensation picks that had to be traded but could be stored by the recipients for future years. I think there would be many clubs willing to trade a 24-25 year old quality player for this type of pick, especially where they had a surplus of a type of player. Or to encourage a slightly higher quality of player, mid-first round concession picks could have been offered up.

I hope for their sake - and so that GWS isn't a basket case for its first three seasons - GWS are confident of snaring a couple more top notch uncontracted players at the end of 2012.

Another mistake I think the AFL has made is not disallowing GWS and GC from priority picks for the first 4 or 5 years of their existence. It is a joke that these clubs are being encouraged to be crap for the first three years, with a dangling carrot of yet more top-of-draft draft picks while the bounty they've already been given are not yet mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

More clarity on GWS U17yr old trades - featuring the mini-draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back