Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

If the matter is a police matter the AFL don’t do anything to until police proceedings have finished.

In a matter like this where no police case is ongoing they have no reason to hold back.

If Pickett gets convicted then the AFL will come down hard on him. If he doesn’t then they won’t.
He retired to avoid the consequences

shouting the simpsons GIF

What sort of loser dresses up in a costume enacting the September 11 bombings??? Thank god they went out straight sets. Losers galore.

That is not political correctness, that is just disgraceful.

I am the last person who believes in the laughable crazy political correctness from people getting constantly offended on other peoples behalf, but this is not that.

You don’t go around dressing yourself up as a terrorist attack… very low character
Actually thought is was beyond clever given the "twin towers" & theme of controversial couples

What sort of loser dresses up in a costume enacting the September 11 bombings??? Thank god they went out straight sets. Losers galore.

That is not political correctness, that is just disgraceful.

I am the last person who believes in the laughable crazy political correctness from people getting constantly offended on other peoples behalf, but this is not that.

You don’t go around dressing yourself up as a terrorist attack… very low character

Seems impossible 2 people dressed as towers could re-enact such an event but you've obviously done your homework on it to be this offended.

Grown men are threatening to boycott a pub and the AFL because their rape culture mascots are facing consequences.

Are they not perennially offended?
I walk by that pub. I don't think it will be hugely affected by the GWS fans boycotting it.

It is a waterfront pub in the city. It gets a mix of people who work in the area, navy and tourists.

Actually, if we did that at an unofficial work pissup with my colleagues and it got back to the company, we'd be screwed. You don't have to be a public figure.
That is true but there are also further protections for the person who informed the club because of their public figure status. Basically that it is in the publics best interests type stuff.

Comedians perform in private rooms away from public eye unless you want to be there. Not a hell of a lot of difference apart from 1 bartender. Plenty of similarity
Big difference is who pays the wage between the two groups

Footy players wage’s are paid by big companies who want to protect their brand and not have it affiliated with problematic subjects

It comes down to the employment contracts they signed with the AFL that they are in breach of

Those poor bar staff who probably see far worse behavior on a daily basis but don't feel the need to be a moral hero on random members of the general public.

If she was that offended too, why not just quit and walk out. Not like ya not gonna get bar work anywhere. The next pub down the street would probably put ya on that night!

Edit Just reading that she wasn't even there and she's later watched it on CCTV. That's on another level self-righteousness!

Last edited:
Incorrect. They have annual leave just like anyone else.
That is incorrect. Legally speaking, due to the public nature of their position, whilst they are afforded annual leave, they do represent the club, the AFL and their own public image 24/7. The AFL can pull their morality or public image clauses whenever they like as soon as things are made public.

I believe AFL cares more about this than other issues because they really want to have a squeaky clean image when it comes to sexual misconduct and women. I am pretty confident that if there was no sex dolls, this wouldn't of been an issue for the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can be critical of tasteless bahaviour, find it abhorrent even, but still defend the right of an individual to act that way, especially at a private function. The AFL is not the arbiter of reasonable behaviour, no employer is for mine. No laws broken except those of taste. AFL should not be involved. The fines are excessive as always for AFL players. Below is a sample a quick search for "man fined $5000 bought up." The AFLPA need to grow a spine and standup to the AFL overreaction.

Then why are they fining players for dressing up as famous movie characters?
One in all in type situation. Once the AFL were drawn in to investigate, they had to act. If it was only movie characters and Twin Towers, I believe the AFL couldn't of looked at the incident and therefore was not obliged to act.

The most extraordinary part of this is Conor Idon being fined for doing a act from a popular movie that I would guess may on this board have watched many times. Tarantino treatment of a sensitive subjective is ironic, funny, moving at times but filled with gauge, over the top violence and mayhem. Its irreverent. For me I love his dialogue but sometimes the violence is too slapstick.

Now the AFL, in this case I will guess the majority of people involved in handing down sanctions are white middles class people. Obviously Dillon is. Its stunningly wrong to me that they feel they can judge a black man, who took the time to discuss this with the other black men before going ahead, for dressing up as a black character to do a scene from Django.

This is a serious overstep by the AFL and too me extremely ignorant. They have no right to make this judgement.

That is incorrect. Legally speaking, due to the public nature of their position, whilst they are afforded annual leave, they do represent the club, the AFL and their own public image 24/7. The AFL can pull their morality or public image clauses whenever they like as soon as things are made public.

I believe AFL cares more about this than other issues because they really want to have a squeaky clean image when it comes to sexual misconduct and women. I am pretty confident that if there was no sex dolls, this wouldn't have been an issue for the AFL.
Why the other fines then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back