Murray Football League (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

Wonder where they get the money from. I remember a couple of years ago when they were first chasing Andy May. There were offering something stupid like $1000 a game.

Punter_22 said:
Wonder where they get the money from. I remember a couple of years ago when they were first chasing Andy May. There were offering something stupid like $1000 a game.

There are players on that and more up there Punter

madtiger said:
I don't play I only started following united last year when hedge took over I don't go to every game but just took and interest because of Mark, they look to be big improvers though the coaching/recruiting staff are doing a great job. The culture around the club really seems to be changing for the better.

With a recuiting budget of $200,000 things had want to change.What about the kids in the thirds ? does the club want them to play seniors ? doesnt sound like it .Paying maxi $450 is a joke,put the money into the kids @ least they will be there next year he wont be .Why would anyone with 1/2 a brain pay dayle reyne the reported figures of between $550 & $700 per game when the bloke cant kick left foot.For united to spend a decent dollar last year and not make the finals is testement to their recruiting and waste of someone else's money [sponsors and supporters]

sticks25 said:
With a recuiting budget of $200,000 things had want to change.What about the kids in the thirds ? does the club want them to play seniors ? doesnt sound like it .Paying maxi $450 is a joke,put the money into the kids @ least they will be there next year he wont be .Why would anyone with 1/2 a brain pay dayle reyne the reported figures of between $550 & $700 per game when the bloke cant kick left foot.For united to spend a decent dollar last year and not make the finals is testement to their recruiting and waste of someone else's money [sponsors and supporters]
Hang on a tick sticks. In the three years I have been watching Echuca United it has always been prepared to play its thirds players. Guys like Luan Marsh, Liam Guinan, Jake Guinan, Craig Frost and Jarad Nuttall have all played regular senior football.
The club has spent money to help find on-field leaders, guys like Guy Campbell, Simon McCarty, Duane Hueston, who have all played senior football at a high level and understand what it takes to succeed.
In the past the club has struggled, not through a lack of talent, but with a negative mindset. Paying a bit extra to have these guys around the club will change the mentality of the playing group and hopefully put a winning culture around the place.

Purples continue search

By Tim Rowe
January 10 2006
Shepparton News

Reigning Murray Football League premier Nathalia's prolonged search for a coach has stretched into its third month.

President Ron Butler yesterday confirmed the Purples, who broke a 27-year flag drought last season, are yet to sign a replacement for John Nihill.

"We haven't (got a coach) as yet," Butler said.

But he said he was hopeful, more than confident, that the Purples would be able to announce a new leader by early next week.

It is believed Nathalia has been awaiting a decision from Shepparton on-baller Jeremy O'Brien on the role since Christmas.

"We're not concerned about the delay," Butler said.

"We've looked at a few and we'll land one shortly."

Butler said the Purples' playing list had begun preparations for a premiership defence under star midfielder Ash Gemmill.

However, he ruled out Gemmill for the full-time job.

"The boys have been on the track and Ash Gemmill has been taking them, but he's just helping out," Butler said.

The Purples admitted in November they had been forced to look outside their own club to find a successor.

During that time, successful Waaia coach Mick Cleeland had been linked to the position.

Nihill, who has had two stints as coach of the club, quit the role to pursue a teaching opportunity in Western Australia.

Punter_22 said:
Hang on a tick sticks. In the three years I have been watching Echuca United it has always been prepared to play its thirds players. Guys like Luan Marsh, Liam Guinan, Jake Guinan, Craig Frost and Jarad Nuttall have all played regular senior football.
The club has spent money to help find on-field leaders, guys like Guy Campbell, Simon McCarty, Duane Hueston, who have all played senior football at a high level and understand what it takes to succeed.
In the past the club has struggled, not through a lack of talent, but with a negative mindset. Paying a bit extra to have these guys around the club will change the mentality of the playing group and hopefully put a winning culture around the place.

