Murphy to nominate for the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bellablaise said:
You seriously think he has one? :(

Edit: but as we're dredging up pointless data, Brisbane finished eleventh. So much better than Essendon, huh?

I think the people in glass houses routine kicks in here.

Rawhead said:
I think the people in glass houses routine kicks in here.

Excuse me? We finished top four, but again, that's pointless data. Not pertinent to what we're discussing. The fact that you would tell someone that they're not entitled to voice their thoughts because of where their team finished is quite laughable.

Bellablaise said:
Excuse me? We finished top four, but again, that's pointless data. Not pertinent to what we're discussing. The fact that you would tell someone that they're not entitled to voice their thoughts because of where their team finished is quite laughable.

Who the hell was talking about you?

Persecution complex much?

THATS RIGHT, WHEN A SUPPORTER OF A TEAM THAT FINISHED 13th USES THE FACT THAT WE FINISHED 11TH AS A BARB, I FEEL THATS QUITE LAUGHABLE.

Please try and follow the thread, it has nothing to do with St Kilda as far as I can tell. :D

Longy413 said:
Then why post?

That your petty arguement is flawed and rather childish.
Of course we are unhappy (or bleeding if you like) about finishing 13th, I'd be shattered if our supporters took it with some sort of joy.

What is my agrument?

I didnt even know I had one?!?

To answer Rawhead's point, we weren't the club out there offering a 5 year deal to a father/son, who just happened to be arguably the best kid up for drafting this year.

Pretty arrogant behaviour that when you think about it. Has nothing to do with where Essendon have finished as opposed to Brisbane, it's about the behaviour exhibited.

You really think Essendon are going to act that way with Jay Neagle, who looks set to come to Essendon via the F/S (Merv's boy?). You can be sure that we won't.

Rawhead said:
Who the hell was talking about you?

Persecution complex much?

If you're not talking to me, don't quote me. Saves confusion.

And as you brought up the fact Essendon finished thirteenth as a barb, I was merely pointing out you only finished two spots above them, so using your own logic, should you really be entitled to an opinion either?

pazza said:
To answer Rawhead's point, we weren't the club out there offering a 5 year deal to a father/son, who just happened to be arguably the best kid up for drafting this year.

Pretty arrogant behaviour that when you think about it. Has nothing to do with where Essendon have finished as opposed to Brisbane, it's about the behaviour exhibited.

You really think Essendon are going to act that way with Jay Neagle, who looks set to come to Essendon via the F/S (Merv's boy?). You can be sure that we won't.

lol

It's hard enough getting players to come up here, you probably dont venture outside your precinct much, but there's not exactly a lot of Footballers up this way.

The only way we can persuade players is by offering them generous contracts, at least until football in Queensland grows as a sport.

If you see that as an arrogant solution, well *shrugs shoulders*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rawhead said:
It's hard enough getting players to come up here

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Brisbane have the same amount of players on their list as every other club.

Murphy had a choice to go to Brisbane or enter the draft. The draft gives him no certainty over where he goes and he could still end up interstate (although unlikely).

From all reports a move to the City of Brisbane (as opposed to the club) wasn't the only factor in his decision.

He wasn't the first F/S to knock back an offer, he won't be the last.

Longy413 said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Brisbane have the same amount of players on their list as every other club.

Murphy had a choice to go to Brisbane or enter the draft. The draft gives him no certainty over where he goes and he could still end up interstate (although unlikely).

From all reports a move to the City of Brisbane (as opposed to the club) wasn't the only factor in his decision.

He wasn't the first F/S to knock back an offer, he won't be the last.

I dont get your point?

Of course we have the same number, how is that relevant to the point?

Rawhead said:
I dont get your point?

Of course we have the same number, how is that relevant to the point?

I just don't understand how you can say Brisbane can't attract players and more so how they differ in that regard to any other club.

You didn't comment on the rest of what I wrote, do I presume you agree?

Longy413 said:
I just don't understand how you can say Brisbane can't attract players and more so how they differ in that regard to any other club.

You didn't comment on the rest of what I wrote, do I presume you agree?

It was in the post previous page, you didnt address any of the points made.

Rawhead said:
lol

It's hard enough getting players to come up here, you probably dont venture outside your precinct much, but there's not exactly a lot of Footballers up this way.

The only way we can persuade players is by offering them generous contracts, at least until football in Queensland grows as a sport.

If you see that as an arrogant solution, well *shrugs shoulders*

I assumed you agreed with it all.

Rawhead said:
It was in the post previous page, you didnt address any of the points made.

I assumed you agreed with it all.

So the only way you got Troy Selwood, Jed Adcock, Jonathan Brown, Josh Drummound, Anthony Corrie, Luke Power, Justin Leppitsch, Martin Pike etc was by in your words "offering them generous contracts"?

Crap.

There is a draft system in place, and that system gives clubs access to players from all over Australia. That also comes with associated risk and success. The draft is where the vast majority of recruitment takes place.

We have heard over and over again how Brisbane players are staying at the club for much less than they get in the open market for the good of team success. Now you're trying to say this is different?

