Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Towards the bar tender? Well then that is wrong and the bar tender should of complained.
But if its between the players and the bar tender is just observing then it comes down to what is racism? What the bar tender might feel is racist the players might not feel is. The bar tender does not get to be the judge on that.
Some things are just universally offensive though. I would say dressing and renacting rape would be one of them.

Can I just say that if I did this at my work Christmas party I would have my logins cancelled, my desk cleared and my letter of dismissal served before I even arrived on Monday morning.
What if you did this at an end of season pub crawl?

People love equating them to a real job, but they dont have real jobs. They're not in the corporate world, their end of season function is very different to your Office Works xmas lunch

People love equating them to a real job, but they dont have real jobs. They're not in the corporate world, their end of season function is very different to your Office Works xmas lunch
That’s were it gets tricky players have contractual clause’s directly surrounding public behaviour

Gets back to the private function at a public bar argument but at the end of the day someone has complained and it seems the players have breached some of stipulations in the contracts they have signed

Surely someone at GWS could foresee the possibility of 'issues' if they're running with a 'Troubled Couples' theme?
Not much offends me these days, but I'm certainly aware of things that might upset others, for various reasons. You just never know what people might have been through. Having said that, the punishment - unless more happened that we're not being told - is way, way over the top.

The point of parties is to have a laugh and have some fun.

“Troubled couples” sounds like a cracking idea for a party theme.

It seems the problem in this case was there were people who took it too far.

I suspect the folks who are in trouble would have got into trouble irrespective of the theme.

I would still be ****ed. HR is at pains to say that non-affiliated events are not a free pass and I have seen people get in very hot water over it before.

I get that it isn’t a regular job, but the comparison is worth making

The point of parties is to have a laugh and have some fun.

“Troubled couples” sounds like a cracking idea for a party theme.

It seems the problem in this case was there were people who took it too far.

I suspect the folks who are in trouble would have got into trouble irrespective of the theme.
It is a good theme, but most parties are 50/50 male - female, so there's always a sort of balance. No balance in a room full of males only and very easy for things to get out of hand. Not that I think this is in the same league, but the stories I've heard about suburban Mad Mondays over the past 20 years are staggering. And not in a good way.

They are professional footballers, and for that reason it is a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What this incident shows us what we already know and that is a majority of footballers are not the sharpest knifes in the draw. Some of them are so inartiulate that they struggle to string a sentence together in post match interviews

Not posturing on what is right or wrong on this topic, but Zoomers definitely feel differently about this.
9/11 is a certified meme for kids nowadays.
Comedy = tragedy + time

Not that I think this is in the same league, but the stories I've heard about suburban Mad Mondays over the past 20 years are staggering. And not in a good way.

Worse than hiring dwarves and setting fire to them?

I get the argument that it happened in a private setting and that it should be left at that.

What I don't get though is why these players felt the need to push the boundaries of taste as they did - can't they have a great day without doing that?
Have you not experienced the comradery that comes with team mates doing some uncomfortably awkward shit that everyone just pretends didn't happen and you bond over the shared secret that you all now must carry?

I've kept my mouth shut about things I witnessed during footy trips so don't come for me outraged about other people being outraged brigade....

but yes I agree, I never quite understood why some players felt the need to particularly weird shit at these kinds of things. Is it because if we all do weird shit and don't tell anyone it means we can trust each other?

Have you not experienced the comradery that comes with team mates doing some uncomfortably awkward shit that everyone just pretends didn't happen and you bond over the shared secret that you all now must carry?

I've kept my mouth shut about things I witnessed during footy trips so don't come for me outraged about other people being outraged brigade....

but yes I agree, I never quite understood why some players felt the need to particularly weird shit at these kinds of things. Is it because if we all do weird shit and don't tell anyone it means we can trust each other?
I do think we should cut the players a bit of slack. Just a little because some of them are not the sharpest knifes in the draw.

Except it wasn't a good thing, was it- because they had it at a venue with staff in attendance who were not part of the private guest list.

Could have just hired a party house on AirBnB like normal people do.

The venue should have vetted the staff to see who was ok with working a function for young footballers wanting to let their hair down.

I don't think the twin towers could ever be portrayed in any comedic way.

Gilbert Gottfried infamously made a 9/11 joke at a Hugh Hefner roast only a couple of weeks after it happened.

The joke itself wasn't that offensive it was just more shocking that he made the joke so soon after it happened.

It was also shocking that Norm Macdonald didn't beat him to it, although it may have been too soon even for Norm.

Gilbert was the first comedian to make a 9/11 joke in public but he certainly hasn't been the last comedian to make one.

Fining Toby Greene is the most bizarre thing to me, I don't recall Riewoldt being fined when St Kilda set fire to a dwarf.

The old Toby tax in action again and the AFL and the world in general wasn't quite so uptight and reactionary 10 years ago.

Some things are just universally offensive though. I would say dressing and renacting rape would be one of them.

Now you are just guessing.

When people make on point rebuttals - fair enough.

When people make shit up to further their agenda, then you've already lost.

Why would you accuse them of re-inacting a rape when you have no idea if they did or didn't.

You are playing dirty pool here my man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back