Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quaynor?

He’s good, set and forget BP but I really don’t see anything exceptional

That’s probably a little rough, just don’t think he’s as good as those in the media make out

A more obvious candidate is Sam Draper, obviously very exciting but of the athletic ruck types he’s behind TDK and Jackson easily

Quaynor?

That’s probably a little rough, just don’t think he’s as good as those in the media make out

A more obvious candidate is Sam Draper, obviously very exciting but of the athletic ruck types he’s behind TDK and Jackson easily
Quaynor had a great season last year but has been well down this year so it’s probably not an unfair call.

Adelaide Advertiser, yesterday: Ben Keays ... is one of the AFL’s best modern career revivals ... promoted to the leadership group and, as of this week, earnt a contract extension until 2027.

I dispute that he has a 100% go. He picks and chooses when to go, averages a clanger every fifth possession with the Crows, is woefully inaccurate in front of goal, gives away crucial free kicks and - as of last year - isn't even tackling anymore.

I call BS on "best modern career revival", his "contract extension until 2027" (what were they thinking?) and if that's the Crows' "leadership", they're in trouble.
Epic choke from him last year as well when he hit the post at the moment the Crows needed him most and cost them a finals spot.

Quaynor?

These are my two as well.

Two of the most physically striking and identifiable players in the competition but also two of the most anonymous on the field.

Quaynor has speed, strength and skill but he doesn't utilise two of those weapons on a consistent basis.

Draper, as you mentioned, is comparable to the modern, athletic rucks, but lacks the basic fundamental footy skills and IQ.
This might sound harsh to some, but I genuinely believe if Max Lynch hadn't been forced into an early retirement that he and Draper would have been a better comparison to one another.
Former soccer players turned AFL footballers who have athleticism but a real ceiling preventing them from becoming the number 1 guy in a successful side.

May also be an unpopular opinion, but Essendon should consider trading Draper. They'd get a decent return from a side who needs a more mobile ruckman or solid backup option.
Goldstein becoming the number 1 guy immediately upon his arrival stamps Draper's papers as what his worth is to the Bombers moving forward IMO.

Harley Reid.

Plenty of players running around getting 20 touches once a fortnight. Nice highlights package but he’s statistically below average.

Gives me Daniel Rich vibes. Physically ready from day 1. Never improves from there.

Harley Reid.

Plenty of players running around getting 20 touches once a fortnight. Nice highlights package but he’s statistically below average.

Gives me Daniel Rich vibes. Physically ready from day 1. Never improves from there.
His tank will improve. He will add a bit of muscle to get stronger ( but he might not need to bulk up too much, he might be like Sydney's Josh Kennedy who did almost no weights as he just bulked up too much).
I thought Brett Deledio didn't improve for about 5 years after his debut season, but then did improve.
I agree Harley Reid probably wont improve as much as others, but did anybody think he is already at a level you would be happy with if he was in his second year as pick 1.
People also forget just how good scully was in year 1. Melbourne improved a fair bit in 2010 in terms of wins. But I don't think scully improved massively after year 1 as he didn't get bigger really and running was already elite.

His tank will improve. He will add a bit of muscle to get stronger ( but he might not need to bulk up too much, he might be like Sydney's Josh Kennedy who did almost no weights as he just bulked up too much).
I thought Brett Deledio didn't improve for about 5 years after his debut season, but then did improve.
I agree Harley Reid probably wont improve as much as others, but did anybody think he is already at a level you would be happy with if he was in his second year as pick 1.
People also forget just how good scully was on year 1. Melbourne improved a fair bit in 2010 in terms of wins.

Tom Scully another good example of a player who never really improved.

Exactly what I expect Harley Reid’s career to look like.

For his sake I hope he signs a massive contract before he gets worked out.

Seems like a flog too.

