More clarity on GWS U17yr old trades - featuring the mini-draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: More clarity on GWS U17yr old trades - no mini-draft

I think we can be pretty confident GWS have a few tricks up their sleeves to get some good talent for Rd 1 next year but at the same time extract enough 17/18 yo's to have them challenging in 5-6 years time.

No doubt Cameron, Hampton, Shiels, Treloar and to a lesser extent guys like Hombsch etc will play a lot of senior footy for them.

I think we can be pretty confident GWS have a few tricks up their sleeves to get some good talent for Rd 1 next year but at the same time extract enough 17/18 yo's to have them challenging in 5-6 years time.

No doubt Cameron, Hampton, Shiels, Treloar and to a lesser extent guys like Hombsch etc will play a lot of senior footy for them.

is that cameron from qld

Hombsch impressed during the Foxtel cup game against the Bullants, you could also throw Tom Bugg in not to mention Coniglio and Patton who they'll pick up in the draft.

Alot of people were raving about the Gold Coast draftees but I think the GWS talent is just as good.

Hombsch was very good I thought along with Tunbridge who I hadnt expected to go as well as he did.

yeah I am tending to agree re their list coming together.

Hampton and Shiels I think will be as good as Swallow and Cameron is a better KP type player than the Suns picked up in their first crop from memory (I think Dixon was their best). Put him in a spine with Bolger, Elton, patton etc and thats a pretty good KP / Ruck crew. Add Coniglio, Shiels, Hampton who are absolute A graders running around the middle then you start seeing what they could have as a core.

I wouldnt also mind betting the get some of their NSW scholar players who are struggling to get games at their AFL clubs back. I think of blokes like Riley (Crows) and Reed / Young (Collingwood).

I think they will also end up with some decent state league talent and assuming they dont trade them then guys like Saad, Stockdale, Potts, Thoolen, Shinner etc

Compliment all that with 5-7 decent AFL players along with the players they trade a couple of the 17yo's for then you have the making of a decent list in 2 years time.

Hombsch was very good I thought along with Tunbridge who I hadnt expected to go as well as he did.

yeah I am tending to agree re their list coming together.

Hampton and Shiels I think will be as good as Swallow and Cameron is a better KP type player than the Suns picked up in their first crop from memory (I think Dixon was their best). Put him in a spine with Bolger, Elton, patton etc and thats a pretty good KP / Ruck crew. Add Coniglio, Shiels, Hampton who are absolute A graders running around the middle then you start seeing what they could have as a core.

I wouldnt also mind betting the get some of their NSW scholar players who are struggling to get games at their AFL clubs back. I think of blokes like Riley (Crows) and Reed / Young (Collingwood).

I think they will also end up with some decent state league talent and assuming they dont trade them then guys like Saad, Stockdale, Potts, Thoolen, Shinner etc

Compliment all that with 5-7 decent AFL players along with the players they trade a couple of the 17yo's for then you have the making of a decent list in 2 years time.

Craig Moller will also be a great signing if he doesn't choose to go to Fremantle.

I actually don't think they'll draft Elton, they could've got him as a 17yr old but didn't (don't understand why).

Josh Bruce is a KP not to forget for GWS. I think he will be a goodie and I would have had him first round last year if I was picking for a team.

Phillips quite unsurprisingly has also been good for them in the ruck and forward. Can't understand how everyone passed on him.

Josh Bruce is a KP not to forget for GWS. I think he will be a goodie and I would have had him first round last year if I was picking for a team.

Phillips quite unsurprisingly has also been good for them in the ruck and forward. Can't understand how everyone passed on him.
Is Giles their #1 ruck? How is he going after everyone passed?

Quigs I am with you on Bruce but I think the jury is still out on him. He shows a lot but can be pretty erratic and the kicking is up and down. Have seen him a few times and sometimes I think you could be bloody anything and then other times i think to myself if you continue to butcher the footy the way you do then you wont make it at all.

I wonder sometimes if he just needs to slow it all down a fraction and not try to do to much....I get that sense when I watch him.

Re Giles - I think he has been ok as has Phillips but they aint anywhere near the quality the blokes up north have.

AGE article on the mini draft, Lists clubs that have shown the most interest and names being sought after.

OVER the past several weeks, Greater Western Sydney officials have held meetings with the established clubs in what could be described as the entree to trade talks.
The subject of the discussions - which have been informal - are prized 17-year-olds, such as West Australian youngster Jaegar O'Meara, whom several clubs, including Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, Gold Coast and the Perth teams, have expressed preliminary interest in acquiring.