Punter,i agree with your theory of a negative mindset which still exists amoung your list,but this will never change while the club recruits players that are ONLY there for the big bucks.This is an actual fact,i have heard it from more than one horses mouth.Players that i have spoken to personaly have said "I wouldnt be playing there if it wasnt for the cash" and this has come from your so called on field leaders as well.Now if you were puting your hard earned cash into the club would you want these players?I know i wouldnt.The players you listed will be good players in their own right [frost is at Echuca FC ]but still not enough jr development for my likeing.If you can built a core group of local players,do what it takes to keep them you will reap the rewards for many years, not the one year these scrooges will stay for.Being critical i know,but looking out for the club.The last time the club made the finals 3-4 good imports and a bunch of great local blokes who could play footy .And were not getting paid the money that is being splashed around over the last couple of years.Has cost the club 5-10 years

Doona2 said:
Purples continue search

By Tim Rowe
January 10 2006
Shepparton News

Reigning Murray Football League premier Nathalia's prolonged search for a coach has stretched into its third month.

President Ron Butler yesterday confirmed the Purples, who broke a 27-year flag drought last season, are yet to sign a replacement for John Nihill.

"We haven't (got a coach) as yet," Butler said.

But he said he was hopeful, more than confident, that the Purples would be able to announce a new leader by early next week.

It is believed Nathalia has been awaiting a decision from Shepparton on-baller Jeremy O'Brien on the role since Christmas.

"We're not concerned about the delay," Butler said.

"We've looked at a few and we'll land one shortly."

Butler said the Purples' playing list had begun preparations for a premiership defence under star midfielder Ash Gemmill.

However, he ruled out Gemmill for the full-time job.

"The boys have been on the track and Ash Gemmill has been taking them, but he's just helping out," Butler said.

The Purples admitted in November they had been forced to look outside their own club to find a successor.

During that time, successful Waaia coach Mick Cleeland had been linked to the position.

Nihill, who has had two stints as coach of the club, quit the role to pursue a teaching opportunity in Western Australia.

Nathalia look like they wil be right up there again after the uncertainty of the past couple of months. Brendan Parker looks as though he will play on again with the purples and it is likely Nath Gemmill will return from o/s and play at some stage

sticks25 said:
Punter,i agree with your theory of a negative mindset which still exists amoung your list,but this will never change while the club recruits players that are ONLY there for the big bucks.This is an actual fact,i have heard it from more than one horses mouth.Players that i have spoken to personaly have said "I wouldnt be playing there if it wasnt for the cash" and this has come from your so called on field leaders as well.Now if you were puting your hard earned cash into the club would you want these players?I know i wouldnt.The players you listed will be good players in their own right [frost is at Echuca FC ]but still not enough jr development for my likeing.If you can built a core group of local players,do what it takes to keep them you will reap the rewards for many years, not the one year these scrooges will stay for.Being critical i know,but looking out for the club.The last time the club made the finals 3-4 good imports and a bunch of great local blokes who could play footy .And were not getting paid the money that is being splashed around over the last couple of years.Has cost the club 5-10 years

Have to agree with you on this one sticks. Maybe they should be cutting the bigger payments in half and getting a better range of players who will get them into the finals. This will also allow them to develop their younger players and the club. Echuca's premierships were won without buying any big imports.

The last couple of years has seen United spend big bucks with no results. It seems about time the club recruited some recruiters!!! Maybe some younger blokes with a bit of influence and their finger on the pulse. The last time United made a prelim final the only bloke on big bucks was Macri, the locals were the key. I think Tenace kicked 100 goals that year.

Lucky they have a loyal group of supporters who drink enough grog to forget about the result by the final siren (and prop up the budgets!)

sticks25 said:
Yeah that is a fair comment. I would hope that the people they have got at the club are there for more than the money, because if they can put it together they could play some good football and make the finals. Frosty is coming back to United this season and will wear Heritage's number two jumper. Looking at the rest of Echuca-Moama there is not a lot of local talent to put together a strong side. I hope they stick together and do well. I have seen what the one-year scrooges can do to a club and I do not hope that on many clubs.

sticks25 said:

this post would have to be the biggest load of horse******** ever. for starters their recruiting budget is nowhere near that and Dale reyne is getting nowbhere near that figure. I will concede that Maxi was a mistake not because of his ability but his attitude, the other players on contracts ie Hueston and baker were worth every cent last year as their performances on and off the field were great. Guy Campbell didn't sign with United for money he played his juniour footy there and his father is involved. the rest of the team are made up of local players mostly that have come through the thirds ie, luke Jones, the rowbottoms,guinans, nuttall etc. who are all these players saying they would not be there if only for the cash? Maxi Walker would be the only one.

