Most overated Player playing Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by SonOfScray

I personally don't consider him to be our best player anymore and have never thought of him as a great CHF, however he is a champion CHB and the fact he polled the most Brownlow votes in 97 and that he missed out by one vote in 96 is testament to that.

The fact that he got the most Brownlow votes in 1997 isn't a testament to how good a CHB Grant is. He played CHF in 1997 and CHB in 1996. I wonder how often "exceedingly average" footballers as The Phat Side so eloquently put it have come in the top 3 in the Brownlow Medal 2 years in a row in different positions. Chris Grants most damaging football was as a CHF from 1997-1999. But I agree that now he is ageing and has 270 games of wear and tear under him that he should be moved to CHB, a far easier position to play on the body then CHF

And The Phat Side you can't claim to have any knowledge of the game when you are comparing Chris Grant to Stephen Powell. I wonder if we would have traded Brett Montgomery and Chris Grant for Eagleton :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg
And while we're on Doug Hawkins, he said Grants the best player he's ever played with :)
Doug gives "The Rolls Royce" 3 votes every single game. Even when he isn't there. Doug was a very good player, a personality and a great clubman but nobody takes anything he says seriously.

I have seen Chris Grant tear apart the opposition on many occasions, but not for about 2 years now has he been a "superstar player". I think he is clearly past his prime and there are many players who can beat him when he is playing at either CHF or CHB. I respect Grant and put him in the elite of the comp. for what he has achieved as a player , but I tend to think that his career ended in 2001. This slide is inevitable with any player who is 30+ and plays a key position and in no way should detract from his career.

As for Doug Hawkins, he was a very good, reliable and important player, but his opinion means squat to anyone outside of Bulldogs fans as he is generally considered to be a joke.

Originally posted by The Phat Side
I said mentally soft, not physically. Although he is not intimidating physically which is one of his problems but that stems back to his mental softness.

Still, I would consider the fact that he got up to be a measure of mental toughness. There are plenty of physically 'tough' players out there who who can take a hit and not get on with it straight away.

I'll use an example and throw another name onto the list: Matthew 'The Velvet Sledgehammer" Lloyd. Very good player, can kick goals and all but geez surely this lad is over rated, 'The Velvet Sledghammer my arse - he got KOed by an Eagles player half his size, has a sook about his hand and constantly takes dives in search for a free kick.

Now I don't know if thats what a Velvet Sledgehammer is supposed to do or not - but they aren't very Sledgehammerrish qualitites to display on the footy ground.

Originally posted by afc9798
I think he is clearly past his prime and there are many players who can beat him when he is playing at either CHF or CHB. .
I agree he is past his prime but he is still the best centre half back in the league.Absolutely dominates the opposition basically every time he plays down back.Good thing Rohde is saying he will play there all year and it will extend his career for a couple of extra seasons.

The Chris Grant overrated thing is utter rubbish.

The poor bugger is simply unlucky he played in the same decade, and has been compared to Carey. He played a totally differen't CHF's game, involving more movement up the ground, and less reliance on pure strength and power. I still reckon he could play on the pill, and will play very well at CHB this year. He is also unlucky that Footscray have not had a forward good enough to release him further upfield.

Any North supporter that doesn't rate the bloke should be refused access to the footy, for he has dismantled us many times. Always playing on blokes that made out TOTC, Archer Martyn and Carey. Gun.

He is the best field kick over 6'3 in the game, and up there with the best I have seen. Probably past his very best, but if he has plays at 85% consistently, he will be AA CHB.

Carey is my pick for the most overrated player playing today(judging by the crows selectors)....he will be lucky to make 11 games in 2003...He won't be winning anyone any GF's or kicking bags of goals...hehehehe....and I fully expect him to go into forced retirement by end of season....at the end of it all the crows selectors will realise what a mistake they made....should have done alot better.

Tio-Ray-w****r

Just when I thought Collingwood supporters were not all as dumb as Rohan, along you come. This is the same player that Collingwood were chasing vigorously until it became apparent that Carey didn't want to go there. You really are a sad bunch of bad losers at the Pie factory. First you snipe about everything after Brisbane beat you-excuses. Then Nathan takes off his medal-poor loser. Now you say Carey is a hack and we never wanted him-sour grapes. I can't wait till he takes apart your brittle defences Pieboy. Watch this space-a Pie eating humble pie in the very near future!!

