Murray Football League (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

King_Cobra said:
do u guys have an offical website?
Murray Football League: www.mfl.vcfl.com.au
Each of the clubs in the VCFL are assigned their own wesbite, but a lot of the clubs do not update or maintain them, and Deni are one of them unfortunately.

Willo

You seem to be pretty confident about Echuca Uninted chances come finals time. Obviously you play for them and you have to be a bit bias in you views but what about Barooga? For what its worth, I think the GF will be between Nathalia and either Barooga or Mulwala. If Mulwala manages to get a full team on the park (apparantly 6 out at the moment) they could be a dark horse. Ran them to within 3 goals a month or so ago after giving them a 10 goal head start.
Barooga are a tough side and if they get on a roll with big Moose Brooks leading the way anything is possible.
Will be an interesting game EU vs Mul this weekend with the winner near on guaranteed a spot in the top 3 with a chance at 2nd.

Cheers Gooroo

Goorooswami said:
Willo

You seem to be pretty confident about Echuca Uninted chances come finals time. Obviously you play for them and you have to be a bit bias in you views but what about Barooga? For what its worth, I think the GF will be between Nathalia and either Barooga or Mulwala. If Mulwala manages to get a full team on the park (apparantly 6 out at the moment) they could be a dark horse. Ran them to within 3 goals a month or so ago after giving them a 10 goal head start.
Barooga are a tough side and if they get on a roll with big Moose Brooks leading the way anything is possible.
Will be an interesting game EU vs Mul this weekend with the winner near on guaranteed a spot in the top 3 with a chance at 2nd.

Cheers Gooroo

Would have Nathalia and Echuca United as the two best sides I've seen this year, only side havent come across is Mulwala will see them in a couple of weeks. Nathalia by far the best onball(Gemmill's, Barnes, Lucas) in the league and United the best forward line McCarty, Campbell, Hueston, Reyne, Turner, Rowbottom) if all are fit.

Goorooswami said:
Willo

Cheers Gooroo

Yeah I am confident about United but it is not a biased opinion, It is an honest opinion. I do not belive that Barooga have that little bit extra to be successful come finals. They suffered a huge blow when Ramadan Yze returned to his original club (one of the Shep sides). I still stand by my word. Nathalia and Echuca United, Tocumwal, 28th September.

hank1 said:
Would have Nathalia and Echuca United as the two best sides I've seen this year, only side havent come across is Mulwala will see them in a couple of weeks. Nathalia by far the best onball(Gemmill's, Barnes, Lucas) in the league and United the best forward line McCarty, Campbell, Hueston, Reyne, Turner, Rowbottom) if all are fit.

I would agree 100% with you on everything you have said there hank.

talk up all the sides you want guys, no one is getting near nathalia. I just cant see who can stop their onball division and who will stop parker. the defence is tight and all runners go all day with no passengers. this would be the certainty in country footy if you had to pick it.

ringo1 said:
talk up all the sides you want guys, no one is getting near nathalia. I just cant see who can stop their onball division and who will stop parker. the defence is tight and all runners go all day with no passengers. this would be the certainty in country footy if you had to pick it.

Although you say no-one is getting near Nathalia, looking at results so far this year, there is every possibility that they can be beaten.
In Round 1, Mulwala 11.15 (81) def Barooga 8.11 (59).
In Round 2, Echuca United 16.5 (101) def Mulwala 14.14 (98).
In Round 5, Nathalia 11.15 (81) def Barooga 11.6 (72), Only a 9 point buffer and Parker only kicked 4 goals, so obviously someone did the job on him.
In Round 6, Nathalia 17.6 (108) def Echuca United 10.11 (71), although it was a 37 point win, Parker had only kicked 3 goals until 3 qtr time. Campbell had done the job on him for those 3 quarters but was moved to the centre in the final term. United got within 17 points of Nathalia but couldn't quite pull it off. Also in Round 6, Tocumwal 19.14 (128) def Mulwala 12.4 (76). Although Toc have struggled with a couple of injuries, they arn't as good as people say Mulwala are.
In Round 8 Echuca United 10.11 (71) def Barooga 10.9 (69). If it wasnt for United's snow start and the fact they were without Campbell in the last quarter show that they were capable of a bigger winning margin. After a 6 goal first quarter, Barooga only kicked 4.4 after quarter time.
In Round 10, Nathalia 17.11 (113) def Tocumwal 5.3 (33), this shows that Tocumwal must be the goods against Mulwala, but not so great against Nathalia.
In Round 12, Nathalia 19.6 (120) def Mulwala 16.7 (103). Only a 17 point margin, shows that Mulwala were capable of defeating Nathalia, Parker kicking only 4 goals.
In Round 14, Barooga 13.5 (83) def Mulwala 9.8 (62). So Barooga are capable of defeating Mulwala.