JeffDunne said:
They have #1 pick - they really don't have to promise him anything.
The point of Carlton making the offer, if they did that, would presumably be to ensure the player he had some security of location and tenure.
JeffDunne said:
The father/son rule needs to be looked at after this farce though. If a player can't nominate ten weeks before the end of the season that he wants to go to his old-man's club well he's hardly going there out of sentiment.

Murphy has used the F/S to leverage himself in the draft. It is not what it is intended for and IMO the rules should change in future.
What farce? Was Cousins not going to Geelong a farce? The F/S aspect is a bit unique. According to both the father and the son Brisbane ISN’T the club John Murphy played for. In any case he did play for more than one club (although not 100 games) so the emotional attachment to Brisbane is not there. I think assuming players only go to their father’s club out of sentiment is a bit of a stretch. Sometimes it’s just so they actually know where they will end up (eg Nick Davis) or to avoid ending up across the country (Murphy & Davis).

Other than getting rid of the F/S which would be a bad move IMO, how would you change it?

In this case at least it is pretty simple. The player had the choice of heading thousands of miles away to play for a club his old man never played for or stay home and get drafted by a local club.

Longy413 said:
So the only way you got Troy Selwood, Jed Adcock, Jonathan Brown, Josh Drummound, Anthony Corrie, Luke Power, Justin Leppitsch, Martin Pike etc was by in your words "offering them generous contracts"?

Crap.

There is a draft system in place, and that system gives clubs access to players from all over Australia. That also comes with associated risk and success. The draft is where the vast majority of recruitment takes place.

We have heard over and over again how Brisbane players are staying at the club for much less than they get in the open market for the good of team success. Now you're trying to say this is different?

Jed Adcock - North Ballarat
Josh Drummond - Northern Eagles
Luke Power - Oakleigh Chargers
Martin Pike - Norwood
Johnathan Brown - Geelong Falcons
Justin Leppitsch - Springvale

I dont follow your posts at all, sorry mate.

The point was that we offer better contracts because the talent pool in Queensland is MUCH smaller than Victoria, South Australia, or Western Australia.

Obviously draft pickups go where they are drafted, father/son drafts are different of course. Once their normal contract expires, Brisbane is faced with competing for their services against all the other clubs, and consequently have to deal with the fact of a player wanting to go back to their home state.

Certain key players have accepted deals less than their current market value, but I'm not sure where this fits into the discussion?

MarkT said:
Other than getting rid of the F/S which would be a bad move IMO, how would you change it?
I've never said that we should scrap it.

I just think a player should have to nominate as a F/S selection at least 10 weeks before the draft positions are known.

This is an interesting statement : "I think assuming players only go to their father’s club out of sentiment is a bit of a stretch."

Not that I disagree with this comment, as this case and others have shown that to be true, but isn't that the reason we have the rule? I see it as pointless if it gives a player leverage in the draft that isn't afforded to others again as this case has shown.

If a kid wants to play for his old-man's club - no problem.

If a kid gets advantages (choices) simply because his old-man played AFL football - that's wrong.

IMO it's simple, if they want to play for a club because of sentiment then they should be able to state that long before draft positions are known. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

Rawhead said:
Jed Adcock - North Ballarat
Josh Drummond - Northern Eagles
Luke Power - Oakleigh Chargers
Martin Pike - Norwood
Johnathan Brown - Geelong Falcons
Justin Leppitsch - Springvale

I dont follow your posts at all, sorry mate.

My point is you said Brisbane had to offer higher contracts to recruit players.
They don't. The vast majority are obtained through the draft (and that is what I meant when I asked where did these players come from) at fixed contracts.

Rawhead said:
The point was that we offer better contracts because the talent pool in Queensland is MUCH smaller than Victoria, South Australia, or Western Australia.

Obviously draft pickups go where they are drafted, father/son drafts are different of course. Once their normal contract expires, Brisbane is faced with competing for their services against all the other clubs, and consequently have to deal with the fact of a player wanting to go back to their home state.

Every club has issues when it comes to retaining players. Victorian clubs have to compete against 9 other clubs in their home state. Players can move clubs without actually moving home. Using Essendon as an example, we have a plethora of players from interstate as well, every player we drafted in the past National draft came from interstate, we too are at risk of the 'go home' issue. Infact 6 of the last 8 first year players we drafted in the National draft have been from interstate. We lost a Brownlow Medalist and an elite wingman because they wanted to go home.

Rawhead said:
Certain key players have accepted deals less than their current market value, but I'm not sure where this fits into the discussion?

Because it contradicts your point. You say Brisbane are have to offer larger contracts to recruit players, but Brisbane players have admitted that they are on less than they could get.

JeffDunne said:
but isn't that the reason we have the rule?
I think it has more to do with the club and the supporters myself. Regardless the issues aren't relevant in this case as we aren't talking about a club his father played for a more to the point one Marc has any attachment to. It's a bit unique and you can't make rules for every type of unique circumstance that might arise once every 30 years. Any issues this might highlight are not issues with the F/S rule they are issues with club mergers and possibly in the future, relocations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy to nominate for the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back