Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh please, what a load of utter high horse dribble.

Virtually all of the biggest comedians of our time have made jokes about things like rapists, child abuse, racism, the holocaust ect ect. A HUGE part of comedy is making light about dark topics, how do you not understand this???
Just listen to Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle …. Not just the biggest comedians

There’s a difference between a 13 year old getting punched in the face for mouthing off and an organisation like the AFL imposing financial and work-ban-like penalties on people.

I think the AFL need to be very careful on this one.

Regards

S. Pete
The players are at a club function. Anyone that has worked an office job knows damn well you can't kick off at the Christmas party just because you aren't in your cubicle, a work function is work.

So you think we should ban people making jokes about offensive topics?

People have the right to be offensive and make dark humored jokes.
I don’t think it takes a genius to draw the line at skits or comments about women and/or children being sexually assaulted mate, maybe that’s just me.

1000's died mate.

I'm not going to run you through the history of dark comedy, but September 11 doesn't have some special comedy free status that other tragedies don't have.

You have such a silly and basic opinion on this matter.

Companies sanctioning their employees for comments they make in their private life is a terrible thing, I don't know why you're arguing that. Imagine if u made a dumb joke with ur friends at home, would u want ur employer to get involved?

I already explained what the consequences should be in my previous post dumpty, if they broke the law then they should face the legal consequences, if they didn't and only broke the venues policies then they venue should have removed them. That's it, full stop.

People absolutely should have a green light to have free speech and say whatever they want at private events, providing they don't broke the law, get it yet?

Firstly, I'm not saying that the AFL should sanction anyone. I don't even know what they apparently did or didn't do.

To be honest, I don't really care. This sort of thing isn't of particular interest to me.

Secondly, why do people keep saying this is 'private' event, as if that matters one bit?

It was clearly a football club event. The AFL owns that football club. And the event was held at a commercial venue with people working there.
It was planned during the season, by club employees, was attended by club employees, and was clearly supported by the club.

Because they hired a 'private' room, does not make it a private event.

Saying it was a 'private' is misleading at best.

A 'private' event in the context of this discussion, would be something with no links whatsoever to the football club, held at private premises with no one else present.

That's not what this event was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who are they being fined for offending if not us fans?
Two things...

I haven't read anywhere that they're being fined for offending anyone. I don't know what they did.

Do you not think that just because you aren't offended by something, that others might be? And whether you're offended or not, doesn't matter?

So if 99% of comedians do it and the world keeps spinning - what's all this stuff about stopping people from having free speech?? You literally just said that 99% of comedians do it.

Big and wealthy comedians have a platform that enables them to speak in a way ordinary people can't. Just because some people can say it doesn't mean free speech isn't under attack... that's a very basic point

Police get involved - No
Any Laws broken - No

On what moral pedastal do some people think they are standing on and dictate what is right or wrong. This is not a good path we are taking as a nation. This is how radicalization is created step by step.
There could very well have been workplace safety laws broken. It's not up to the public to determine what is morally "right" or "wrong", but if someone in the course of thier work duties felt uncomfortable, offended or in any other way put out by the actions of the players and it violated a protected category or was sexually explicit then, yes, that is a broken law.

How about this for an idea. One person has been offended by some giants players right. Why not organise the players involved to travel down to this pub, apologize face to face to the person, he or she accept the apology hopefully and we all just move on. The fines and suspensions are just so over the top.

ps - would love a player to stand their ground and refuse to pay a fine or take some legal action over the excessive nature of the fine. that would be bloody fantastic and would put the wind up the self righteous AFL.

There could very well have been workplace safety laws broken. It's not up to the public to determine what is morally "right" or "wrong", but if someone in the course of thier work duties felt uncomfortable, offended or in any other way put out by the actions of the players and it violated a protected category or was sexually explicit then, yes, that is a broken law.

Hurting someones feeling is not a crime.

This is a pandoras box

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back