Motlop: G.O.N.E

Remove this Banner Ad

Thewlis Dish said:
You're spot on - they are always closer with family than most. That's not racist, that's just how it is.

We'll only get Watts if he refuses to re-sign, and a lot of clubs will want him if that happens.

whats the go with this Fergus Watts...has he ever played?
nobody could possibly be serious about trading Motlop for a player whose sat in the SANFL for two years...there would need to be more in than that besides one thing we dont need is forwards...

Time to accept he wants to be elsewhere. Not sure how good Watts is but you can never have too many good big men. Not sold on Salopek, but I reckon a good midfielder should be the priority if there is something worthwhile.

bogan4life said:
A trade to port looks on the cards so a salopek could be done, i hope you dont get watts ;)

There would have to be plenty of room in the cap now for grant.

I'm not completely convinced it will be an Adelaide based trade...Brisbane is reasonably close to Darwin and I would'nt mind trading with them...PA have a lot of players tied up already and the ones that are'nt I would have doubts on and unless you could land a McGregor or Rutten,which obviously won't happen Adelaide's list is a bit samey...I know he's had injury concerns Motlop but there's just far too much talent and explosive ability there to trade for anything less than the same and if that does'nt happen North can re-unite him with Denis as far as I'm concerned...

windsock said:
Time to accept he wants to be elsewhere. Not sure how good Watts is but you can never have too many good big men. Not sold on Salopek, but I reckon a good midfielder should be the priority if there is something worthwhile.

No I have to agree...I'm not sold on him either...he seems to be turning out to be another Michael Stevens and one of those is bad enough...

Can someone please explain how the trade system works. Can Daniel go where he likes as he is out of contract or do we hold the cards here?

I might add that as sad as I am to see Junior leave i'm not surprised & wish him all the best if he finds another club. It is always a shame to see a player,with the obvious skills & abilities as Daniel, not develop to the full potential & if being closer to his family works then thats got to be a good thing.

btw is there that much difference in flight times between Melbourne to Darwin or Brisbane/Adelaide to Darwin?

From other reports in the Hun today.

Pickett threatening to walk from Port Adelaide. His new offer is for $200K ($150 base + match payments). Wants a new contract to match his current payments $300K). His manager hinted that WA or playing under Pagan again are real options.

Watts has refused to commit to Adelaide. Has a year to run on his contract - quite likely a trade candidate from the Crows.

Make of it what you will conspiracy & trade theorists.

FWIW - screw Motlop. The club owes him absolutely no favours. Get the absolute best deal we can, even if it means he ends up in Sydney or Geelong.

Didn't our coach say there's no romance in football? ;)

How long have we all followed this exciting player only to see him walk when its time to deliver the goods? Very disappointed :(

Rest assured, Port will do everything they can to work Pickett into any deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody dissapointed and angry. He can go now. If I was Laidley right now I wouldn't even attempt to talk him out of it. What he did two years ago wasn't great but we were all just happy it got worked out. But this time he can go back to his family.

Three quick questions I'd like answered:

How long is the flight from Melbourne to Darwin?
How long is the flight from Adelaide to Darwin?
How long is the flight from Brisbane to Darwin?

We should go after Watts big time.

I had a tear two years ago when this happened the first time, now I'm just disappointed and annoyed. Since we gave him the new contract we've still seen just more exciting potential - he's played some outstanding games but not strung them together - and this year it sounds like the club's gone out of its way to help him emotionally through the injuries.

I can't forget Boomer saying he was the most talented player our group had ever seen, bar none. Big call. And classy talent is something we are short on.

Basically I'm not sorry to see someone go if they want to walk out every time the door is ajar - it's done, my only interest now is a fair trade. Someone who wants to live and make it in Melbourne would be a great start.

Look to the positive people.

Its gives us a real great starting point in the trade talks, as stated worst case he goes into the draft and ends up still in Melbourne.

Top 10 pick, proven player, X Factor..............

Shhhhhhhh Bad hammy, weak shoulders shhhhhh.

I'm sorry, but stuff him. We have done everything in our power to make him comfortable in Melbourne, allowing him to return home regularly, and play the All-Star games. I would have expected a bit more in return, but I don't think the club can afford to do him any favours when it comes to doing a trade. I personally don't care if his preference is a South Australian club, if we can get what we need elsewhere, bye bye Junior.

I personally hope we have been on the phone to Brisbane gauging their interest.

scottywiper said:
So much for him and Wells being inseparable.

Has anyone got facts about his "twin Wells", I was under the impression that Wells best friend at the club is Perry.

jonty12 said:
I hope I don't come across as some racist but you have to wonder about drafting young Aboriginal kids from outside Victoria - it just never seems to work. They're big on family and that's cool, don't get me wrong but Junior was a top 10 pick and that sucks that he will be leaving.

I'm not saying this doesn't happy to Anglo players as well, hey I miss my family too (I'm in London at the mo') but it just seems to be more prevalent with Aboriginal players.

I hope we can get Fergie in the trade but I'm not hopeful.

Mate, I think your comments are ill founded. There are heaps of players heading home because of the same reason. Ie. Daniel Chick went home to WA, Luke Power is wanting to go home to Victoria, Josh Carr left the premiers to go home and the list goes on. Its not a race thing, it a human trait to be where family and surroundings that you grew up in. Please think before we make such comments.

I too am a Roos supporter and would love Motty to stay, however he needs to assess whats best for him and his young family.

Not really surprising, was at a Roos function about 2 years ago and was sitting next to Daniel. Asked him if the chance to go home to Darwin or to a team closer ever came up, would he go. Answered yes in 2 seconds flat. Could tell immediately he was serious. Asked a few more questions and he was clearly not happy in Melbourne and missing his family badly.

Did think though that since then that he may have settled. Obviously not.

Take the positive. Great opportunity to get a quality player in return. Personally I would go for a tall defender...

Adelaide from memory is the closest city to Darwin.

This is great news! (kinda)

We need a quality tall defender (not a Rawlings or Hay) and they don't just fall into your lap. We had to trade for it but that requires making a hard call on a quality player on our list. The good news is that that call has been made for us! The guy's walked out twice in two years...bugger him off and use him to get the player we want/need. The club has to peddle Motlop around to whoever might want him (probably have to be Crows or Power) in order to secure the right man. Picketts and other small forward/midfield types need not apply. We want a quality tall defender and now we have the chips on the table to get one.

No you don't. A middle-aged, inconsistent, injury-prone half-forward won't get you a quality tall defender. Not even in the darkest days of Freo trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop: G.O.N.E

Remove this Banner Ad

Back