Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

The key difference with this and any other event is that someone needs to be in earshot and upset enough to complain.
Which is impossible to avoid, especially being a high profile bunch of footballers.
Many people have an outrageous and filthy stag do without doing this.
Yet, staff (read the public) will still take offence to things going on at said hens / bucks night.

There's a reason why those players wanted their event 'private', but the dumb asses didn't count on the 'public' (read the staff) being there taking offence. So what's the point of having a 'private' function if it is not permitted to be 'private'?

So wacky Wednesday WILL offend someone in the 'public', so best not have one.

Last edited:
So you admit that 'reasonable person' will vary in definition from one person to another.

So then you'll also concede that this could not possibly have been a 'private' function, because the intent was for it not to be public.

I guess then you don't agree with the below, then I guess you're not a liberal.

What should've happened is

-footy players hire a public venue for private event
-staff at the event should've been informed of what is going to take place
-if staff are uncomfortable, they make a request for it not to go ahead
-being the society that we are now, those costumes and skits don't happen

Or if you value liberal principles

-if staff are uncomfortable, they make a request for it not to go ahead
-being that this venue is being hired by a customer the staff members are given the choice to work the shift or not
-this doesn't go public, the AFL save face and don't have to be hypocritical, no damage done.
Nup- don’t think I did say that- I’m saying the law and the vast majority of people in our society, as evidenced by their behaviour, for the great majority of the time, buy into a pretty common and accepted version of what is reasonable. And I’m quite happy with that.

Nup- don’t think I did say that- I’m saying the law and the vast majority of people in our society, as evidenced by their behaviour, for the great majority of the time, buy into a pretty common and accepted version of what is reasonable. And I’m quite happy with that.
Ok then, given I've provided what is a pretty liberal value (the right to do privately that doesn't offend anyone in that intended private setting).

Please explain what the majority view as 'reasonable'. Not what msm tells you what is popular belief.

To be clear.

I'm not defending their actions, I'm defending their right to privacy. So that means if staff member is offended then that should not override the customers right to their privacy.

I think that's fair enough, if the intent is for their edgy wacky Wednesday to be NOT public they should be allowed that.

To oppose that is not at all liberal.

Ok then, given I've provided what is a pretty liberal value (the right to do privately that doesn't offend anyone in that intended private setting).

Please explain what the majority view as 'reasonable'. Not what msm tells you what is popular belief.

To be clear.

I'm not defending their actions, I'm defending their right to privacy. So that means if staff member is offended then that should not override the customers right to their privacy.

I think that's fair enough, if the intent is for their edgy wacky Wednesday to be NOT public they should be allowed that.

To oppose that is not at all liberal.
I’d hope and do believe that the majority of people would find jokes about sexual assault unfunny, or offensive, or unacceptable. Whilst context can matter, I’m assuming the afl have investigated and found that in this situation, it didn’t make the skit ‘acceptable.’
You seem focussed on privacy/snitching issues more than certain behaviour. And it’s just naive to say this was a purely private event - there must have been several people working there that night and I’ve no doubt things were shared on social media.
Are you a parent? And whether it was private or not, would you be ok with your son making jokes about sexual assault? Isn’t that the bigger picture here?
And that’ll do me for now-thank you for the chat.

Lol, you went from

People who want to clamp down on freedom of expression, freedom of speech, disgust me.
To

It depends, if it mocks the accuser, mocks the act, then I see no harm. If I thought it was distasteful. Remember, they never committed the acts. Do you get offended when these issues are depicted in movies?

Is it best that these issues are never spoken about again, brushed under the rug?
In the space of minutes.

Happy for them to take a whack ( sexual assault isn’t funny according to most reasonable people?) but yep, maybe the consequences could have been lighter. But are they that harsh anyway? It’s not that tough to miss a couple of games or get a 50

Lol, you went from

To

In the space of minute.
I was asked if I found sexual assualt jokes funny....my response, it depends. You need to look for nuance, I can find something distasteful, but still defend their right to do it.

Which is impossible to avoid, especially being a high profile bunch of footballers.

Yet, staff (read the public) will still take offence to things going on at said hens / bucks night.

