Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

"Alright guys, who here is offended by sexist, homophobic, or racist jokes? What about rape, child abuse..? Sorry, we're cancelling your shifts".

Good luck with that.
That's not how you do it. The manager should have just tested his material on them and see who he got a laugh out of.

The idea that because we(AFL) walked passed something at another time that not walking passed it today is weird, it bewildering to me.

Hey Hey its saturday had a red faces act come on in the 90's do a black face skit, Harry Connick Jnr was visibly disgusted, the rest of Australia didn't seem to either know or care why, while the rest of the world labelled us racists for having it on national TV.....we all know that shits not ok now, and we don't accept it.

Toby Greene is the captain of the football club. He has access to more training and conversations about behavioural standards than most other 30yr olds in this country, so I have absolutely no issue with him being held to account for letting this crap play out before his eyes.

Besides, he's a millionaire....he's going to barely notice a $20k fine, even if they keep it at that much, and if this is a wake up call for him and any other footy players, then that's great.

I thought Harry Connick Junior had been paid to play a black person's part in a movie.

Also made millions appropriating another group's music.

But Im sure he made amends by planting trees, buying a Tesla and donating cans of food.

But I don't get it. Django Unchained is a slave revenge blaxploitation movie. Got nothing to do with indigenous Australians. Idun is a black man whose father was from Ghana. Why would he need permission from his indigenous teammates to wear a cowboy outfit and recite Quentin Tarantino dialogue?

Because allegories can be cross-cultural ?

Dont watch any Roast with Pete Davidson. You may not survive being so horrified on his behalf.

Im sure he thanks you though.

Mel Brookes was asked is it ever too soon to make fun of any tragedy, the Holocaust and 9/11 being 2 examples. His answer was simple. Comedy helps people heal but if youre making fun of a tragedy it better be funny.

Some colourless dour people will want their whining to be heard, but for the majority, this is completely true.

Of course, we will laugh and move on to the next laugh, the whiners will quickly forget and move on to the next outrage to compete over.

As for Brookes, he probably doesnt know comedy. He did make that movie which used the N word. So he deserves to die.
I actually quite like dark humour and I enjoy finding humour in tragedy as well. You've hit the nail on the head though, it has to be funny and not everyone is good at working out the difference.

Bunch of footballers (not comedians) where there's awkward history around that dynamic and treatment of women, and you go for a joke about a guy abusing a woman? I'm not I can find the rationale to think that was going to be funny. It says a bit about whoever thought it was a good idea.

But I don't get it. Django Unchained is a slave revenge blaxploitation movie. Got nothing to do with indigenous Australians. Idun is a black man whose father was from Ghana. Why would he need permission from his indigenous teammates to wear a cowboy outfit and recite Quentin Tarantino dialogue?
Listen, when it comes to certain groups being offended its best to throw logic out the window when thinking about. Better still, get lobotomised to get on their wave length

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is actually pretty offensive considering Ghanaian's were the ones who sold most of the slaves to America. Not sure what it has to do with indigenous Australians though. Except for Tarantino's offensive attempt at an Australian accent in the movie.

You understand how these things are run right?
I understand there are laws and regulations that govern how workplaces operate. I am not sure how cancelling someone's shifts because they would be offended by racist jokes would go down under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. If my own personal dealings with HR are anything to go by, I would suggest: "not very well".

That is actually pretty offensive considering Ghanaian's were the ones who sold most of the slaves to America. Not sure what it has to do with indigenous Australians though. Except for Tarantino's offensive attempt at an Australian accent in the movie.
I would presume the photos of Indigenous Australians in chains may play a part.

I wasn’t aware of the Ghanaian part in the slave trade.

Seriously why couldn’t the AFL have released a report at end of the investigation announcing findings rather than the drib drab process of today.

A few years my boss had a bucks night that ended up in a strip joint. There was a mixture of work colleagues and his mates. His mates paid for him to be 'intimate' with one of the strippers. Should his employer have been told if someone at the club had made a complaint?
It depends, on a whole range of factors - starting with whether he was identifiably an employee representing that organisation or not.

There is not always a black and white answer for everything.

I understand there are laws and regulations that govern how workplaces operate. I am not sure how cancelling someone's shifts because they would be offended by racist jokes would go down under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. If my own personal dealings with HR are anything to go by, I would suggest: "not very well".

You could probably register the venue under a zionist charitable entity and enjoy carte blanche.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back