madtiger said:
this post would have to be the biggest load of horse******** ever. for starters their recruiting budget is nowhere near that and Dale reyne is getting nowbhere near that figure. I will concede that Maxi was a mistake not because of his ability but his attitude, the other players on contracts ie Hueston and baker were worth every cent last year as their performances on and off the field were great. Guy Campbell didn't sign with United for money he played his juniour footy there and his father is involved. the rest of the team are made up of local players mostly that have come through the thirds ie, luke Jones, the rowbottoms,guinans, nuttall etc. who are all these players saying they would not be there if only for the cash? Maxi Walker would be the only one.

You had better tell Reyne to keep his mouth shut then,other clubs offered him a similar amount and he told them he would play for the best offer.Bakers attitude is in the same boat as Walker.Campbell is the only genuine recruit that will be 110% commited to the club[worth the coin ].Maybe he can insert some disipline and direction.
Do some math,with out any awards they have commitments of around 140k-150k.I just think they are doing the wrong for football in all country areas when they dont have too.

so its not horse manure its fact.[in my opinion of course]

United supporter.

man oh man. i have just read some of the most un-true and useless posts in this thread. being a thirds player at united and will be going into play seniors next year, i cannot believe what has just been said by you guys. madtiger is the one in the know. dont believe everything you hear. its not all true you know ;)

Two clubs still to sign senior coaches

By Richard Goodbody
January 11 2006
Shepparton News

Reigning premiers Nathalia and Waaia are the only clubs in the Goulburn Murray region without a senior coach for the forthcoming season.
The premiership clubs, which are the current Murray and Picola District football leagues' champions respectively, remain on the lookout for new headhonchos after Mick Cleeland and John Nihill retired at the end of last season.

While Nathalia remains optimistic that it will sign a coach in the coming days, the Bombers are yet to make an announcement on who will lead them this year with just 11 weeks remaining before the season proper begins.

Speculation continues to mount that Cleeland will return to the Bombers' post, despite having resigned from the role and having rejected the Purples' position, but the whispers are getting louder by the day.

In all, there are 53 clubs in the Goulburn Murray region, which incorporates the aforementioned competitions, as well as the Goulburn Valley and Kyabram District football leagues.

In a major shake-up, there will be 25 new coaches for the coming season, while the remaining 28 will enter their second year or more in charge respectively.

GVFL

Peter Tossol (Mansfield)

Travis Ryan (Tatura)

David Williams (Rochester)

Steve Daniel (Seymour)

Dylan Butler (Echuca)

Anthony Mellington (Shepparton)

Steve Hazelman (Shepparton United)

David Gleeson (Euroa)

Jason MacFarlane (Benalla)

Jarrod Sutherland (Shepparton Swans)

Mark Adamson (Kyabram)

Derek Hall (Mooroopna)

MFL

Chris Mitsch (Deniliquin)

Chris Kennedy (Mulwala)

Leon Higgins (Tocumwal)

Tony Tranter (Barooga)

Rob McCartney (Numurkah)

Travis Hampshire (Congupna)

Mark Heritage (Echuca United)

Greg Brain (Finley)

Trevor Mills (Cobram)

Adrian Hickmott (Rumbalara)

Daryl Harrison (Tongala)

Paul Clarke (Moama)

??? (Nathalia)

KDFL

Scott Hanson (Rushworth)

Corey Carver (Lancaster)

Mark Patten (Stanhope)

Peter Thorpe (Avenel)

Matt McDonald (Murchison)

Gerard Osborne (Tallygaroopna)

Brian Simpkin (Ardmona)

Ross Andrews (Nagambie)

Jodie Canavan (Girgarre)

Shane McLennan (Merrigum)

Darren Kirkpatrick (Violet Town)

Adrian Wilson (Yea)

Jason Whittaker (Undera)

PDFL

Mark Lambourn (Katandra)

Adrian Timmis (Wunghnu)

Adam Brunt (Picola United)

Darren Ogier (Katamatite)

