Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we still expecting meathead footy players to be at genius level!
Two things...

I haven't read anywhere that they're being fined for offending anyone. I don't know what they did.

Do you not think that just because you aren't offended by something, that others might be? And whether you're offended or not, doesn't matter?
Did you ever think the latest generation are too ****ing soft!

They literally look to be offended by everything!

Seriously, missing games for being a dickhead at an end of season drinking session? Did they hurt anyone? Punch anyone?

Why the **** doyou expect drunk footy players to act like Rhodes scholars!

Why are we still expecting meathead footy players to be at genius level!

Did you ever think the latest generation are too ****ing soft!

They literally look to be offended by everything!

Seriously, missing games for being a dickhead at an end of season drinking session? Did they hurt anyone? Punch anyone?

Why the **** doyou expect drunk footy players to act like Rhodes scholars!
?

Is Andrew Dillon 'the latest generation' is he?? Jesus, how old are you FFS??

Hurting someones feeling is not a crime.

This is a pandoras box

If you do it knowingly though it makes you a bit of a shit campaigner. And in a diverse player group featuring young men of diverse ages, it's beyond foolhardy to do some of this shit expecting that someone won't be shocked or offended enough to sing.

Which brings me back to my first comment on the issue - "stupid is as stupid does."

If you do it knowingly though it makes you a bit of a shit campaigner. And in a diverse player group featuring young men of diverse ages, it's beyond foolhardy to do some of this shit expecting that someone won't be shocked or offended enough to sing.

Which brings me back to my first comment on the issue - "stupid is as stupid does."

Just because their low class idiots doesn't mean they are criminals.

Footballers should be allowed to dress up and make fun of Americans.

Oh please, what a load of utter high horse dribble.

Virtually all of the biggest comedians of our time have made jokes about things like rapists, child abuse, racism, the holocaust ect ect. A HUGE part of comedy is making light about dark topics, how do you not understand this???

Of course I understand it. You’re the one struggling to understand.

Make all the jokes you want. If you’re a public figure and your employer doesn’t like it, you’re gonna cop it from them. That’s life.

And it’s drivel, not dribble. Dribble is saliva.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it means they have a far wider and varied sense of humour.

Borish people do have a small sense of humour but their lack of humour is very obvious once you talk to them.
Ah ok. So finding piss takes about child sexual assault humorous makes one less “Borish”. Good to know.

Just because their low class idiots doesn't mean they are criminals.

Footballers should be allowed to dress up and make fun of Americans.

I haven't seen anyone suggest criminality.

I'm not arguing whether or not what they did is funny, I'm not even arguing whether theoretically these kinds of jokes can or can't be funny - I don't know, I haven't seen it, and I think there are far too many people here speaking as though they have seen it.

My point is merely that it's moronic to believe that parodying a sex offender won't offend someone and that it won't get out. You only have to offend one person. And it doesn't make them "woke" or whatever other reductive bullshit phrase morons want to use to avoid engaging in a debate about ideas - it just means they have different values and different thresholds for what they find funny, and perhaps it means that their values don't allow them to walk past that behaviour.

A bunch of AFL footballers are about to find out that when you strip away all of the bullshit they are not “professional athletes” after all

They are professional brand spokes-people for whichever advertiser is paying the bills this season

The players can cosplay being “stars” right up to the point where their antics might hurt the sponsor’s bottom line or reputation . . . but if they do something that might hurt the brand they will be reminded very quickly who pays the bills and where the real power in the relationship is

I haven't seen anyone suggest criminality.

I'm not arguing whether or not what they did is funny, I'm not even arguing whether theoretically these kinds of jokes can or can't be funny - I don't know, I haven't seen it, and I think there are far too many people here speaking as though they have seen it.

My point is merely that it's moronic to believe that parodying a sex offender won't offend someone and that it won't get out. You only have to offend one person. And it doesn't make them "woke" or whatever other reductive bullshit phrase morons want to use to avoid engaging in a debate about ideas - it just means they have different values and different thresholds for what they find funny, and perhaps it means that their values don't allow them to walk past that behaviour.

Well they did walk past it and went the weak as piss avenue.

They didn't say anything to the players did they?

Went and had a whinge to someone else?

Dark humor at a private event should absolutely be fine
It's not the issue of the dark humor itself. As I posted earlier, I have crossed lines heaps with my humor. But the issue is, they were representing the club and the AFL. This wasn't just a random piss up at a someones house.

Someone from my work got sacked, because he got too drunk, and said a few choice words at a bartender. And it was a private Christmas function, at a bar, that was privately organized by a few workers, and not the company itself. But because we were still representing the company, he was in breach of their Code Of Conduct, and was sent home the next day, and sacked only two weeks later.

I stick my dark jokes with my friends group, parties, or a comedy setting etc. I am definitely not stupid enough to drop one of those jokes, or misbehave at a function representing my employer.

Because the players are part of the AFL, and were representing the club at a end of year function. They are bound by AFL rules. Whether the AFL went over the top or not is another debate, given none of us know the full facts yet. But whenever you represent an organization, you are bound by their rules, when you sign a contract. Even the venue itself has their own rules. Big corporations are super strict on everything, where your local tradie group probably don't give a stuff.

I've had mad mondays where a bloke dressed as a controversial figure, where one ran across town naked during the day, where blokes did a strip/lap dance. Been in players groups where dark as memes were shared etc. We didn't care. But if it was the AFL, they are strict as on that kind of stuff, given they have billions in sponsorships at stake.

That being said. Every one in this thread needs to wait for the full facts to come out. Too many jumping on the "know", when we have only been drip fed bits and pieces.

Last edited:
It is a pretty interesting tale.

Sounds like she was a trailblazer.
Yes I guess I was, I was in the heraldsun and met the premier! originally there was 2 of us, but she went into the office 2nd year. John Shepherd of the Holden Dealer Team was my boss, one day he called me into the office and I thought I was in trouble! My hero ( I was 17!) Peter Brock was sitting there, and i got have coffee and a chat with him! Now that was the best day!! Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back