Seems like a flog too.
I think he is a bit overhyped. But seems a good bloke, is living with a non afl player.
He isn't a " I am special" vic metro type like Marc Murphy.
I think he won't stay his whole career. He seems pretty good as a forward, so barring injury I think probably a player who gets say 5 or more All Australian teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a flog too.
You’re doubling down on your “VFL is Harley’s level” post!? Really?

Bold strategy, but sure will bring many more laughs.

Darcy parish is one I’ve never understood why his rated so highly. his stats look impressive on paper but I just don’t think he hurts the opposition to much very similar to Tom Mitchell in that regard

Its no coincidence that Essendons stoppage stats have suffered since Darcy has been out. I've never been a huge fan but have to admit that he is invaluable to this current teams cohesion.

These are my two as well.

Two of the most physically striking and identifiable players in the competition but also two of the most anonymous on the field.

Quaynor has speed, strength and skill but he doesn't utilise two of those weapons on a consistent basis.

Draper, as you mentioned, is comparable to the modern, athletic rucks, but lacks the basic fundamental footy skills and IQ.
This might sound harsh to some, but I genuinely believe if Max Lynch hadn't been forced into an early retirement that he and Draper would have been a better comparison to one another.
Former soccer players turned AFL footballers who have athleticism but a real ceiling preventing them from becoming the number 1 guy in a successful side.

May also be an unpopular opinion, but Essendon should consider trading Draper. They'd get a decent return from a side who needs a more mobile ruckman or solid backup option.
Goldstein becoming the number 1 guy immediately upon his arrival stamps Draper's papers as what his worth is to the Bombers moving forward IMO.
Quaynor could peel off and provide more run but the same critics will point out the goals he would leak as a result. He's a splendid shutdown defender.

Harry Sheezel.

Racks up a bunch of meaningless footy (plenty of kick ins), chips it sideways and backwards, loves a 1-2 that takes the team nowhere.

Stats will tell you he’s an elite half back flanker but he is doing 0 to move North towards a win. Clarko will tell you it’s all apart of his development but he is doing very little actual defensive work.

Time to move him forward and make the most of his X factor and talent. The best players change games and fortunes and he can be that level of player.

Good Lord, what a doozy lol

Without hesitation, I can confidently say that Jake Stringer is ridiculously overrated, especially by Essendon supporters and Brian Taylor.

He plays maybe one decent game a year where kicks multiple goals.

Granted, kicking a bag is no mean feat, but it doesn't happen enough to be put upon the pedestal he currently sits.

I'm going to have to raise Bobby Hill in this discussion.

Less than 10 touches a game and only 1 goal just isn't very good. Low Tackle count, and insignificant Goal Assist numbers too.

Obviously was brilliant in the GF - but I feel that that performance created a bit of a false economy of who he is as a footballer.

The way the commentators react and behave whenever he is near a contest just doesn't align with his output.
I sort of agree, he has been a bit down compared to his late season form from last year. The one question mark would be his goal assists. He has set up a few this year. So how many goal assists is he on?

I sort of agree, he has been a bit down compared to his late season form from last year. The one question mark would be his goal assists. He has set up a few this year. So how many goal assists is he on?
I overrated him at the start of the year and I reckon Pies fans did too - but the general consensus is he’s a good player without shooting the lights out

Probably meetings expectations Bobby Dazzler, with the norm win throwing a few of us for a spin

I overrated him at the start of the year and I reckon Pies fans did too - but the general consensus is he’s a good player without shooting the lights out

Probably meetings expectations Bobby Dazzler, with the norm win throwing a few of us for a spin
Agree he is and has generally been a good average footballer. However I like him in terms of potential. He certainly can hit that form again and he is still fairly young and coming off a cancer scare about 2 years ago. He just hasn't been at that level this year.

He averages 1.0 Goal Assists.

Only averages 2.0 Tackles too.

That's on top of 1 Goal and 10.5 Disposals.

They're horribly low numbers. Even for a bad player they're low - but for someone with obvious ability they're terrible. Concerning at best.

You'd have to argue that Collingwood's injuries are the only reason he's kept his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back