Adam Waasdorp (Yarroweyah)

Scott Greig (Dookie United)

David Putamorsi (Tungamah)

Terry Blake (Mathoura)

Jeff Fehring (Deniliquin Rovers)

Chris O'Dwyer (Katunga)

Matt Barden (Blighty)

Gerard Doyle (Shepparton East)

Barry Roe (Berrigan)

John Brunskill (Strathmerton)

??? (Waaia)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sticks25 said:
You had better tell Reyne to keep his mouth shut then,other clubs offered him a similar amount and he told them he would play for the best offer.Bakers attitude is in the same boat as Walker.Campbell is the only genuine recruit that will be 110% commited to the club[worth the coin ].Maybe he can insert some disipline and direction.
Do some math,with out any awards they have commitments of around 140k-150k.I just think they are doing the wrong for football in all country areas when they dont have too.

so its not horse manure its fact.[in my opinion of course]

United supporter.

If Bakes is only there for the money I would be very surprised, he was at every club function and has good mates at United, I heard another story that Reyne was not happy at Echuca anyway he had issues with the coaching staff. I know hedge and he is not into paying players that are not worth the money he is 110% committed to making United a good club on and off the field. Maxy was a mistake and I believe that the club learnt from that. Most footy clubs have to pay decent money for KPP at least United don't pay money for players travelling up from melb who ******** off straight after the game they are all locals who live in the area. The math you are doing is not with accurate figures, I don't know where you got a 200,000 budget from.

madtiger said:
If Bakes is only there for the money I would be very surprised, he was at every club function and has good mates at United, I heard another story that Reyne was not happy at Echuca anyway he had issues with the coaching staff. I know hedge and he is not into paying players that are not worth the money he is 110% committed to making United a good club on and off the field. Maxy was a mistake and I believe that the club learnt from that. Most footy clubs have to pay decent money for KPP at least United don't pay money for players travelling up from melb who ******** off straight after the game they are all locals who live in the area. The math you are doing is not with accurate figures, I don't know where you got a 200,000 budget from.

Every year about this time we hear how promising United will be but it is always a tale of woe. The performances of the last few seasons should reflect a club that isn't paying anyone, however, we all know they are (I'm not so concerned whether it is $80K or $200K- the fact is they aren't achieving).
You can keep defending the club until the cows come home but until we see some results you United supporters are just full of hot air. Maybe it is time for someone to make a bold move at the Eagles and appoint Guy Campbell as coach!

badhairday said:
Every year about this time we hear how promising United will be but it is always a tale of woe. The performances of the last few seasons should reflect a club that isn't paying anyone, however, we all know they are (I'm not so concerned whether it is $80K or $200K- the fact is they aren't achieving).
You can keep defending the club until the cows come home but until we see some results you United supporters are just full of hot air. Maybe it is time for someone to make a bold move at the Eagles and appoint Guy Campbell as coach!

Yer firstly It doens't matter if your spending just along as you can pay and secondly that your club gets somewhere. I think United will finally crack it for a finals spot this year and silence a few.

i have sat here reading these ridiculous and ludacrous allegations about the echuca united football club, and have thought to myself who the hell are all you people?! are you just a bunch of gossip queens that believe everything you hear..? why dont you all tell everyone who you are? so that people from the eufc know exactly who you are.. i would also like to know where you get all this bull**** information from..:confused:

On The Money said:
Yer firstly It doens't matter if your spending just along as you can pay and secondly that your club gets somewhere. I think United will finally crack it for a finals spot this year and silence a few.

Good luck I hope United do make it to the finals.

Good luck on getting a seniors birth Willo1, I hope you star. What name should I watch out for?

On The Money said:

With the list United have assembled I couldnt see there be any way that they could not make the finals this year. They had a finals list last year and they have just topped up to be right in the hunt for 2006.

hank1 said:
With the list United have assembled I couldnt see there be any way that they could not make the finals this year. They had a finals list last year and they have just topped up to be right in the hunt for 2006.

too bloody right! some of you idiots (not hank1, madtiger or badhairday) need to actually realise that our united seniors only missed out on finals in 2005 by 2 games. one was a draw vs moama on good friday (which was the biggest farce anyway) and vs. nathalia in about round 18 where we were up throughout the game until 1/2 way thru the last qtr and got beaten by 1 kick. and it wasnt that we layed down, our boys were just knackered from caning the league leaders in the 1st 3 quarters. that just shows you that our boys could mix it with the best! (as nathalia went on to win the flag)

It's time to stand up

January 12 2006
Shepparton News

Numurkah coach Rob McCartney believes the Blues need to shake the tag of being a good young football side.
"We're past that now," McCartney said yesterday following a tough training session.

