Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

Harrison backs Blues next season

By Richard Goodbody

December 12 2005
Shepparton News

Newly appointed Tongala coach Daryl Harrison believes the Blues' debut season in the Murray Football League will be a successful one.
Harrison, who signed with the Blues in late October after stints with Golden Square, Rochester and as an assistant coach at Stanhope, made the declaration yesterday after taking control of the club's pre-Christmas training sessions.

"Things are looking good at the moment," Harrison said.

"We had 30-odd on the track the other night, which is encouraging.

"And there seems to be a good feel around the place."

Boosting Harrison's confidence is the return of close-checking onballer Ash Nunn.

Nunn, who was a fixture in the Blues' side before he left the club at the conclusion of the 2004 season, recently confirmed his commitment to the club for next season.

"It's good to have him back," Harrison said.

"He's a good player and he'll add a bit to our midfield.

"We've got a few young kids as well, but we're still in talks with a number of other players."

n Meanwhile, Harrison also confirmed that the Blues had settled on an alternative strip for next year.

Tongala will wear a similar jumper to SANFL side Sturt, in a bid to prevent a guernsey clash with Numurkah, who are also the Blues.

"It's a little bit like the light blue M & M one Carlton wore a few seasons back," Harrison said.

"But not as ugly.

"We'll wear that against Numurkah and the club is also exploring the possibility of wearing it as a permanent away strip."

Tongala will wear its traditional navy blue strip in its remaining matches.

Punter_22 said:
Maxy has not committed yet from what I have heard. It could all depend on whether he is selected in Victorian representative sides. It would be a huge loss for the Eagles if he does not play next season.
Can guarantee you that Maxy Walker will be playing his sport on green grass but it wont be of an oval shape. Believed to be a bit of cash going round on the lawn bowls scene if you look hard enough. Will be a big loss for United, though Campbell will compensate for a lot of that

Rushy Tiger said:
Can guarantee you that Maxy Walker will be playing his sport on green grass but it wont be of an oval shape. Believed to be a bit of cash going round on the lawn bowls scene if you look hard enough. Will be a big loss for United, though Campbell will compensate for a lot of that

They have another 2 key forwards in the pipeline they are going to announce this week as well one is signing tonite and the other on the weekend, they will be huge improvers next season.

Moama have been in talks with a couple of Ardmona players who seem to be keen for a change. Both 6 foot plus and will add a bit of toughness to the side if they sign

Echuca United signed Dale Reyne from Echuca last night, they had about 25 on the track.

From all reports Nathalia premiership player Leigh Ramsdale will be joining best mate Tim Hargreaves back at Yarrawonga next year.

Do Nathalia have a coach yet??

half time lollies said:
Do Nathalia have a coach yet??

Nathalia do not have a caoch yet. They advertised the position three weeks ago and no one applied for it. Theya re currently ringing people throughout the region to see if they are interested int he position.

Bit weird, this team won the flag and would be one of the favourites for next year, yet they do not have a coach???

Travvy43 said:
Nathalia do not have a caoch yet. They advertised the position three weeks ago and no one applied for it. Theya re currently ringing people throughout the region to see if they are interested int he position.

Bit weird, this team won the flag and would be one of the favourites for next year, yet they do not have a coach???

I find that weird too Travvy, you would think with the amount of senior players they had one of them would step up to coach. Maybe some of the players are moving on, i heard Echuca are talking to Ash Gemmill

hey madtiger whats ya name? are you from united?

I don't play I only started following united last year when hedge took over I don't go to every game but just took and interest because of Mark, they look to be big improvers though the coaching/recruiting staff are doing a great job. The culture around the club really seems to be changing for the better.

yeah i agree totally mate, i play thirds for united, and the whole club has changed enormously. all for the better of course ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Lion to snarl at Cobram (SHEPP NEWS)

Cobram's aggressive offseason recruiting campaign has paid immediate dividends through the acquisition of former Brisbane Lion Darren Bradshaw.
Bradshaw, who played one game for the Lions in 2002, has spent the past two seasons playing with Wodonga in the Ovens and Murray Football League, but recently agreed to a two-year contract with the Tigers.

The 25-year-old goalkicking ace, who is the younger brother of current Brisbane Lions forward Daniel Bradshaw, is the second prized signing for the Tigers in as many months.

In early November, Cobram enticed Trevor Mills, who took the Tigers to premiership glory in 1995, to end his nine-year absence with the club.

Not surprisingly, Mills believes Bradshaw's signature is a major coup for the Tigers.

"It's fantastic," Mills said.

"Not just us, but the club, the town and the league.

"But if we are going to sit back and think things are just going to happen for us now we're mad.

"The Murray league is a very strong league and we need a lot of improvement to get where we want to get."

Playing for Wodonga in 2000, Bradshaw won his first league goalkicking medal as a 20-year-old before moving to Mt Gravatt the following season and repeating the feat.

After a brief but memorable career with the Lions, Bradshaw then switched to West Adelaide and duly won the Bloods' best and fairest after booting 97 goals in a memorable season.

"It's been a pretty tough call to leave Wodonga because I've got a lot of close mates there, but I just needed a bit of a change," Bradshaw said.

"I didn't really enjoy my footy this year for a few reasons and I think I just needed a fresh start and I didn't want to ever play against Wodonga.

"Cobram has been really professional in their dealings and I went over there at the weekend and was really impressed with their facilities and what they are trying to do."

braddy is a boom recruit for Cobram. And he would not be cheap!
He has relatives involved at Seymour FC and when the lions approached him last year he wanted massive kanga. Providing the Cobram side has a good midfield who can get the ball down there regularly, I can't see why he won't topple the ton in the Murray comp.

the rumor keeps bobbing up that big danny irwin is thinking of heading up Tongala way in 2006. Between tonny and stanhope he may have a foot in each camp.

care to comment Blues fans?

