CEN: Dale Thomas Dane Swan Sharrod Wellingham
HB: Nick Maxwell Ben Reid Heath Shaw
B: Harry O’Brien Simon Prestigiacomo Alan Toovey
FOLL: Darren Jolly Luke Ball Scott Pendlebury
BENCH: Dayne Beams Steele Sidebottom Tyson Goldsack Leigh Brown
EMG: Nathan Brown Ben Johnson Jarryd Blair
Unavailable: Brad Dick

*Few weeks early but I'd like to get some more thoughts on our optimal best 22*

Medhurst as I have been reporting over the past month has been in sensational form. This week he as ok without being a standout, but weeks previous has been sensational. Mick really has him sweating over his spot in the team, but I believe if he keeps up his current form and continues to push he might be able to get back into the side.

I see the best 22 staying very close to what it was tonight, though the one change I like is Paul Medhurst coming in to replace Ben Johnson. This is a big call and I expect to cop it from Benny Johnson fans because he has had one of his better recent seasons. Ben Johnson was outstanding in the 1st half of the season, but has dropped of allot in the 2nd half of the season with some ok efforts, but not sensational.

With the way the team was structured last night it was incredibly backline loaded and having a backline rotation of: Presti, Reid, O'Brien, Toovey, Goldsack, Maxwell, Shaw and Johnson is probably too backline focused in my view. Goldsack last night in my view really I felt earned his position in this team. He has confidence back in his ability and really plays a great role with the kickouts and is doing some fantastic things. So take Johnson out of that rotation and you still have allot of depth.

As for what is lose in taking Johnson out of the side in terms of our midfield rotation. It is still pretty deep. Having Ball, Pendlebury, Swan, Wellingham, Didak and Sidebottom rotating through I think that is pretty strong. Beams could spend some time in there, as could Davis for short periods to get him a little involved and give him a feel for the footy. Davis can impact games as we saw last year and I really like him more involved. With the inclusion of Medhurst who can provide pressure in the forwardline along with Macaffer it allows Davis to play mostly along the half forwardline where I think he can have more influence on the contest. He is great with the ball in his hands and in that role can still pressure, but also get more involved in the contest.

So the inclusion of Medhurst for Johnson would change the roles of a few players, but I see that a big positive as I believe these roles suit these players better. Last night our "weakness" if you like was clearly our forward and more firepower is what we need. Our defence rebounded superbly and just about all beat their men. Our midfield got on top allowing the ball game to be played primarily in our forward 50. With more firepower and in adding Medhurst we have another guy who can create, mark and pressure inside 50 which I believe to be a huge addition to this side. I don't see it happening next week, but give him another good week in the 2s and I think he should come in and replace Johnson.

As for other players who could come into question by some. Toovey has been consistent and does his job from week to week. Macaffer has been excellent up forward and with Dick not available for the finals he the correct guy to have inside 50. He is an excellent shot on goal (though he doesn't always show it) and his pressure is great and he has been excellent at putting a shot to the opposition clubs best rebounding defenders every week which is a big +. Leigh Brown has done clearly enough to earn his position in this side, he has made big strides as a footballer this season and is playing some fantastically consistent football. Shows real heart every time he sets foot on the field and bleeds black and white. Real enforcer who will always stand up for the club and a necessary guy this season who can relieve Jolly when he needs a rest, so ideal backup (because he doesn't take time away from Jolly in the ruck) who is also having an impact up forward.

Leon Davis many have a problem with and I know where their perception of him is coming from but in the role he has been playing for this team he has been doing his job. Playing as a small forward you can't expect to kick bags or 2-3 every week, his role in the side is to keep the ball inside our forward 50 and pressure the defenders as much as he can, and he has been doing a fine job of this. I think the approach the club is taking is correct where they are saying "Mate, you are in our best 22. Don't worry about anyone else. Just play this pressuring role, we believe in you." Is the right approach with him. A bit like Goldsack where when he knows the club has faith in his abilities he will play a good brand of footy. Being the personality type he is without a doubt this is the right approach and he deserves this patience in him in my view because I and I know the club believe that he can deliver.

Dawes and Cloke there might also be questions over from some. While Dawes is not performing as well as he was a few weeks back and Cloke has been ok without being exceptional both are best 22 guys and both structurally really important to the structure of this team.

Nathan Brown stands as the natural replacement for Ben Reid assuming he misses a few weeks. Been outstanding at VFL level all season and just needs to play at AFL level to establish himself and get entrenched with the speed and ability of the forwards at this level to adjust completely again.

Any more questions about my selection please let me know, question me. Whatever. And please add your own comments and views on how we should look going into September.

last nights side - a defender and + medhurst

lottery which defender it is, but it won't be Benny Johnson

Great call on BJ, he ain't going anywhere, he is a finals footballer if there ever was one. He got beat by Stokes early last night, but his second half was great, and he fought back like a trooper.

We don't need another defender, we just need our defenders not to get injured during games.

If Reid hadn't of broken down early on last night, our backline would have held up, but when he went down, Maxwell and Goldy had to play unfamiliar roles, which they didn't "adapt to" until the second half.