"We need to become a good football side.

"Whenever you attach the word young, there's a tolerance there for inconsistent performances, and we can't afford that."

McCartney is embarking on his second stint at the Blues' helm, having coached the Murray Football League powerhouse from 1998-2001, including back-toback flags in 1999-2000.

McCartney said the Blues' current crop of players boasted more depth than when he first took over the club in 1998.

"We probably don't have as many match-winners, but the depth of talent now is better," he said.

"That was one of the main reasons I decided to put my hand up to coach again."

Numurkah has finished the past two seasons in sixth position, just a game outside the top five under the tutelage of former coach Mark Brown.

McCartney said for the Blues to take the next step and become a finals football side, it would require a collective lift from the entire squad.

"We won't be able to rely on three or four players to get the team over the line," he said.

"We're going to be an even squad that will require a consistent contribution from the whole playing group."

In order to extract this overall drive, McCartney believes fitness will be the key.

"Our aim between now and the season proper will be to develop a strong fitness base for the squad," McCartney said.

"We can't afford any weak links."

PURPS GET THEIR MAN

By Mark Brown
January 17 2006
Shepparton News

Nathalia Football Club's protracted search for a new senior coach is finally over, with veteran ruckman Brent Smith winning the top job.
Nathalia president Ron Butler yesterday confirmed the appointment, four months after premiership hero John Nihill announced he was stepping down from the Purples' helm.

Smith's promotion was finalised late last week.

The 33-year-old, who has coached Picola United on two separate occasions (1997 and 2001-02), will officially take over the reins tomorrow night.

"That will be his first training session," Butler said.

"We think he'll do a top job.

"He was at the club last year so he knows all the players and he's well respected by the entire group."

Smith crossed to Nathalia at the start of last season after a twoyear stint as assistant coach with Tongala in Goulburn Valley Football League.

After suffering a serious knee injury early in the year, Smith recovered to play a key role in Nathalia's first Murray Football League premiership in almost 30 years.

Smith said yesterday he was looking forward to the challenge of spearheading the Purples' title defence.

"I'm as keen as mustard," Smith said.

"I spoke to the club about it (senior coach) a while ago and told them I was interested, but that I'd be busy (on the farm) up until Christmas.

"As it turned out, things have quietened down and I'm right to put 100 per cent into the role."

Smith, who turns 34 next month, said the Purples had managed to keep a majority of their senior list intact.

The only confirmed departures are gun on-baller Leigh Ramsdale, who is returning to Yarrawonga, and promising key forward Brett Vallender, who has crossed to Benalla.

Former Murray Bushranger Ryan Butler is also tipped to depart the club for either Echuca or Geelong, while reigning O'Dwyer medallist Nathan Gemmill is expected to return from overseas in time for the season proper.

Smith said his late appointment did not put the club behind the eight ball in terms of preparation for the upcoming season.

"I was surprised by how the players responded after winning the flag," he said.

"They haven't slacked off at all.

"Most have been in the gym and running for a while now and look really fit."

Smith said the club still had "a few lines" in the water concerning potential recruits and would set its sights on securing a top-three finish.

"If we think we're going to turn up and go through the season like last year, undefeated, then we're kidding ourselves," he said.

"We've got to put in the hard yards and go from there."

Samtrish said:
Delisted Kangaroo Michael Stevens has signed with Mulwala

I heard that today but didn't believe it. I wouldn't have thought Mulwala would be able to match the money of O&M and GV clubs. Maybe they got him a good job? I think there might be a connection with Brendon Cooper too. Benalla must be spewing. Big coup for Murray league

heard Benalla couldnt pay the asking price. rumoured that mulwala got hima house on the lake, a job and huge match payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back