Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they did walk past it and went the weak as piss avenue.

They didn't say anything to the players did they?

Went and had a whinge to someone else?

You wilfully ignore an entire club culture and the power dynamics within it.

We know players who've been frozen out of playing groups, and subsequently their club for much less.

A question that I hope people will answer at face value, without involving the ideology and the coulda/shoulda/woulda of it:

If Toby Greene is set to be fined $20k for a failure of leadership... surely that failure would be serious enough to cost him his captaincy?

I couldn't care less what that idiot says.

A roast is when people willingly sign up to have a bunch of other people take the piss out of each other.

How you equate that to bullying boggles the mind.

It's a kind of sanctioned bullying/bullying that you've signed up to isn't it?

I have no idea why anyone would ever sign up to be the subject of one.

Yes I guess I was, I was in the heraldsun and met the premier! originally there was 2 of us, but she went into the office 2nd year. John Shepherd of the Holden Dealer Team was my boss, one day he called me into the office and I thought I was in trouble! My hero ( I was 17!) Peter Brock was sitting there, and i got have coffee and a chat with him! Now that was the best day!! Cheers!

close-door-the-office.gif

Zero bullying. It's all consensual.

Think of it as the people with a wicked sense of humours version of a rap battle.

Or are rap battles bullying too?

I think we've all seen roasts that, whether it was acting or not, got suuuuper uncomfortable and felt like they crossed a line for the subject of the roast.

Anyway, whether a roast is bullying isn't a particularly interesting discussion to me, nor is it particularly relevant to this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read my comment again. I sad if it's agreed upon then that's one thing, ie a roast. But if it's not then it's unwarranted and bullying.

But like I also said, the roast is not applicable to the GWS boys.

All roasts are agreed upon. That's literally what roasts are.

It's a comedy show where they book all the participants...

What I am learning from this thread is is that at this year’s Xmas function I’m able to make a bunch of jokes about rape and pedophiles and my employer hasn’t got the right to do a damn thing about it.

Nice… I’m glad I can come to BigFooty for career advice!
Who is organizing the Xmas function? Your company? Probably not the best move then.

I’d imagine the club itself had zero part in the organizing of the “whacky Wednesday” and would all be player lead.

Would imagine that makes a pretty big difference. If the club did any of the organising then the players are out of luck.

I haven't seen anyone suggest criminality.

I'm not arguing whether or not what they did is funny, I'm not even arguing whether theoretically these kinds of jokes can or can't be funny - I don't know, I haven't seen it, and I think there are far too many people here speaking as though they have seen it.

My point is merely that it's moronic to believe that parodying a sex offender won't offend someone and that it won't get out. You only have to offend one person. And it doesn't make them "woke" or whatever other reductive bullshit phrase morons want to use to avoid engaging in a debate about ideas - it just means they have different values and different thresholds for what they find funny, and perhaps it means that their values don't allow them to walk past that behaviour.

What are you actually on about?

As Jim Spigelman (one of Australia's grreatest legal minds) once said, there is no right not to be offended. That is the very essence of free speech.

Want to use big words like reducive? Possibly the most reducive thing I have read on this thread is you saying the threshold for what is acceptable expression through soeech or behaviour is that if one person out of thousands or millions is offended, it crosses that threshold.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back