My new willow

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a kookaburra "the BEAST" this year. Probably the most powerful bat I've ever owned (I've used Puma - Millichamp and Hall) for the last 10 years. It's very soft (surface cracks already especially on the edges) but the rebound of the blade is unreal.

_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
Gary Nicholls IMO arent that good, they break too easily. Go for the lesser known brands like Newbrey, Willow Wizard and Fisher they are all good willows

Hi guys, new to the board (although have been part of catsclaw for bout a year)
and i agree completly with Tiger, i have a Fisher and it is an absolute beauty. Once im finished with this bat i will be looking for another one, or another hand crafted one from a little shop.
I'm also finding i really just dont like any of the new bats that are coming out from the better know brands, i like lighter bats and all the new bats seem to be quite heavy, or have poor pick-ups etc. also dont really like the shapes and desigens of the new factory made bats, but thats just my opinion.

(btw, i love the fact their is a cricket section on this site)

sword-fighter.jpg

That's the one I use (except the handle is purple - Lehmann-esque). Very good quality bat.

I don't like those bats with the fancy wood cut out of them on the back either.

ben.carbonaro said:
If you get them from the factory direct, does that mean you have a bat contract like the international and first-class players ?
If he's a domestic or international player, you'd like to think so. If not, then I doubt it.

However, there are some promising juniors and grade players who are sponsored so he could always be one of those.[/QUOTE]

You don't always have to be a sponsored player to get bats direct from the factory . Sometimes you just need a connection at the bat supplier , or even walk in off the street to pick a bat up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my new bat, the Gladius. I decided to start playing again this year after a five year absence from cricket, played my first game last weekend.

It cost me $199, I have usually gone for Kookaburra's but they always seem to break on me so I've decided to switch to Gray-Nicolls.

DaveMorro, I had a good look at the 'Monster', a very nice bat. A little pricey but you're right about the edges. CHUNKY! :thumbsu:

Gladius.gif

_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
only $199 for the gladius?

did you get it cheap or is it not one of the top of the range ones ?

It was reduced, not sure by how much. I don't think that it's the top of the range bat that Hayden uses, but it's very nice. The edges are very thick, not as thick as the 'Longbow' but still quite chunky. I had to attach my own toe guard aswell.

crowie said:
It was reduced, not sure by how much. I don't think that it's the top of the range bat that Hayden uses, but it's very nice. The edges are very thick, not as thick as the 'Longbow' but still quite chunky. I had to attach my own toe guard aswell.

Have you used it yet?

does it have a good middle?

_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
Have you used it yet?

does it have a good middle?

Yeah, Ive used it in the nets a few times and managed to score 16 with it last weekend. I'm a bit rusty so I was just happy to occupy the crease for a while (I was in for almost an hour). I hit two sweet fours and almost another if not for some great fielding.

IMO, the middle is very nice, the sweet spot covers a good area of the bat so even if it is a bit off the middle it can still be a very nice shot.

ive previusly had a Gm Diamond, GM Classic and then a Puma mirage which all have cracked and split from the bottom upwards. last season got a SS Ton which has been a beauty reccomend it to anyone bloody good middle on them

My favourite bat of all time had to be the original Millichamp and hall's, back when they were sold only in Perth, before they were bought by Puma. During the '89 ashes tour 11 of the 16 Aussies were actually using them, with their bat sponsor's stickers of course. Incredibly good bats. I don't play anymore so I can't comment, but for me they were far and away the best bats of the time.

sting said:
However, there are some promising juniors and grade players who are sponsored so he could always be one of those.

sting said:
You don't always have to be a sponsored player to get bats direct from the factory . Sometimes you just need a connection at the bat supplier , or even walk in off the street to pick a bat up!

Geez... would be great if I had one of those.

How did you get your contacts, Sting ?

bombersno1 said:
The one that I have is the V900 PRO, the one that Clarke uses!

No, the one with V900 Pro stickers on it mate.

None of the players actually use the bats... they just put stickers on bats they have made for them.

For example, Ricky Ponting is rumoured that he uses Fisher bats... but has Kookaburra stickers on them.

ben.carbonaro said:
If you get them from the factory direct, does that mean you have a bat contract like the international and first-class players ?

Na I dont have a sponsorship. Connected up through my grade club. Hopefully I'll be up for one soon :p . A lot of guys in our club have the Impala's because of the connections, and most of our 1s players are sponsored by Impala.

The bloke I get them from also makes the Sommers bats as well, including Bevo's one.

ben.carbonaro said:
None of the players actually use the bats... they just put stickers on bats they have made for them.

For example, Ricky Ponting is rumoured that he uses Fisher bats... but has Kookaburra stickers on them.
Where the heck did you get that idea from? Ricky Ponting's bat (Kahuna) has the sticker on it because it actually is a Kahuna bat, made by Kookaburra - who he is sponsored by.

Remove this Banner Ad

My new willow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back