Basically, above are the figures, now here is the summary. Nathalia are a great side, dont get me wrong but there are teams who can and have gotten near them. Mulwala, Echuca United and even Barooga have the firepower to A) Hinder Parker's impact on the game, and B) Defeat Nathalia. Although teams can have off days and do occasionally drop games that they perhaps should have won, but there is the total possibility of Nathalia being defeated.

Willo

Great summation and wrap of what has happened in the league so far. The major point you highlited though was that Nathalia haven't been beaten yet. When Parker has an off day and only kick 4, the Gemmills are down a bit and the other 15 top players have a bit of a bad day, they still manage to win even if sides are getting close to them. Great side that will take a fair bit to shake.
Got a whisper from a loyal Lion fan that they will have 4 back in the 1s (FF, C, RR & CHB - fairly handy returns) and another few in the 2s. I wouldn't mind having a quid that they roll you blokes on the weekend in both grades. Are you playing? If so where abouts? Might get over and have a look if possible.

Cheers Goorooswami

Goorooswami said:
Willo

Great summation and wrap of what has happened in the league so far. The major point you highlited though was that Nathalia haven't been beaten yet. When Parker has an off day and only kick 4, the Gemmills are down a bit and the other 15 top players have a bit of a bad day, they still manage to win even if sides are getting close to them. Great side that will take a fair bit to shake.
Got a whisper from a loyal Lion fan that they will have 4 back in the 1s (FF, C, RR & CHB - fairly handy returns) and another few in the 2s. I wouldn't mind having a quid that they roll you blokes on the weekend in both grades. Are you playing? If so where abouts? Might get over and have a look if possible.

Cheers Goorooswami

Thanks mate,
Yes, I know they havn't yet been defeated, but one of the points I was trying to get at is I dont believe it will be too long before they suffer defeat either in the second half of the season or even finals.
United have players such as Baker, Nuttal, Jones, Campbell, Hueston, Guinan and Frost who are more than capable of limiting the possession of the likes of Barnes, Butler, the Gemmil brothers and Trimby. Big Dalzeil has the experience and head smarts to be competitive against Lucas.
As for Mulwala, Nathan Parker, Chris Kennedy, Michael Stevens and Justin McCabe are huge contributers for the Lions each week and also have enough to beat the Purps.
Yeah come over and have a look. I'm not sure yet if i'm in the Seniors or Thirds this week, as both games are crucial in deciding if we finish in the top two. If im in seniors, look for a lightly built winger/flanker wearing #44.;)

All good points you blokes make about Nathalia. Nathalia gets Kyle Gemmill back this week and he is just as important to the team as his cousins Ash, Nath and Marc.

He doesn't get the recognition they get because he plays in defence. He's the most courageous player I've seen and with Bourke, Liddell and him back in the team their backline looks a lot stronger.

It's also only a couple of weeks to Happy Quarrell returns. He gives plenty of bite and nastiness to the team.

The top four in the league looks very even.

Tips for Round 15:
Deniliquin v Nathalia
Cobram v Finley
Moama v Barooga
Mulwala v Echuca United
Rumbalara v Numurkah
Tocumwal v Tongala
Congupna Bye

Some tough hit outs this weekend. Echuca United in a blockbuster against Mulwala, and Tongala to give Tocumwal a red hot go.

how do the brothers from barooga go? Rowan and Damion O'Callaghan that is??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

azza32 said:
how do the brothers from barooga go? Rowan and Damion O'Callaghan that is??
The O'Callagahan boys are both having a solid season. Rowan is chipping in with a couple of goals each week and Damion is also going well. Both very hard at it and solid contributers for the Hawks.

willo1 said:
Tips for Round 15:
Deniliquin v Nathalia
Cobram v Finley
Moama v Barooga
Mulwala v Echuca United
Rumbalara v Numurkah
Tocumwal v Tongala
Congupna Bye

Some tough hit outs this weekend. Echuca United in a blockbuster against Mulwala, and Tongala to give Tocumwal a red hot go.

Willo should have left that little quote off the end.
What happened in your game, heard Stevens and Cooper were injured late, Toc were very good, too quick and committed for our blokes, very disappointing performance.

hank1 said:
Willo should have left that little quote off the end.
What happened in your game, heard Stevens and Cooper were injured late, Toc were very good, too quick and committed for our blokes, very disappointing performance.
Yeah I thought your boys would have performed a lot better than they did. As in Round 2, Stevens injured his leg late in the 3rd quarter. It was a tough game but unfortunately we didnt come home with the 4 points. I still believe that United are a stronger unit, but did not capitalise on its chances throughout the game.