There's a reason why those players wanted their event 'private', but the dumb asses didn't count on the 'public' (read the staff) being there taking offence. So what's the point of having a 'private' function if it is not permitted to be 'private'?

So wacky Wednesday WILL offend someone in the 'public', so best not have one.
You’re catastrophising.

17 clubs have had Whacky Wednesday this year without issue.

Hundreds of bucks and hens go on every week in Australia without issue.

The point of a private function is that you get to celebrate with your mates and not randos. Normal for every staff end of year party.

I’d hope and do believe that the majority of people would find jokes about sexual assault unfunny, or offensive, or unacceptable.
Of course, that shouldn't equate to a paid employee at that function being allowed to publicize a private function. After all the event was INTENDED to be NOT PUBLIC - for obvious reasons.
You seem focussed on privacy/snitching issues more than certain behaviour.
More focused that if a group pays for a private function they should be allowed that right for it to be private, that's what they paid for but didn't get it.

A paid employee might not like the event but that shouldn't give them right to out them because they don't like it, I don't like everything my employer 'allows', shouldn't give me the right to out the company because I disagree with some of their 'values'
And it’s just naive to say this was a purely private event - there must have been several people working there that night and I’ve no doubt things were shared on social media.
Then you haven't being reading my posts, on several occasions I've conceded that 'private' is impossible, and because of that impossibility that then takes away one's right to privacy.

Not at all liberal.
And whether it was private or not, would you be ok with your son making jokes about sexual assault? Isn’t that the bigger picture here?
Just because those players agreed on what they were going to do, locker room stuff among each other, which seemingly none of the players had an issue with, doesn't equate they're going to make sexual jokes to their kids, or give their kids the impression that it's ok, highly unlikely.

I think you see msm and what it reports or opines and believes that Jan and Joe public agree with what is likely not popular belief.

Thanks for the chat.

You’re catastrophising.

17 clubs have had Whacky Wednesday this year without issue.

Hundreds of bucks and hens go on every week in Australia without issue.

The point of a private function is that you get to celebrate with your mates and not randos. Normal for every staff end of year party.
'Catastrophising' lol.

You're not getting the point.

To be clear.

Because they paid for the event to be PRIVATE and NOT BE PUBLIC.

I'll add, I also agree that the players should've given the establishment knowledge of what they did BEFORE doing what they did.

Then, the staff can request it not go ahead, and then the players would've been told yes or no at the establishments discretion.

If the establishment then allows the group their proposed following actions then the establishment should allow staff member the choice to work the shift or not.

This is what I believe should've happened, couldn't be any fairer and equal.

Instead we've got an embarrassed and hypocritical AFL, with very harsh penalties on players, an employee that is likely very unpopular with their employer, if they're still an employee.

All could've been avoided if.

-The event isn't held at all (which is what should've been IMO)
-The establishment and it's employees accepts that the event is intended to not be public and accept not to make it public given that was the wish of the customer, regardless of how offensive they may find the event.

'Catastrophising' lol.

You're not getting the point.

To be clear.

Because they paid for the event to be PRIVATE and NOT BE PUBLIC.

I'll add, I also agree that the players should've given the establishment knowledge of what they did BEFORE doing what they did.

Then, the staff can request it not go ahead, and then the players would've been told yes or no at the establishments discretion.

If the establishment then allows the group their proposed following actions then the establishment should allow staff member the choice to work the shift or not.

This is what I believe should've happened, couldn't be any fairer and equal.

Instead we've got an embarrassed and hypocritical AFL, with very harsh penalties on players, an employee that is likely very unpopular with their employer, if they're still an employee.

All could've been avoided if.

-The event isn't held at all (which is what should've been IMO)
-The establishment and it's employees accepts that the event is intended to not be public and accept not to make it public given that was the wish of the customer, regardless of how offensive they may find the event.
You seriously expect the list of every joke and action given to the establishment before the night. Ignoring that a lot of costumes would have been planned after the event was booked.

Plus you expect AFL footballers to stay on script?

If they did we end back up in the exact same situation that we are in now.

You seem much more concerned about bad behaviour being called out than the bad behaviour itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back