Murray Football League (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

dazzledavey36 said:
what club has he been training for hank?

Madtiger may be right, I believe he was asked to train at a melbourne based club (bulldogs I think), but he might not be training there. Was offered the opportunity though which surprises me that he wouldnt take it up. There is no way a club would draft somebody if they arent prepared to go down and train and show their wares.

Merdunna Kid 19 said:
Does anyone know whether spear head Michael Darcy from the Cygnet football club is thinking of signing with a club in the Murry comp?

Darcy played with tonny around 5 years ago. My tip is he could be chased by NAthalia as he played with Parker at Tonny. Him and parker would be a unstoppable combination in the murray, darcey kicked 98 goals for tonny in one year. Is a good bloke but has been known to put a fair price on his own head.

hank1 said:
Madtiger may be right, I believe he was asked to train at a melbourne based club (bulldogs I think), but he might not be training there. Was offered the opportunity though which surprises me that he wouldnt take it up. There is no way a club would draft somebody if they arent prepared to go down and train and show their wares.

Hawthorn invited him to go down and train with them.

Travvy43 said:
Darcy played with tonny around 5 years ago. My tip is he could be chased by NAthalia as he played with Parker at Tonny. Him and parker would be a unstoppable combination in the murray, darcey kicked 98 goals for tonny in one year. Is a good bloke but has been known to put a fair price on his own head.

He has kicked 100+ goals in the last 3 concecutive years, he has good reason to put a fair price on his head. 100 goals a year would go a long way in a season, but not just one, he could be relied on to kick you 5 or 6 a game.

I am not doubting the kid's talent, he can play. Tonny chased him to come back to them a couple of years ago but his demands were too much for the blues to handle. On top of what he wanted a game, he was after a fully furnished house, a job and a number of return flights to Tasmania so he could fly to visit his girlfreind and family, and also fly them over from time to time.

If a club can afford to pay for him, then good luck to them. He is a good player and a good clubman.

The last couple of years he has played in a minor league in tassie, from what i hear, a lesser standard than the Picola League.

Travvy43 said:
I am not doubting the kid's talent, he can play. Tonny chased him to come back to them a couple of years ago but his demands were too much for the blues to handle. On top of what he wanted a game, he was after a fully furnished house, a job and a number of return flights to Tasmania so he could fly to visit his girlfreind and family, and also fly them over from time to time.

If a club can afford to pay for him, then good luck to them. He is a good player and a good clubman.

The last couple of years he has played in a minor league in tassie, from what i hear, a lesser standard than the Picola League.

I wouldnt say its a weak competition the Regional League probably the third best comp in Tassie behing the Premier League and NTFL. Good player Darcy very strong over head and deceptively quick and a brilliant shot on goal never misses.

i know guy campbell very well, he is keen as mustard to be back at united. we started pre season trainin at united on wednesday night.

Brenton Cooper to play with Muwala next year. Big signing for them, if his hammies hold up, he would be a big bonus for them.

Interested to see mulwala signed Brenton Cooper, has been pretty injury plagued and last I saw him was looking pretty unfit, Doubt he will have much impact as he is getting on a bit.

willo1 said:
being a very close family member to guy campbell, he is keen as mustard to be back at united. we started pre season trainin at united on wednesday night, and he was in tune ready to fire in 2006.
He is keen and they are keen to have him play. I hope he tears them apart this year.

Punter_22 said:
He is keen and they are keen to have him play. I hope he tears them apart this year.

i hope thats a good thing!^^ haha, yeah i think if he is injury free and plays consistently, he will go close to winning the league medal. he played a good year with sydneys 2's and won the grand final aswell.

Travvy43 said:
Brenton Cooper to play with Muwala next year. Big signing for them, if his hammies hold up, he would be a big bonus for them.
geez that is big news. in the article in the shepp news this year regarding his departure at shepp united he was quoted saying he could not physically go on any more and that there was no chance of him taking the field again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big tony said:
have you heard the rumor about Cobram talking to Rory Hilton?
Geez, that'd be a fair amount of travelling from Melbourne every week. About 3 hours each way at least.

big tony said:
have you heard the rumor about Cobram talking to Rory Hilton?

