Murray Football League - Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League (Part 5)

Has anyone herd the whisper going around the murray league that toc are looking for someone to merg with... is there any truth to it?

Maybe not a merger, but perhaps looking at a potential move to another league, along with another MFL club?

Why would they want to go to another league?? they were premiers last year and just because they are not having as good a year they want to leave!! Sounds a bit odd to me. Who is the othe team???

Why would they want to go to another league?? they were premiers last year and just because they are not having as good a year they want to leave!! Sounds a bit odd to me. Who is the othe team???
It's just a little rumour I've heard. I understand they won the flag last year but if you look at success over a longer period of time, from seniors right through reserves, thirds and fourths, it hasn't really been up there. It must be something to do with the red and white.

Does sound quite odd, but there fall from premiers last year has been a large one, they have not put competitive junior sides on the field for a few years and they are also really battling to field a reserves side. this combined with a large travelling contingent in the first grade side.

Does anyone know what league they would be looking to move to?

it could be for the best as a merger sounds unlikely i would be highly surprised if any other murray league club that is close Barooga or Finley would even entertain the idea. The hawks have no problem continually finding cash to throw at players and the cats with very strong junior ranks and the club seeming to be doing a great job in getting back ex locals i would find it stranger for a merge to occur

Maybe not a merger, but perhaps looking at a potential move to another league, along with another MFL club?

who is the other MFL club, there was talk a few years ago that finley wanted to ????

but i believe this idea was extremely strongly rejected by the majority at Finley

who is the other MFL club, there was talk a few years ago that finley wanted to ????

but i believe this idea was extremely strongly rejected by the majority at Finley

It was only a thought as other clubs, the main discussion was whether to 'drop' a league which was overwhelming rejected. Although Finley was struggling with the senior side, they had the 4ths play off in the 2007 granny and the 3rds are the reigning premiers. As a result the club could still see a future in the Murray League. I can't see that happening with Toc.

Who do they merge with? - well one of the local PDFL clubs you would think. What actual player numbers do Toc have to merge with? The only thing Toc could bring to the table is the no.1 ground in the area and fancy clubrooms!

Other clubs thinking of going to a different league? Echuca U & Tonny are the first ones that spring to mind based on there location/proximity to other leagues.

who is the other MFL club
It must be something to do with the red and white.
;)

Talk round the campfire, Echuca Utd ????
Other clubs thinking of going to a different league? Echuca U & Tonny are the first ones that spring to mind based on there location/proximity to other leagues.
I've heard some pretty promising news coming from the Echuca United camp, plus their reserves and juniors (besides the last couple of years without fourths) have been consistently strong for many years.

It was only a thought as other clubs, the main discussion was whether to `drop' a league which was overwhelming rejected. Although Finley was struggling with the senior side, they had the 4ths play off in the 2007 granny and the 3rds are the reigning premiers. As a result the club could still see a future in the Murray League. I can't see that happening with Toc.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Although, if the drought continues and other factors continue to impact upon the Finley township, the parents of the kids who would be playing juniors will leave the town and the club will struggle from the bottom up. In saying this, I think it's great with what has happened at the Finley FC, mainly in the seniors, this year. I hope, although I can't see it happening, it lasts for a few more years yet.

Who do they merge with? - well one of the local PDFL clubs you would think. What actual player numbers do Toc have to merge with? The only thing Toc could bring to the table is the no.1 ground in the area and fancy clubrooms!
I haven't heard any talk of mergers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really !!! is this due to there continued struggle with junior sides also? there senior side has yet to be a threat but are not usually at the bottom either
Continued struggle with juniors? How could you call four junior premierships (thirds and fourths) and numerous finals appearances a "continued struggle''? As I understand it, the reason the club hasn't been able to field a fourths side for this year and last year was due to a large number of top-aged fourths kids moving up to thirds at the end of the 2008 season and not many top-aged under 12s moving up to take their place in 2009. This was the case again at the start of this year, but I think the under 12s have had a very strong year this season with large numbers of kids available each week, so I would expect to see the under 14 Eagles running around the park next year.

Continued struggle with juniors? How could you call four junior premierships (thirds and fourths) and numerous finals appearances a "continued struggle''? As I understand it, the reason the club hasn't been able to field a fourths side for this year and last year was due to a large number of top-aged fourths kids moving up to thirds at the end of the 2008 season and not many top-aged under 12s moving up to take their place in 2009. This was the case again at the start of this year, but I think the under 12s have had a very strong year this season with large numbers of kids available each week, so I would expect to see the under 14 Eagles running around the park next year.