G Day all MFL supporters (& Willow)

Took the chance to have a look at the Echuca U- 3rd vs Mulwala -4th game and what a ripper it was. It was one of the fastest, highly skilled & tough games I have seen for a long time. Willow - I think your comments are bordering on being very biased because of a few things I saw. 1- The EU forward line as a combined unit is probably the best bar none in the MFL BUT if they all want to be receivers and not do the hard work the team will suffer. Dissapointed with the games of Campbell & Reyne but impressed with Baker & Hueston. 2 - At 3/4 time I made my way to the EU huddle to have a look. At this stage when the game was in the balance & a big blue had just finished, I thought it would have been a perfect chance for Heritage to settle the troops and get their minds back on the job. Instead he was wanting to have a blue with a Mulwala supporter who had made their way to the EU huddle. I don't know if he has the support from the players or not but seems like he could be a bit of a loose cannon and costly to the club sometimes.
After the game my tip for the finals is Nathalia V Barooga or Mulwala with EU finishing in around 4th spot.
Willow - you also mentioned capatalising on chances, Mul had 10 more scoring shot so maybee you were lucky to get within 4 goals.
Apparantley Stephens has a broken leg and Cooper a suspected broken cheek bone so Mulwalas horror run of injuries continue.

In the 2s EU-3rd Vs Mul4th was also an interesting game with Mul running away with it in the end. For Mul, O&M and MFL legend Dennis Phibbs gathered countless possesions on the wing while big Bennett was unstopable up forward. For EU I thought big Brownlie did a top job in the ruck and Weetra played his usual livewire game.

The 3rds was another top game with EU 2nd Vs Mul 4th going hard at it. EU seemed to have the size advantage all over the ground but Mul seemed the more disiplined team and come away with the 4 points. Willow - It looks as though a good feed would not hurt you! All the best for the rest of the year.

Cheers Goorooswami

Goorooswami said:
G Day all MFL supporters (& Willow)

Took the chance to have a look at the Echuca U- 3rd vs Mulwala -4th game and what a ripper it was. It was one of the fastest, highly skilled & tough games I have seen for a long time. Willow - I think your comments are bordering on being very biased because of a few things I saw. 1- The EU forward line as a combined unit is probably the best bar none in the MFL BUT if they all want to be receivers and not do the hard work the team will suffer. Dissapointed with the games of Campbell & Reyne but impressed with Baker & Hueston. 2 - At 3/4 time I made my way to the EU huddle to have a look. At this stage when the game was in the balance & a big blue had just finished, I thought it would have been a perfect chance for Heritage to settle the troops and get their minds back on the job. Instead he was wanting to have a blue with a Mulwala supporter who had made their way to the EU huddle. I don't know if he has the support from the players or not but seems like he could be a bit of a loose cannon and costly to the club sometimes.
After the game my tip for the finals is Nathalia V Barooga or Mulwala with EU finishing in around 4th spot.
Willow - you also mentioned capatalising on chances, Mul had 10 more scoring shot so maybee you were lucky to get within 4 goals.
Apparantley Stephens has a broken leg and Cooper a suspected broken cheek bone so Mulwalas horror run of injuries continue.

In the 2s EU-3rd Vs Mul4th was also an interesting game with Mul running away with it in the end. For Mul, O&M and MFL legend Dennis Phibbs gathered countless possesions on the wing while big Bennett was unstopable up forward. For EU I thought big Brownlie did a top job in the ruck and Weetra played his usual livewire game.

The 3rds was another top game with EU 2nd Vs Mul 4th going hard at it. EU seemed to have the size advantage all over the ground but Mul seemed the more disiplined team and come away with the 4 points. Willow - It looks as though a good feed would not hurt you! All the best for the rest of the year.

Cheers Goorooswami

Great summary there Gooroo. I'd say Reyne was having an off day, but Campbell was coming back from injury so it may have had an affect on the game and possibly unable to get into the swing of things. I was waiting for you to say that YOU were the Mulwala bloke who Hedge got angry with, luckily you wern't!

It's a massive coincidence that Stevens injured his leg against us, as he did in Round 2. Could be a massive blow for Mulwala's finals campaign.

