Murray Football League (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League - Part 3

Hey toquick can you tell me if mellington is going around again this season. I heard that he may be hanging up the boots.

Hey toquick can you tell me if mellington is going around again this season. I heard that he may be hanging up the boots.
Gday mate, from all reports i have been given Mel is going around again. At this stage the only player we have lost is Michael Weatly.

can someone give me clarification on rules for permits etc, not sure they exist any more
My understanding Bandit is players can play on permits provided they are playing senior football in a division above that which they are registered at. ie a div 2 player can play ones in div 1 etc etc. Generally the amount of games allowed is 1 game below the amount of games required to qualify to play finals in the league.
I find your comments about higher level clubs struggling interesting, unfortunately thanks to the u18's comp and despersing of the old u18's comp. and zoning, there is very little incentive for the better younger players to play at a higher standard.
They either make it through the national draft as a 18year old through TAC sides or they don't make it at all.
Very very few players make it onto a AFL list directly from a regional club now unfortunately.

My understanding Bandit is players can play on permits provided they are playing senior football in a division above that which they are registered at. ie a div 2 player can play ones in div 1 etc etc. Generally the amount of games allowed is 1 game below the amount of games required to qualify to play finals in the league.
QUOTE]

All goes on minor and major league in your respective zones. Both MFL & GV allow up to 8 senior game permits which can include up to 4 reserve games to be played from a minor league club.
In our area GV and Murray league both have agreements with KDL and PDFL. GV may also have an agreement with the HDFL as a few Colbo players have played on permit for Rochy over the years.

I see a post on the AFLQ thread stating that Ash Gemmill has signed at Redlands - could this be right?:confused:

Would be close to the mark I think, before Christmas he said he was looking to head up to the Sunshine coast.

I see a post on the AFLQ thread stating that Ash Gemmill has signed at Redlands - could this be right?:confused:

Could be no Ash, no Nath, and no Marc Gemmill at Nathalia next year.....

Ash hasn't signed but it appears a formality that he is leaving town.

Add to that list D.Barnes, R.Butler and B.Parker.
Is big Peng finally retiring?? A heap of fullbacks will be heaving a collective sigh of relief if he is..

We just need to find a museum big enough to display those huge golden footy shorts..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is big Peng finally retiring?? A heap of fullbacks will be heaving a collective sigh of relief if he is..

We just need to find a museum big enough to display those huge golden footy shorts..

he's moved over to adelaide and is undecided on whether he will travel back to play at this stage... i think they need him big time

he's moved over to adelaide and is undecided on whether he will travel back to play at this stage... i think they need him big time
I tend to disagree. Yes, the club will say goodbye to a number of quality players, but I don't think it's time for the club to be worrying about being in finals contention this season. Now is the best time to foster the young blokes and prepare them to be the next Drew Barnes' and Ryan Butler's of the club.

I tend to disagree. Yes, the club will say goodbye to a number of quality players, but I don't think it's time for the club to be worrying about being in finals contention this season. Now is the best time to foster the young blokes and prepare them to be the next Drew Barnes' and Ryan Butler's of the club.
From our point of view as i've said on here before we won't be as strong as we have been we have lost some quality players which are very hard to replace unless the club spends big dollars, which we don't want to do.
we have had our time in the spotlight and as deni did we made the most of it as well.

we will most likely begin a rebuilding stage and you will see some very different lineup's when nathalia take the field this year. we may not win the flag this year but i reckon we're a good shot to still play finals.

I was under the impression that his old club nth adelaide might have a job for him . maybe a forward coach or something . It was not the most reliable source from which I heard this gossip though , so feel free to halve it and then minus the rest :D

From our point of view as i've said on here before we won't be as strong as we have been we have lost some quality players which are very hard to replace unless the club spends big dollars, which we don't want to do.
we have had our time in the spotlight and as deni did we made the most of it as well.

we will most likely begin a rebuilding stage and you will see some very different lineup's when nathalia take the field this year. we may not win the flag this year but i reckon we're a good shot to still play finals.

It's been a while since you'se have struggled BB, you've obviously forgotten what it's like, here's abit of a reminder of what you've got to look forward to if you don't eventually buy players. . . . . . . You don't get as many people turning up to your games any more, moral within the playing group drops a little, numbers at training aren't as good as they once were, memberships drop off, sponsorships become tighter, the talented players you have that did stay are gonna ask for money (or more money), people doing things for free will be hard to come by as some people will even become too busy to help out there anymore.
As for playing finals, even with D.Butler on board, unless you get a hand full of QUALITY recruits i. . . . . No. . . . NO NO NO NO NO NO.
But you were right, you'se have had your time in the spotlight, any club would be happy with the amount of on feild success you've had.
But you need to be realistic. The last crop of "local" talent was freakish, but you'll never have that luxury again. that's no disrespect to your young lads but it's a fact. And after you've struggled for a little while, you'll get hungry for a premiership again (that's what it's all about anyways isn't it?).
I mean these are the problems faced by ever club every where. Don't think for one minute your immune because it'll just make your fall from grace all the more harder.

so with the losses nathalia is expected to have this season and taking into account other recruiting news who are now the expected favorites for 2009?, or is it now going to be a very open season?

so with the losses nathalia is expected to have this season and taking into account other recruiting news who are now the expected favorites for 2009?, or is it now going to be a very open season?