Originally posted by Macca19
1. Licuria did not have OVER 40 disposals. He had 40 disposals exactly. Here you go making up stats again. Are you gonna claim he kicked 3 goals from CHB as well?

2. Licurias opponent had the 2nd most disposals on the ground, and the most clearances on the ground, so unless you are claiming that Licuria too, was slack in his accountability, i fail to see what kind of point you are making...unless your point is that the two best players on each team played off each other all night long.

Well if you're satisfied with Francou's performance in that game, then so am I. :)

Re: Tio-Ray-w****r

This is the same player that Collingwood were chasing vigorously until it became apparent that Carey didn't want to go there.
Wrong on both counts.
First you snipe about everything after Brisbane beat you-excuses.
And again.
Then Nathan takes off his medal-poor loser.
Do you practice?
Now you say Carey is a hack and we never wanted him-sour grapes. I can't wait till he takes apart your brittle defences Pieboy. Watch this space-a Pie eating humble pie in the very near future!!
If Carey kills Collingwood in a GF I for one will bleed. Not because we didn't get him becasue I never wanted him under any circumstances let alone for the asking price. I will bleed because someone killed us in a GF. If he takes us apart in a H&A match then big deal. He will play against Collingwood two or three times at best. I am much more concerned about what McLeaod may do to Collingwood than a player formaly the best CHF in the comp.

As for our brittle defenses - well just another thing you got wrong.

If Carey does not win you a GF then you have made a very bad trade. If he does then you have made a good trade. That's it in a nutshell. No flag and you won't even have humble pie to eat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Lockyer24
afc9798, just another frustrated Crows fan seeing his team get pumped by us every time we play them

chin up mate
Helps when our best on ground gets clobbered & AFL programs our "home" games away to ensure we stay on the road, but that is another story. However, what is the point making the Grand Final if you can't win them. ;) :p

Re: Tio-Ray-w****r

Just when I thought Collingwood supporters were not all as dumb as Rohan, along you come. This is the same player that Collingwood were chasing vigorously until it became apparent that Carey didn't want to go there. You really are a sad bunch of bad losers at the Pie factory. First you snipe about everything after Brisbane beat you-excuses. Then Nathan takes off his medal-poor loser. Now you say Carey is a hack and we never wanted him-sour grapes. I can't wait till he takes apart your brittle defences Pieboy. Watch this space-a Pie eating humble pie in the very near future!!

Yeah brother....Collingwood was desperate to secure a player that has a small chance of playing 2 years, had his last good season in 99 and MIA last year :rolleyes: ....You and your club obviously RATE him as the man to deliver the holy grail to your club to sacrifice what you did....Good Luck....my money says you OVERRATED him...the near future certainly will show who is correct...can't say I'm worried.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Helps when our best on ground gets clobbered & AFL programs our "home" games away to ensure we stay on the road, but that is another story. However, what is the point making the Grand Final if you can't win them. ;) :p

Whattabout last year at Football Park :p

Whattabout 2001 at Football Park :p

Youre right though, no point making the Grannie unless youre gunna win em. But I did enjoy one extra week of seeing my team play.

There has only been one player in the last decade better than Chris Grant at what is known as the hardest position to play.

I fail to see how Grant can possibly be overrated, unless people are consistently saying he is better than Carey was.

There has only been one player in the last decade better than Chris Grant at what is known as the hardest position to play.

Hello? ever heard of Kernahan? Loewe and Merrett were better too. Grant was on a par with the likes of Richo, Nietz, Schwarz, and others. No better. Are any of these players champions that Chris Grant gets labelled as so often. Rolls Royce indeed. The mid to late 90s wasnt actually flush with gun CHFs as teams caught the midfield bug. Grant was in fact lucky to be playing in an era where high marking forwards wernt really the coaches favourite type of player and there were few of genuine quality around - made him look better than he was. In by gone eras Grant would have played where all players who arent good enough to play forward go - CHB. In fact he played there anyway. Grant was a fine athlete but mentally soft. Thats why he never made the big time

This thread just supports my view that he is over rated, He will not be remembered as time goes by.

