Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was private you wouldn’t know about it.

It was, by definition, not private.

And yet it was.

It took a determined barman to go into the security CCTV footage the next day to actually find something offensive.

Does that not worry you?

That someone is so out to get you for some reason, they go to a venue in their own time to find something to hurt you with?

God forbid we ever cross a person like that as that level of vindictiveness is to me, completely unfathomable.

I think some of the people covering the story are being very loose with the term “private”.

Now I’m no fancy big-city lawyer but I think that an event held on the premises of another business, under the auspices of their liquor license, insurance, policies etc as well as some interactions with their staff (whether that is management, bar staff, security, cleaners, caterers etc) who are entitled to certain degrees of workplace safety, can’t really been seen as a truly “private” event.

Doesn't sound like the person who put in the complaint was even working the event.

So there's that.

GWS: we are committed to improving our culture and standards
Also GWS: hire Jake stringer.

Lmao

Doesn't sound like the person who put in the complaint was even working the event.

So there's that.

Not sure how this relates to my questioning of the concept of “private”?

Ever been to a comedy show?
There are different standards of behaviour at comedy shows and workplaces / pubs.

If you don't understand that then life may be confusing for you.

We don't have strippers at work xmas parties any more, most people understand why. They don't say "ever been to the Men's Gallery?"

If you don't mind answering, are there any topics that you feel are controversial that you have laughed at jokes/stand up comedy that have made light of them?
None that come to mind tbh but racism jokes sexist jokes etc etc usually just laugh off as whatever, hear them semi regularly. Can’t give you specific examples of what was said tho. Just hear it in general. I’m no different in some things bother me while others don’t.

And again to make it clear I am not one of those lefty types who runs around boycotting or trying to ruin people for an opinion. I am not cancel culture, I will just have my opinion of you is all

You got a source for that?

I was driving around this morn and Tom Elliott was speaking to a lawyer on the radio.

He mentioned that he got some information from a reliable source that suggested an employee was watching the CCTV the next day and laughing at what they were seeing.

It was another employee who came up to see what they were laughing at who got offended by it.

That was the jist of it from what I can recall.

And yet it was.

It took a determined barman to go into the security CCTV footage the next day to actually find something offensive.

Does that not worry you?

That someone is so out to get you for some reason, they go to a venue in their own time to find something to hurt you with?

God forbid we ever cross a person like that as that level of vindictiveness is to me, completely unfathomable.

It sounds like you’ve made up a fair bit of this scenario in your head.

In any case, “that should’ve been private!” at a pub, which have CCTV everywhere… how dumb can you be

Here's the sole reason the AFL threw a tantrum.

View attachment 2146482

They can't have anyone upsetting their self-induced White Elephant, the AFLW.

The AFL's almost pathological desire to make this competition relevant is amazing.
So what women think about all this is irrelevant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None that come to mind tbh but racism jokes sexist jokes etc etc usually just laugh off as whatever, hear them semi regularly. Can’t give you specific examples of what was said tho. Just hear it in general. I’m no different in some things bother me while others don’t.

And again to make it clear I am not one of those lefty types who runs around boycotting or trying to ruin people for an opinion. I am not cancel culture, I will just have my opinion of you is all

All good. I'm so starved on adult conversation in my normal life was just interested at a possibly different perspective on something I feel like I'm pretty settled on in terms of like broadly how we treat comedy in society.

Growing up in the 90s we laughed at a lot of jokes where the punchline was just like blatant racism which I'm sure a lot of people complain that "you can't say anything anymore" but by and large I hope we have moved on from a lot of that stuff. Being an actual functioning adult now I look back on it as pretty bad times for a lot of people.

Or is it possible, like all of us, that your social media algorithms are having an echo chamber effect? I am seeing a lot of criticism of the players in addition to the posts of support.
Not the case. I'm not on socials. I have read mainstream media articles and listened to radio. Very few comments in support of the AFL. "Workplaces" being able to issue fines for non work related activities is a slippery slope

Yeah gotta love mob rule.
They bring something into the public that was private they deserve a public response.

Hopefully they learn their lesson to deal with things personally rather than publicly.

Too many people appeal to authority - government give me this handout, social media lynch this person for me, AFL punish these naughty boys. Such people deserve the true democratic force of the public responding to them.

I was driving around this morn and Tom Elliott was speaking to a lawyer on the radio.

He mentioned that he got some information from a reliable source that suggested an employee was watching the CCTV the next day and laughing at what they were seeing.

It was another employee who came up to see what they were laughing at who got offended by it.

It should be basic investigative journalism to look whether that was how events unfolded. No staff members complained at the time but someone who watched the video at a later time got offended. Unfortunately, most journalists are beholden to corporate sponsors such as the AFL so they will toe the line.

jeez thats unlucky. Probably should have held it at a private venue next time.

It should be basic investigative journalism to look whether that was how events unfolded. No staff members complained at the time but someone who watched the video at a later time got offended. Unfortunately, most journalists are beholden to corporate sponsors such as the AFL so they will toe the line.

Imagine if they had cleared it by everyone involved and then it was just happenstance that someone else viewed it? That's wild. I can still support that the AFL do need to act but there's definitely some sympathy I feel to the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back