My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 23 the top 8 have a bye before finals. Easy. Done.

Bottom 10 play off with 9th v 10th, 11th v 12th, etc. And create some sort of small incentive for these teams to want to play attractive, high scoring footy.
eg. Some payment from the AFL to each team that can score 25% more than their season average points for or something.

Never saw Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn go nuts resting 10 players.. hasn't stopped them from winning multiple flags in recent years. Freo I can sort of understand resting some players. But North..

2011 round 24 Hawks rested Burgoyne, Birchall, Franklin, Hodge, Lewis, Rioli and Sewell.

2011 round 24 Hawks rested Burgoyne, Birchall, Franklin, Hodge, Lewis, Rioli and Sewell.

And won. Like I said before, carlton are playing their worst possible team through injury etc, wed have to work hard to select a team to get teven money on the match

So what happens if five teams do it next year ?

And won. Like I said before, carlton are playing their worst possible team through injury etc, wed have to work hard to select a team to get teven money on the match

So what happens if five teams do it next year ?

Was just pointing out Hawthorn rested players. Gold Coast were even shitter than Carlton are now in 2011.

If 5 teams do it next year then hopefully the AFL sees the light and schedules a week off between round 23 and finals.

You know they'll come up with something completely unnecessarily complicated though with a rule that gives each player a rating, and if that rating adds up to over 45 beans you lose 50 draft pick points which is a late round pick, but you can buy it back if you drop down in the third round and don't bid on academy players.

Freo and north are gambling on being able to blitz their week one finals opponent with fresh to get over the line.

How is that a gamble? It's going into finals with injured player vs going into finals with uninjured players.

How about leaving it the way it is and then you just come first with no possible way of losing that position, OR, just STFU
But you are essentially pushing a win onto the power who may have otherwise likely lost. This means they finish higher on the ladder than they otherwise should have thereby losing a better draft pick.

Allowing this in any form actually impacts the draft also.

If North lose their first final it will be Scotts head on the line.
If Fremantle dont win the flag it is Lyons head.
100%

Didn't resting players 2 years ago not work out so well for Ross? And North? They can't afford to lose games, they don't have a winning culture per say.

If these 2 teams bomb out I don't think teams will be rushing to have mass "player management" so close to the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 5 teams do it next year then hopefully the AFL sees the light and schedules a week off between round 23 and finals.

You know they'll come up with something completely unnecessarily complicated though with a rule that gives each player a rating, and if that rating adds up to over 45 beans you lose 50 draft pick points which is a late round pick, but you can buy it back if you drop down in the third round and don't bid on academy players.

this is an extremely rare situation where 2 teams have nothing to gain by winning in the final round. 5 of 8 finalists aren't just gonna have their positions set in stone so much that the games are meaningless. it's usually only the top team that has this luxury. north's position isn't even set in stone either, they just have the unique situation where they stay at home by finishing lower. please don't act like this is gonna become some every year trend.

Didnt help them win the flag that year!
in that year they weren't as good as collingwood or geelong. how they were even within a kick of that collingwood side (statistically one of the greatest regular season sides of all time) is beyond me

100%

Didn't resting players 2 years ago not work out so well for Ross? And North? They can't afford to lose games, they don't have a winning culture per say.

If these 2 teams bomb out I don't think teams will be rushing to have mass "player management" so close to the finals.

2 years ago freo went on the rd to beat geelong then destroyed sydney in what many people call the greatest pressure game of all time and played well in the GF but lost to a superior team by not kicking straight. hardly a failure. in fact that was as close as lyons dockers have been to beating hawks outside of perth...

as for north they're just not a premiership calibre team and haven't been since carey left. period. a bit of extra rest won't change that.

2 years ago freo went on the rd to beat geelong then destroyed sydney in what many people call the greatest pressure game of all time and played well in the GF but lost to a superior team by not kicking straight. hardly a failure. in fact that was as close as lyons dockers have been to beating hawks outside of perth...

as for north they're just not a premiership calibre team and haven't been since carey left. period. a bit of extra rest won't change that.
But they still lost. Maybe if their legs weren't so relaxed from the week off before the finals they would've kicked truer and won the flag?

There is not a problem ..? So no solution needed

I would do the same if I was freo and North .....

If it helps you win Next week then it's fine ....freo did it and won....did they win the flag? No but that can't be blamed on resting players in 23

If they hadn't done that they wouldn't have made the grand final ....

To the crows whingers .....that's the way the cookie crumbles

My solution to this
What crap?

There would of been outrage from the insular Victorians, if North Melbournes request was denied (it should of been) and Fremantles allowed (as it should of been)

Fremantles decision does not effect the make up of the eight, north Melbourne does. Rule is clear and fine, its the people officiating it, that are the problem.

Never saw Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn go nuts resting 10 players.. hasn't stopped them from winning multiple flags in recent years. Freo I can sort of understand resting some players. But North..
Hawthorn rested nearly that many in 2011 v GC in the last round, and won only by a couple of goals. Clarkson rang McKenna that week and apologetically told him that's what they would do in preparation for the finals. Didn't help, incidentally. And if you believe Geelong supporters, every loss during the golden years was due to the resting of players...

What crap?

There would of been outrage from the insular Victorians, if North Melbournes request was denied (it should of been) and Fremantles allowed (as it should of been)

Fremantles decision does not effect the make up of the eight, north Melbourne does. Rule is clear and fine, its the people officiating it, that are the problem.

Why should freo be allowed to rest but their opponents sydney in week one not ? Its either all or none to me

Remove this Banner Ad

My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back