Think Barooga still has to be, Nathalia and Moama will both come back to the field which leaves them at the top alone, they haven't seemed to be as active on the recruiting front this off season, but I'm sure they will give themselves every chance after being so close for so long. The other 3 to make the Top 6 in Rumbalara, Tongala and Numurkah so far seem to be holding their spots, Rumba has been relatively quiet, Numurkah have lost some very good players but picked up some very good ones & Tongala haven't lost anyone but haven't picked up anyone.
The sides outside the Top 6 that could show up are Toc, recruited heavily, same as last year but flopped, but this year they seemed to have recruited real quality in blokes who are top notch GV players, Toquick seems to be pretty confident so would pencil them in as 2nd Favs at the moment.
Deni weren't far off the mark last year and will improve, Parsons has the midas touch, losing Holobrowski will hurt though.
And Cobram who were probably aiming for finals last year but missed the mark have opened up with 3 big signings, I just think they have too many of their best contributers well onto the other side of 30 and may not see too much improvement internally from the group they had last year, will need to get a couple more on paper before they would be aiming for the top bracket of the 6, finals will be within their sights though.
Can't see any of the bottom 4 sides from last year bridging the gap to play finals. 4 of the Top 6 from '08 came from the bottom 6 in '07, that won't happen again in '09.

It's been a while since you'se have struggled BB, you've obviously forgotten what it's like, here's abit of a reminder of what you've got to look forward to if you don't eventually buy players. . . . . . . You don't get as many people turning up to your games any more, moral within the playing group drops a little, numbers at training aren't as good as they once were, memberships drop off, sponsorships become tighter, the talented players you have that did stay are gonna ask for money (or more money), people doing things for free will be hard to come by as some people will even become too busy to help out there anymore.
As for playing finals, even with D.Butler on board, unless you get a hand full of QUALITY recruits i. . . . . No. . . . NO NO NO NO NO NO.
But you were right, you'se have had your time in the spotlight, any club would be happy with the amount of on feild success you've had.
But you need to be realistic. The last crop of "local" talent was freakish, but you'll never have that luxury again. that's no disrespect to your young lads but it's a fact. And after you've struggled for a little while, you'll get hungry for a premiership again (that's what it's all about anyways isn't it?).
I mean these are the problems faced by ever club every where. Don't think for one minute your immune because it'll just make your fall from grace all the more harder.

you make a good point gg, it is also hard to attract players to a club that doesnt look like it is going to pay finals, it is very common to hear these days "i just want to win a flag with a/my mate/s".
Have heard these exact words out of some of the ex echuca bombers players that are going to LBU and Pyramid.
Will be interesting to see how Nathalia FC handles these problems!

Think Barooga still has to be, Nathalia and Moama will both come back to the field which leaves them at the top alone, they haven't seemed to be as active on the recruiting front this off season, but I'm sure they will give themselves every chance after being so close for so long. The other 3 to make the Top 6 in Rumbalara, Tongala and Numurkah so far seem to be holding their spots, Rumba has been relatively quiet, Numurkah have lost some very good players but picked up some very good ones & Tongala haven't lost anyone but haven't picked up anyone.
The sides outside the Top 6 that could show up are Toc, recruited heavily, same as last year but flopped, but this year they seemed to have recruited real quality in blokes who are top notch GV players, Toquick seems to be pretty confident so would pencil them in as 2nd Favs at the moment.
Deni weren't far off the mark last year and will improve, Parsons has the midas touch, losing Holobrowski will hurt though.
And Cobram who were probably aiming for finals last year but missed the mark have opened up with 3 big signings, I just think they have too many of their best contributers well onto the other side of 30 and may not see too much improvement internally from the group they had last year, will need to get a couple more on paper before they would be aiming for the top bracket of the 6, finals will be within their sights though.
Can't see any of the bottom 4 sides from last year bridging the gap to play finals. 4 of the Top 6 from '08 came from the bottom 6 in '07, that won't happen again in '09.

I think you will find Barooga might just be flying under the radar a little bit with their recruiting. I know for a fact they have signed Cobram on baller Brennan Mills. I have also been told a couple of other names in which i cant remember though.

I think you will find Barooga might just be flying under the radar a little bit with their recruiting. I know for a fact they have signed Cobram on baller Brennan Mills. I have also been told a couple of other names in which i cant remember though.

Yeah as I said I'm sure they won't let this year slide by without giving themselves every opportunity. Only have to be as good as last year and they are ahead of everyone else.

Yeah as I said I'm sure they won't let this year slide by without giving themselves every opportunity. Only have to be as good as last year and they are ahead of everyone else.
With no notible departures im tipping they will be around the same mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back