HJ32 said:
the rumor keeps bobbing up that big danny irwin is thinking of heading up Tongala way in 2006. Between tonny and stanhope he may have a foot in each camp.

care to comment Blues fans?

Havent heard the Tongala one, know that Stanhope spoke to him but he said he had retired.
How was his reputation left after this year and the situation that unfolded from a Colbo point of view?

hank1 said:
Havent heard the Tongala one, know that Stanhope spoke to him but he said he had retired.
How was his reputation left after this year and the situation that unfolded from a Colbo point of view?

The Timing wasnt great but Colbo respected his decision. He gave the hoppers pretty good service for 3 years and at 34 you can understand that priorities change in life and footy becomes a chore rarther than an enjoyment when youv'e got other things going on. I heard the Tonny scuttlebutt but didn't really believe it, simply because big dan is past Major League footy standards now. Stanhope and Rushy would be mad not to at least ask him if he wants to play considering he has strong connections at both clubs.

At this stage i couldnt see him playing any footy, but in saying that it would surprise me that come Feb he has a few things sorted out and decides to pull on the boots again. Where that will be could be anyones guess.

Travvy43 said:

Heard Big Smith is the leading candidate. Mick Cleeland has withdrawn from the race.

Cats have new Brain trust

By Tim Rowe
December 28 2005
Shepparton News

Finley Football Club has named former player Greg Brain as its new coach.
A Murray Football League cellar-dweller in recent years, the Cats have won only seven games during the past two years.

But Brain, who played 100 games for the club before moving to the Wagga Wagga area, believes he can turn around the club's fortunes.

"It has to change and I think we can do that," Brain said.

"We have a lot of young guys pushing up and I want to play finals.

"Finley lost six or so games by less than two goals last year, so we aren't far away and there seems to be a good feeling around the place."

Brain, who coached Farrer Football League club The Rock-Yerong Creek to premiership glory and was named its Coach of the Century, replaces Robb Hawkins at the helm.

The MFL will take on a different complexion next season, with the addition of Rumbalara from the nowdefunct Central Goulburn Football League, according to Brain.

"With clubs like Rumbalara coming in and other clubs being very active with their recruiting it's going to be very competitive," he said.

Meanwhile, reigning premier Nathalia is yet to name a replacement for drought-breaking coach John Nihill.

Nihill stepped down following the Purples' easy grand final victory against Tocumwal in September.

He is heading to Western Australia to further his teaching career.

Oddie
December 30 2005
Shepparton News

Rumours continue to circulate that Shepp Bears on-baller Jeremy O'Brien is close to signing as the new coach of Murray Football League club Nathalia.

O'Brien is the latest name to be linked with the Purps, who are still searching for a replacement for premiershipwinning coach John Nihill.

Nihill stepped down from the top job after leading Nathalia to its first premiership in almost 30 years this season.

Club officials are remaining tight lipped about any moves to lure O'Brien across to Nathalia, but don't be surprised if there's an announcement early in the New Year.

Doona2 said:
Oddie
December 30 2005
Shepparton News

Rumours continue to circulate that Shepp Bears on-baller Jeremy O'Brien is close to signing as the new coach of Murray Football League club Nathalia.

O'Brien is the latest name to be linked with the Purps, who are still searching for a replacement for premiershipwinning coach John Nihill.

Nihill stepped down from the top job after leading Nathalia to its first premiership in almost 30 years this season.

Club officials are remaining tight lipped about any moves to lure O'Brien across to Nathalia, but don't be surprised if there's an announcement early in the New Year.

Is it part of his job with the league that he plays in the G.V.F.L or is he a free agent?

Andrew May has left Deniliquin to play for Balranald. Will be a huge loss for the Rams, the guy is a freak. Apparently Balranald is throwing the chequebook at a few other Rams to see if they will go. Interesting times ahead for the boys from Deni.

Balranald have thrown big bucks around for 2-3 years now and have still come up short, but somehow the people throwing in the big coin seem happy to keep doign so.

Golden fleeced Ram joins a new mob

By Mark Brown
Shepparton News

Deniliquin has lost the services of explosive onballer Andrew May.

Rams coach Chris Mitsch yesterday all but confirmed the four-time premiership star had quit the club and would cross to Balranald for the coming season.

"Things aren't looking too bad (for next season), apart from Andy," Mitsch said.

"He's apparently heading over to Balranald, which is a bit of a blow for us. He's a very good player."

May, widely regarded as one of the premier onballers in Murray Football League, was a member of the Rams' all-conquering premiership quadrella from 2001-04.

His loss will leave a considerable hole in Deniliquin's on-ball stocks, however, it's not all bad news for the Rams.

Key defender Rob Resuggan has baulked at an invitation to follow May and will remain at Deniliquin next season.

"Rob has committed, which is great news," Mitsch said.

"He had a bit of a think about it (rival offer) but has decided to stick around.

"Rob's developed into a top-line defender.

"He did some great jobs for us last season and it's nice to know he's there to cover the opposition's key forward."

Mitsch said the club had also regained the services of premiership player Tim Holobowski, who has returned from the Gold Coast.

Troy Bartlett will also resume playing after missing most of last year with the dreaded osteitis pubis.

Mitsch said he was quietly confident the Rams could remain a genuine contender this year.

"We've probably got 10 or a dozen guys who walked straight into this side from juniors and played in two or three flags," he said.

"I'm not saying they got it easy, but hopefully last year was a reminder how hard premierships are to win and that sparks them to work even harder this year."

Deniliquin finished fourth last season, missing the grand final for the first time since 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back