I'll stick by the 22 who played last night, but I'd like to see Meds, Lockyer, J-Mac, and even Fraser or Wood given a game before the finals just for "backup".

last nights side - a defender and + medhurst

lottery which defender it is, but it won't be Benny Johnson

In my view Medhurst for Johnson suits the chemistry of the team better than anything because the backline is really settled as is and out midfield as listed above and has enough grunt and horsepower to get the job done. This would leave us with a great mix of inside, outside mids, smalls and talls in all positions to cover any opposition. No speed compromised and no position compromised.

All the other defenders in my view have secured their respective positions in the team. Johnson, not so much and really has over the 2nd half of the season really always felt like the 22nd man. He is a fan favourite on this board, but there are players who have moved infront of him in my view.

Though all the selections are very close and as posted earlier Johnson retains his place in the side until Medhurst has another standout game in the VFL. So another week+ away just yet which still gives Johnson ample opportunities to stand out. But ultimately I see this how it should happen because Goldsack is playing supurb football and Toovey is fine because he can go with the smalls.

So what happens if we play Stkilda, Milne has beaten us every time Ben Johnson has not been playing.

That's the problem with picking a best 22, I don't think we actually have one against each of the other 3 premiership contedners.

Maybe against the Dogs, Johnson could miss, maybe against Geelong, Leon could miss, etc etc, but this is where our depth and flexibility may just be our biggest advantage in September.

Geelong, Stkilda and the Dogs have showed they have very little outside of their best 22-25 players, we simply can not say that, we probably hav closer to 30 players capable of playing in September.

I firmly believe we have to "tailor" our side for the opposition in September.

Team from last night without Davis, couple players could come in, Lockyer and Meds being the most likely.

Don't think we are too defender focused. I think with the amount that are in their it allows BJ and Heater to move into the midfield rotations more, which I think is more beneficial to the side then Davis at the moment.

IIRC there was a game earlier this year where both BJ and Heater didn't play and we really struggled with our run. If you take BJ out and Heater cops a hard tag and struggles then we could be in some trouble. If a defender does come out for a forward then it will be one of Tooves or Goldsack.

Loved seeing Benny Johnson hit Stevie 'Oscars' Johnson after he slung Heater after they were out of bounds. Shit like that needs to be free kicks, not the retribution following the dog acts.

Great call on BJ, he ain't going anywhere, he is a finals footballer if there ever was one. He got beat by Stokes early last night, but his second half was great, and he fought back like a trooper.

We don't need another defender, we just need our defenders not to get injured during games.

If Reid hadn't of broken down early on last night, our backline would have held up, but when he went down, Maxwell and Goldy had to play unfamiliar roles, which they didn't "adapt to" until the second half.

I'll stick by the 22 who played last night, but I'd like to see Meds, Lockyer, J-Mac, and even Fraser or Wood given a game before the finals just for "backup".

Like this :thumbsu:

So what happens if we play Stkilda, Milne has beaten us every time Ben Johnson has not been playing.

That's the problem with picking a best 22, I don't think we actually have one against each of the other 3 premiership contedners.

Maybe against the Dogs, Johnson could miss, maybe against Geelong, Leon could miss, etc etc, but this is where our depth and flexibility may just be our biggest advantage in September.

Geelong, Stkilda and the Dogs have showed they have very little outside of their best 22-25 players, we simply can not say that, we probably hav closer to 30 players capable of playing in September.

I firmly believe we have to "tailor" our side for the opposition in September.

Like this too.

Matty - you're doin it for me tonight!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Medhurst will struggle to get in if Macaffer keeps his form up. They are the two similar type players, the small blokes that play tall.

All season I have thought that Medhurst had that spot in the team locked in....that it was either Medhurst of J.Anthony for the alternate marking option. But Macaffer has gone past both of them.

Leon is a different player to Medhurst....Leon will get games based on his defensive forward pressure.

B.Johnson will play, he bleeds Collingwood, is a leader at the club you want those blokes playing for you in finals.

That was our best side.....

Medhurst, Anthony - Macaffer keeping them out
Fraser - L.Brown keeping him out
Lockyer - Sidebottom keeping him out
N.Brown - Reid keeping him out
O'Bree - Ball keeping him out
Blair/McCarthy - Goldsack keeping them out

Dick probably the only bloke who would force a bloke - Sidey/Davis - out of our team at the minute, but unfortunately he is gone for the year.

Personally I think Medhurst should be in this side and last night was a good example of that. The ball was in our attacking zone for double the amount of time it was in theirs and we won by 22 points. There were other issues like losing Reid, HITTING THE POST 6 TIMES FFS, heaps of rushed behinds, etc but the only thing we lack is a poacher who can be permanently stationed in the forward line. Medhurst is that. Yes he doesn't get as much ball as some others but as has been mentioned; Leon doesn't get the ball in big games and struggles for attacking impact in any game where he is isolated, Cloke can't kick for goal, Macaffer can't kick for goal, Dawes is used often more as a decoy than a key forward and Leroy isn't permanently in there (isn't a consistent kick for goal anyway).