It was a disapointing loss for us in the thirds. Unfortunately discipline is one of the key area's we struggle with in our games. Hopefully this can be eradicated as it will be an important factor for us heading into the finals. Haha yeah i'm trying to put on a few extra kg's! I've always been built like a whippet but this being my final year of thirds, I will have to work on my body size to make sure im a regular in the Ones next season.;)

Cheers Mate.

willo1 said:
Great summary there Gooroo. I'd say Reyne was having an off day, but Campbell was coming back from injury so it may have had an affect on the game and possibly unable to get into the swing of things. I was waiting for you to say that YOU were the Mulwala bloke who Hedge got angry with, luckily you wern't!

It's a massive coincidence that Stevens injured his leg against us, as he did in Round 2. Could be a massive blow for Mulwala's finals campaign.

It was a disapointing loss for us in the thirds. Unfortunately discipline is one of the key area's we struggle with in our games. Hopefully this can be eradicated as it will be an important factor for us heading into the finals. Haha yeah i'm trying to put on a few extra kg's! I've always been built like a whippet but this being my final year of thirds, I will have to work on my body size to make sure im a regular in the Ones next season.;)

Cheers Mate.
Interesting to see how people watching the same game can come away with completely different perspectives. I thought Reyne played a ripper - his attack on the pill was first class, he has a big engine and ran all day, and a few of United's other forwards could take a leaf out his book in terms of tackling and defensive pressure. I thought it was a pretty good game from him given his form has been patchy at best over the last month.
Though Nathan Rowbottom did pretty fair job on Lamberti after quarter time, but the damage was done by then - Lamberti's early goals set up the situation where United was playing catch up footy for the rest of the day.

Cracker of a game though, very willing and there'll be plenty of sore bodies around Echuca and Mul today.

G Day Boys

I was having a read of the local rag (Shep news) today and I saw that they gave Reyne Echuca's best. I couldnt believe it as I thought Baker & Hueston were standouts.
As for Mulwala's Maher, he was a standout and won BOG honors hands down. The tackle he put on Number 16 (I think) in the last 1/4 left him wondering what world he was in or what he had been hit by. Maher looks a very tough & hard at it player.

Cheers Goorooswami.

Goorooswami said:
At 3/4 time I made my way to the EU huddle to have a look. At this stage when the game was in the balance & a big blue had just finished, I thought it would have been a perfect chance for Heritage to settle the troops and get their minds back on the job. Instead he was wanting to have a blue with a Mulwala supporter who had made their way to the EU huddle. I don't know if he has the support from the players or not but seems like he could be a bit of a loose cannon and costly to the club sometimes.

He used to be a loose cannon as a player, but unsure of the way he goes about his coaching.

Goorooswami said:
G Day Boys

I was having a read of the local rag (Shep news) today and I saw that they gave Reyne Echuca's best. I couldnt believe it as I thought Baker & Hueston were standouts.
As for Mulwala's Maher, he was a standout and won BOG honors hands down. The tackle he put on Number 16 (I think) in the last 1/4 left him wondering what world he was in or what he had been hit by. Maher looks a very tough & hard at it player.

Cheers Goorooswami.
That player who was tackled by Maher in the final term was Liam Guinan, no. 19. I was doing water and went straight up to him after it happened and he didn't know if he was Arthur or Marther, a true quality tackle.

Disappointing to see a coach lose it when the stakes seemed so high. Perhaps this could be the difference come finals time.Incidents like these can cause changes at the top.Will he be there next year?

Babe Ruth said:
Just wondering ive heard some good things on Luke Quinn, is he still at Nathalia? Is he any good?

He's a pretty handy player and a really good bloke. Small defender with good skills who played in Nathalia's premiership last year.

Chose to cross to Kyabram this year and he seems to be going well. His younger brother Ash plays at Nathalia and is a really good player.

Nathalia was disappointed to lose him at the end of last year as all the boys were keen to have a crack at back-to-back.

ringo1 said:
Disappointing to see a coach lose it when the stakes seemed so high. Perhaps this could be the difference come finals time.Incidents like these can cause changes at the top.Will he be there next year?

Why would they not reappoint a coach who has almost single handedly recruited players like Hueston,Campbell,Baker and Reyne. I have been a EU supporter for over 10 years and before that Echuca East i can't remember the club ever having this much interst or positive vibes they barely used to get 10 to traning now they get in excess of 30. What is the problem in telling an opposition supporter who is in the huddle slagging off United players to F*** off most coaches woud do that I would think, united had a very average game but that is not the coaches fault. Cambell was coming back from a broken foot after 8 weeks on the side lines they were also missing Mcarty who has been one of their best all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back