Read more here
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tomorrows-stars-in-giants-sights-20110524-1f2ij.html#ixzz1NHcv0cIY

Hmm, so we're back to having a mini-draft. Thanks for the link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the current GWS 17/18 year old Academy players, anything there that could get through in 2011 or 2012?

So is the mini-draft guarenteed? It seems to be from this article
The Giants cannot hoard these youngsters, who must be born between January 1 and April 30 (in 1994 or 1995). They can only be traded. In practice, they will trade rival clubs a pick in a separate mini-draft, rather than a specific player. For example, they could give Essendon pick No. 1 in this mini-draft this year in return for say, Scott Gumbleton or Patrick Ryder, and it would pick whichever 17-year-old it liked.

But I'm a bit confused by all the posts saying things like "Bernie Vince for Ben Kennedy" and "O'Meara will only deal with WA clubs". If it's a mini-draft then it would seem like the 17 year olds don't have a choice just like every other draftee.

I've also heard that draft picks can't be used in the trade, is this right?

If it's a mini-draft and draft picks can't be traded, I would think that Freo have almost no chance of getting O'Meara.

So is the mini-draft guarenteed? It seems to be from this article
[/color]

But I'm a bit confused by all the posts saying things like "Bernie Vince for Ben Kennedy" and "O'Meara will only deal with WA clubs". If it's a mini-draft then it would seem like the 17 year olds don't have a choice just like every other draftee.

I've also heard that draft picks can't be used in the trade, is this right?

If it's a mini-draft and draft picks can't be traded, I would think that Freo have almost no chance of getting O'Meara.[/left]

The kids have to agree to be drafted early, they can just wait out to the next year otherwise.

The kids have to agree to be drafted early, they can just wait out to the next year otherwise.

RE

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the player/players have to be involved in the negotiations - That is they have to agree to be traded - And had a disagreement with one or two posters.

What you state sounds logical - Not that always applies to AFL rules.

Are you sure of this? It certainly was not the case for 17 year olds picked up by GWS and GC the last two years. If those kids decided not to accept the offer the clubs retained their rights which could then be traded. I from memory they could decide to sit out a couple of years and go back into the draft.

Are you sure of this? It certainly was not the case for 17 year olds picked up by GWS and GC the last two years. If those kids decided not to accept the offer the clubs retained their rights which could then be traded. I from memory they could decide to sit out a couple of years and go back into the draft.

Think that you and RE are essentially in agreement.

A 17 year old can accept the offer from GWS or wait a year - And be traded.

Certain that clubs would happy for this to happen.

Do remember that Dane Beams was offered a rookie contract by GC in 2008 - but declined and took his chance in the draft - A wise move.

I realise this is a different situation.

one would assume draft picks can't be traded to get these kids.

the whole point of this process was to get some senior guys into the GWS set up and gives club garuanteed access to some top line youngsters....

Think that you and RE are essentially in agreement.

A 17 year old can accept the offer from GWS or wait a year - And be traded.

Certain that clubs would happy for this to happen.

Do remember that Dane Beams was offered a rookie contract by GC in 2008 - but declined and took his chance in the draft - A wise move.

I realise this is a different situation.

I will declare my hand I know the O'Meara family, spoke to his old man three weeks ago.
He said that they are hoping one of the two wa clubs win a trade to gws.

So Jaeger can stay in WA, if they cant get a trade he will wait out for the draft next year.

Collingwood through Andrew Lockyer the former WA under 18 coach now collingwood's wa recruiting manager, has been into him a big way.

Jaeger hasn't been interested in going to Collingwood and told them so, but his old man is very impressed with Collingwood's professional approach.
Apart from WCE and Freo they have been the next club to keep in constant contact with them.
And yes he is very good in the Cotchin class as a junior.

So does O'Meara think Freo or WC will finish bottom 2 in 2012? He won't end up there otherwise. Doesn't make sense to me. He'd be better off getting into a system a year early, get advanced training and make a player of himself. That extra year could make a big difference in terms of salary down the track.

yeah, but also depends on his attitude to schooling. he may want to finish in WA (i'm assuming he is graduating in 2012)....

Remove this Banner Ad

More clarity on GWS U17yr old trades - featuring the mini-draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back