Umm 2 years in a row not fielding a fourths side that is an example of something that has continued, this then effects the other teams as they do not get to play that week, they really need to sort this situation out as 3 years running with no fourths would not be a good thing.

Has anyone herd the whisper going around the murray league that toc are looking for someone to merg with... is there any truth to it?

News Teller, it could not be more far from the truth. perhaps you should change your name to Story Teller for throwing that one out there.

Yes the Senoirs are having a rough year although if any side lost 13 of their premiership players it would be pretty hard to cover.

They also finished 3rd last, the year before they won their flag too. A week's a long time in footy and a year is even longer.
I think you'll find Toc will be a force to be reconded with again next year.

Unfortunatley the 3rds and 4ths have always struggled and the way the population is there i don't think that will change anytime soon.

As for merging, now that's even funnier. Keep them coming:D

News Teller, it could not be more far from the truth. perhaps you should change your name to Story Teller for throwing that one out there.

Yes the Senoirs are having a rough year although if any side lost 13 of their premiership players it would be pretty hard to cover.

They also finished 3rd last, the year before they won their flag too. A week's a long time in footy and a year is even longer.
I think you'll find Toc will be a force to be reconded with again next year.

Unfortunatley the 3rds and 4ths have always struggled and the way the population is there i don't think that will change anytime soon.

As for merging, now that's even funnier. Keep them coming:D
So Aussie I'm assuming your saying that at no stage has the club or anybody from the club shown any interest or discussed moving leagues or merging ?

I'll throw one out there that is going the other way to what the other clubs have been mentioned about.
Moama to the GV? thriving population growth, in the short to medium term could this be a possibility? You'd think they'd need to win a flag or two in the MFL first but with the size of the Echuca/Moama area you'd think it would be sustainable for two sides to be in the premier country league.

Really !!! is this due to there continued struggle with junior sides also? there senior side has yet to be a threat but are not usually at the bottom either

I played my last year of juniors at the club last year, in the senior club now.

2005 U14s we finished 3rd, 3 points off a Grand Final.
2006 U14s we finished 2nd, undefeated until the Grand Final loss by 9 points.
2007 U17s we finished 5th, lost the first elimination final.
2008 U17s we finished 3rd, beaten in the semi final against the eventual Premiers in Mul.
2009 U17s we finished 5th, lost the elimination final to prelminary finalists in Mul.

I wouldn't call that 'struggling juniors'; as mentioned we have had an unfortunate period where large crops of top-age kids have moved up to higher grades without the younger blokes coming through at the same time. We've had a very good U12s side this year, which should equate to an U14s side next year. The U17s will always field a side, generally most years the team is half made-up of kids coming from other junior clubs in the area.

I'll throw one out there that is going the other way to what the other clubs have been mentioned about.
Moama to the GV? thriving population growth, in the short to medium term could this be a possibility? You'd think they'd need to win a flag or two in the MFL first but with the size of the Echuca/Moama area you'd think it would be sustainable for two sides to be in the premier country league.

Has merit Hank!

I played my last year of juniors at the club last year, in the senior club now.

2005 U14s we finished 3rd, 3 points off a Grand Final.
2006 U14s we finished 2nd, undefeated until the Grand Final loss by 9 points.
2007 U17s we finished 5th, lost the first elimination final.
2008 U17s we finished 3rd, beaten in the semi final against the eventual Premiers in Mul.
2009 U17s we finished 5th, lost the elimination final to prelminary finalists in Mul.

I wouldn't call that 'struggling juniors'; as mentioned we have had an unfortunate period where large crops of top-age kids have moved up to higher grades without the younger blokes coming through at the same time. We've had a very good U12s side this year, which should equate to an U14s side next year. The U17s will always field a side, generally most years the team is half made-up of kids coming from other junior clubs in the area.

Very impressive, but i cannot remember a team in the last 15 years not entering a side let alone too years in a row, thats the point im getting at and with such a large population also, pretty poor IMO

Very impressive, but i cannot remember a team in the last 15 years not entering a side let alone too years in a row, thats the point im getting at and with such a large population also, pretty poor IMO
Kev there is an abundance of sides in junior football league from Echuca, which ends at under 16's , years ago when Echuca United were super strong and had heaps of junior players at under 14 level, Moama's players number didn't appear as high as they appear now !
There is debate that junior leagues, have no interest in developing players into senior players , and that junior players should be developed within traditional club enviroment and disperse of junior leagues , what's your thoughts ?

Any news on who will be the new MFL GM, I hear they might be struggling to find the right person, any-one heard anything on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back