Forget it lads, Rory has signed with his former junior club Euroa. The Maggies are desperate to go one better in 2006 and are pulling out all stops to make it happen.

Wellman heads back to Rumba as league folds

By Bill McCarthy

November 28 2005
Shepparton News

Keith Wellman is returning to Rumbalara Football Netball Club as football operations manager.

Wellman has been secretary of Central Goulburn Football League for eight years after a season with Rumbalara in 1998, one of the club's early years in competitive football.

He will work with players, coaches and the committee in helping take Rumbalara to the challenge of major league football in the Murray league.

Wellman told Central Goulburn league directors of his decision at their wind-up annual meeting at Violet Town on Tuesday night.

The meeting was told that Rumbalara wouldn't be paying players, apart from the coach and match incentives.

Wellman said the Murray league clubs had been worried that Rumbalara would enter with highly paid players, but the club intended to nurture its own players.

"I'm happy to be involved in the club scene," Wellman said.

League president for the past seven years Jim Ure and Wellman were thanked for their services to the league and to football in the Goulburn Valley Football League in the past 30 years.

Ure was a GVFL vicepresident and Wellman was secretary for a record term, after also being an official in the Kyabram District league and club circles.

Goulburn-Murray regional manager Freddo McMahon was one of the speakers to praise the CGFL administration.

Directors decided to distribute $2300 to each club.

Wellman will look after a few other small accounts as the league winds up.

An official motion was passed to wind up the league.

Any more news of any signings, things have gone a bit quiet here! have Nathalia appointed a coach yet?

congupna had a few players unveiled today in the shepp news

looks like pat tarrant will sign with echuca united. we will retain a majority of 2005's list with a few more new faces. news around the traps is that michael "maxy" walker has given up footy to play lawn bowls.

willo1 said:
looks like pat tarrant will sign with echuca united. we will retain a majority of 2005's list with a few more new faces. news around the traps is that michael "maxy" walker has given up footy to play lawn bowls.
Maxy has not committed yet from what I have heard. It could all depend on whether he is selected in Victorian representative sides. It would be a huge loss for the Eagles if he does not play next season.

Punter_22 said:
Maxy has not committed yet from what I have heard. It could all depend on whether he is selected in Victorian representative sides. It would be a huge loss for the Eagles if he does not play next season.
Won't be a big loss at all he broke his jaw and barely played last season, his fitness was not up to it anyway.

madtiger said:
Won't be a big loss at all he broke his jaw and barely played last season, his fitness was not up to it anyway.

it will be a big loss mate, even though he was injured, he was reasonably fit, and in the games he did play, he got in the best almost every game. kicked 5 goals at full forward in a game.

They are very close to signing a couple of very handy players who would more than make up for his loss anyway, also Luan marsh is allowed to come back from the bombers and play on their byes etc. will be lining up for the eagles against Moama on good friday. Should be a cracker.

who are the goulburn valley youngsters that congupna have signed up?

Paving The Road to success with youth
By Richard Goodbody

December 7 2005
Shepparton News

Newly appointed Congupna coach Travis Hampshire will invest his faith in youth next year after signing a handful of the Goulburn Valley's most promising youngsters.
Yesterday Hampshire confirmed that Jarrod Maskell (Shepparton United), Tim Kelly (Sebastopol) and Chris Bell (Shepparton) would all be lining up with The Road next year, as will experienced LockingtonBamawm United on-baller Brendan Morris.

"We've deliberately targeted blokes who are going to hang around the club for more than one year," Hampshire said.

"They're all young blokes who have got genuine leg speed and can handle the big grounds in the Murray Football League.

"They all look to be very promising footballers."

Last year The Road endured a horrendous season winning just one of their 18 matches.

However, with Hampshire at the helm, and a host of up-and-coming stars now on their list, The Road looks set for a marked improvement next year.

"Things are shaping up really well," Hampshire said.

"We're still speaking to a few blokes and we are hopeful of signing a few more.

"It looks as if it will be a good year next year."

Former Shepparton utility Terence Tuohey will also join The Road as chairman of selectors, while former Ardmona boy Brett Bodey has jumped on board as playing coach of the seconds.

n Congupna will begin its training program on Friday night with a light run and a barbecue afterwards.

All current and prospective players are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back