Meds is a goal kicker, pure and simple and when the ball spends the majority of games in our forward line and we have accuracy issues, shouldn't this be a priority for us? I think Leon is a better player from wing-->half forward than he is from half forward-->forward pocket because his delivery is great and this is one of our weaknesses unless Didak or Pendlebury has the ball in their hands.

I think the change should be as follows;

OUT: Sidebottom
IN: Medhurst

Davis moves to Sidey's position on the half forward line and Meds steps into the forward pocket position Davis has been occupying. He must be instructed to chase and considering the fact that we continually bomb it in over Leon's head, I think Meds (who is actually good overhead) is a better option.

OUT: Sidebottom
IN: Medhurst

No way, Sidey is a consistent contributor. Davis is on his last legs, and if he doesn't perform in the last few rounds, or even the first final - he is GAWN. Ongoing liability in big games, he is shut out and gets the yips like a 10 gamer. If Medders can emulate Davis' forward tackling and pressure, then I'd say give him a shot.

That being said, Meds isn't an automatic inclusion. When was the last game he played? I can't even remember :confused:

No way, Sidey is a consistent contributor.
Sidey is hardly consistent yet, one week he will have 25, 6 tackles and a couple of goals....next week 15, 3 tackles, 1 goal.......next week kick 5 goals.

Like most young players Sidey is learning how to contribute when having an 'off' day.

Davis is on his last legs, and if he doesn't perform in the last few rounds, or even the first final - he is GAWN.
Last legs?? GAWN??

For fecks sake, he is 29, and was AA last year....

Ongoing liability in big games, he is shut out and gets the yips like a 10 gamer.
Yes, this is a concern. One thing Sidey brings to the table is performance in BIG finals....proved that last year and as a junior.

If Medders can emulate Davis' forward tackling and pressure, then I'd say give him a shot.
Huge IF, and wont happen....L.Davis is one of the best in the league.

That being said, Meds isn't an automatic inclusion. When was the last game he played? I can't even remember :confused:
Medhurst NEEDS a game or two before the finals. If he doesn't get a game surely he aint even in the finals picture.

Last legs?? GAWN??

For fecks sake, he is 29, and was AA last year....

I've been one of the most staunch supporters of Leon for years, including this season. What is becoming a little distressing is that while he is automatically in our 22 for H&A games - his lack of output in finals is an underrated concern. In a perfect world, Leon would play the same brand of football against Geelong in a GF as he does against West Coast, but he has never proved an ability to do so.

While I love him as a player, and a servant to the club, are we willing to risk it time and time again because he is such a good home and away player? Defensive pressure is what we're built around, so in that regard he's doing his fill, but he is getting beaten 1 on 1 way too easily in the big ones, and his snaps on goal which once were his bread and butter seem to be fading.

I despise being critical on players, and I generally keep my knee jerks to a minimum, but this definitely is a persistent issue.

I think out of that 22 Rusty is the most vulnerable to Medhursts inclusion. I think Davis is safe while his defensive pressure is there.

If it's a defender that makes way, and I hate to say it, but I think for balance it would be Goldsack.

Thats if any changes are made.

It's a tough call.

No way, Sidey is a consistent contributor. Davis is on his last legs, and if he doesn't perform in the last few rounds, or even the first final - he is GAWN. Ongoing liability in big games, he is shut out and gets the yips like a 10 gamer. If Medders can emulate Davis' forward tackling and pressure, then I'd say give him a shot.

No way is Sidey consistent, he has been quiet for a few weeks running now. He at least needs a rest.

Personally I just don't think Leon is a pocket anymore. He was all Australian as a midfield/forward and has been left to rot, out of form, out of position and untried in his best position this year with a few 5 minute exceptions.

I'm not saying Medhurst is an automatic selection either, just that I think he should be in. It's nice getting goals from midfield and we score heavily most of the time but in a big final, at a big moment late in a quarter I think I would feel more confident if one of our forwards was actually a goal scorer. We didn't score heavily enough last night considering our territorial dominance and that is because none of our forwards are consistent/natural goal scorers. Medhurst is that (Leon is sometimes, Didak always but he is a midfielder now). The reason I prefer Leon over Sidey at this stage is because I think he delivers it better and would get the opportunity to do this if he was playing higher. He also has more pace and has the ability to have a genuine impact if given a stint at the centre bounce.

Sidey may not be consistent week after week, but he consistently plays extremely well in high pressure situations, and does absolutely everything that's asked of him with very little margain for error. His possession count may fluctuate, but him and Beams work magic together and I trust him as much as any 200 gamer in our side when he has the ball in his hands.

Medhurst was anything BUT consistent while he was in the side though. He kicked 4 in round 1 and then disappeared for 2 weeks.

Ben Johnson won't be playing in the backline against the Cats again. That was a terrible game from him. Hopefully he was just having an off night.

Otherwise, no chance Johnson gets dropped. Too important to us.

As far as I'm concerned, Toovey can still go out now that the Sack is back.

Depending on who weplay, Leon can go for out for Medhurst. But odds are, we're playing the Dogs in the first final so Medhurst AND Davis need to play. They love the dogs those two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back