Originally posted by The Phat Side
Hello? ever heard of Kernahan? Loewe and Merrett were better too. Grant was on a par with the likes of Richo, Nietz, Schwarz, and others. No better. Are any of these players champions that Chris Grant gets labelled as so often. Rolls Royce indeed. The mid to late 90s wasnt actually flush with gun CHFs as teams caught the midfield bug. Grant was in fact lucky to be playing in an era where high marking forwards wernt really the coaches favourite type of player and there were few of genuine quality around - made him look better than he was. In by gone eras Grant would have played where all players who arent good enough to play forward go - CHB. In fact he played there anyway. Grant was a fine athlete but mentally soft. Thats why he never made the big time

This thread just supports my view that he is over rated, He will not be remembered as time goes by.

A few points:
1. The mid to late nineties did not lack quality marking forwards
You may have heard of one or two of these marking forwards that played in this time: Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Carey, Loewe, Holland, Whitnall, Modra, Neitz, Tredrea, Kernahan, Rocca, Lloyd, Schwarz, Richardson, should I go on. Theres 3 1000 goal kickers, the best CHF of all time and about 7 of them made their clubs teams of the centuries

The quality of key forwards in the mid to late nineties is far superior to now

2) If Grant isn't good enough to play as a forward how did he get the most brownlow votes from CHF in 1997. How has he kicked 470 goals?

The only reason Grant ever played CHB is because he is an awesome CHB as well as CHF. Personally I find the fact that he came third in the brownlow in 1996 as a backmen, then got the most votes a year later as a forward remarkable. But obviously you don't appreciate versatility in a player

Why don't you go back under your rock. To suggest the mid to late nineties lacked quality forwards shows you are plain stupid. There were 3, 100 goal kickers and arguably the best player of all time running around FFS. To suggest Chris Grant has achieved a similar amount to Stephen Powell is perhaps the funniest thing I have ever heard and to suggest Grant isn't good enough to play CHF is outrageous.

And please tell me, do you regard seasons where a guy gets 400 touches, 180 marks and 40 goals from CHF "exceedibly average". Is taking the most marks over the last decade exceedingly average".

Use some facts, not made up bull**** to back up your argument you fool

by bulldog954

A few points:

1. The mid to late nineties did not lack quality marking forwards
You may have heard of one or two of these marking forwards that played in this time: Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Carey, Loewe, Holland, Whitnall, Modra, Neitz, Tredrea, Kernahan, Rocca, Lloyd, Schwarz, Richardson, should I go on

I said gun CHF's not key marking forwards. If we're going to put Grant in the company of some of the full forwards you mentioned like Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall and Lloyd then he drops even further down the pecking order.

As I have said, a good player but well over rated. Including by you.

You said there were few marking forwards of genuine quality, read what you wrote.

And you also didn't say Grant was good, I believe the words "exceedingly average" were used. You also still haven't answered as to whether you think 400 disposals, 180 marks and 40 goals is the sort of things an average player does

by bulldogs1954

You said there were few marking forwards of genuine quality, read what you wrote.

I think you better read what I wrote. I said the mid to late 90s wasnt actually flush with gun CHFs. Thats pretty much verbatim what I wrote. My latter comment about high marking forwards was in the context of this comment earlier in the same post. Twist my words if you like.

And you also didn't say Grant was good, I believe the words "exceedingly average" were used. You also still haven't answered as to whether you think 400 disposals, 180 marks and 40 goals is the sort of things an average player does.

Mate even Larry Donohue kicked a 100 goals in a season once upon a time. Whats he a champion just like Chris Grant. Over the course of his career Grant has not sustained a level of performance and most importantly mental toughness to be labelled anything more than a handy to good player. I have already explained what I meant by "average". Re read it if you missed as it seems to bother you so much.

Originally posted by Lockyer24
All Australians aren't exempt from being overrated. And a few of you are once again getting overrated mixed up with whether I rate them or not. Sure most of the players on the list are good footballers, but their perceived worth within the football public does not match up to where I rate them. So stop having a sook if I pick on one of your clubs players.

Pavlichs AA selection was a shocker, Mark Ricciutos selection was almost as ridiculous and don't get me started on Primus. Not even in the top 2 ruckman in the league.

I dunno where you are all pulling Leon Davis from, he's been a victim for negative remarks from oppositon supporters ever since he started. I'd really like to know which neutral supporters have ever claimed he was a great player. He's unrated, not overrated.

Personally you know your club is in a good position when all the players getting picked on at your club are barely 21.

The Collingwood supporter with an IQ of 65 has spoken:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overated Player playing Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back