My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

What crap?

There would of been outrage from the insular Victorians, if North Melbournes request was denied (it should of been) and Fremantles allowed (as it should of been)

Fremantles decision does not effect the make up of the eight, north Melbourne does. Rule is clear and fine, its the people officiating it, that are the problem.
You can't make up rules for one team different to another based upon this week, when the entire point of the resting of players is preparation for future games. In any case, you need to have more faith in your team, bud...

Personally I don't get all the discussion about it. You have a squad of X amount of players and teams should be able to play whoever from that squad they like.

The AFL talk about integrity! That's a bit rich.

When the AFL develop a fairer fixture and stop with all the different allowances for different clubs, then I'll be happy for this to be a discussion.

You can't make up rules for one team different to another based upon this week, when the entire point of the resting of players is preparation for future games. In any case, you need to have more faith in your team, bud...

Trade Ban disagrees

I hope it becomes a tradition that rd 23 is a complete lucky dip with all the squad members you normally never get to see.
My solution is to make round 23 youth round. Teams are encouraged to play young blokes if they earn it. Bottom teams aren't mocked for tanking because every bottom team is doing it. Playing the young blokes in the last game would also give soon to be delisted hacks something to tell the grand kids.

If you want to pick your full side, so be it but fans know about it long before the last round and factor it in. If you're relying on a top team to get knocked off to move up, bad luck, should have won more games earlier.

Hawthorn rested nearly that many in 2011 v GC in the last round, and won only by a couple of goals. Clarkson rang McKenna that week and apologetically told him that's what they would do in preparation for the finals. Didn't help, incidentally. And if you believe Geelong supporters, every loss during the golden years was due to the resting of players...
To be fair GC were an under 18's side!

Why should freo be allowed to rest but their opponents sydney in week one not ? Its either all or none to me
sydney are allowed to rest. of course if they did that and lost they'd probably drop to 5th - which is why they can't afford to rest. freo has a meaningless game because they've been the most consistent side this season. the rest is their reward.

I feel a bit of sympathy for Adelaide this time around because of the tragic circumstances with Walsh that they play 1 game less.

As for the other cry babies. Get better and put yourself in Fremantle's position next year.

Sydney can choose to rest if they want.

Its just luck that freo and north cannot drop a position, the next team being more than one win behind. Its as much to do with the next teams results as theres.

I dont go with the'weve earned it stuff

sydney are allowed to rest. of course if they did that and lost they'd probably drop to 5th - which is why they can't afford to rest. freo has a meaningless game because they've been the most consistent side this season. the rest is their reward.

If sydney were fourth and the fifth team more than a win behind, they could rest. Its just luck, its not earned at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its just luck that freo and north cannot drop a position, the next team being more than one win behind. Its as much to do with the next teams results as theres.

I dont go with the'weve earned it stuff

Well for starters it's not luck. You play 22 rounds and if the opportunity presents itself then so be it. If WCE or Hawks had been right up our clacker then we wouldn't be resting.

Earned it is a silly call. All teams try their best, but Fremantle simply can. Norths situation slightly different in that there's greater impact.

Also not trying to be overly one eyed but Fremantle do travel every second week and again not saying they deserve it more but the players would genuinely be greater affected by all the miles.

Just have a week off before the finals.

Adding a week off before the finals is the kind of bandaid fix that the AFL would do. But it doesn't get to the root cause of the issue.

Teams are trying to gain advantage over their opponents.

If they implemented this then clubs will just rest their players for two weeks (round 22 and the week off), because its one more than their opponents.

They never looked like threatening last year.

We lost our preferred backline at the worst possible time last year and yet if it weren't for stupid kicking in the first half, we still could've made a prelim. We would have very cooked vs the Hawks at the G, though, I'll give you that. Do you even watch football games outside of your team's?

Why were we cooked? Because we dropped early games and had to win every game in the lead up to the Finals. That was Geelong-Hawthorn-Brissy-Port. We had to play flat out to get 4th spot.

So this year, why would we not take advantage of having points in hand to try a strategy that had clearly worked for us in the past?

As for OP, I think a bye before the finals, as many have already said, is an excellent idea. It's the perfect reset, and allows the AFL to schedule the games as they want without worrying about travel or number of days between games leading up to week 1.

Well for starters it's not luck. You play 22 rounds and if the opportunity presents itself then so be it. If WCE or Hawks had been right up our clacker then we wouldn't be resting.

Earned it is a silly call. All teams try their best, but Fremantle simply can. Norths situation slightly different in that there's greater impact.

Also not trying to be overly one eyed but Fremantle do travel every second week and again not saying they deserve it more but the players would genuinely be greater affected by all the miles.

My point is you should be able to rest players, no priovisos, or not at all.

Hawks could rest a whole lot more players because they play carlton who are decimated. But the stuff about ,not improving finals draw is just subjective. Imagine if the afl did refuse one team but not another on what would be very subjective circumstances

All or nothing

If sydney were fourth and the fifth team more than a win behind, they could rest. Its just luck, its not earned at all

if they had beaten geelong, richmond or bulldogs they would have top 4 locked up. freo won enough games that's whey have an unasailable lead. do i really need to explain this????

We lost our preferred backline at the worst possible time last year and yet if it weren't for stupid kicking in the first half, we still could've made a prelim. We would have very cooked vs the Hawks at the G, though, I'll give you that. Do you even watch football games outside of your team's?

Why were we cooked? Because we dropped early games and had to win every game in the lead up to the Finals. That was Geelong-Hawthorn-Brissy-Port. We had to play flat out to get 4th spot.

So this year, why would we not take advantage of having points in hand to try a strategy that had clearly worked for us in the past?

As for OP, I think a bye before the finals, as many have already said, is an excellent idea. It's the perfect reset, and allows the AFL to schedule the games as they want without worrying about travel or number of days between games leading up to week 1.

Good points but they wont give NRL free air

I'd also argue it isn't so much about resting but making sure a player doesn't get injured that compromises their finals. So the reason is obviously two-fold.

Imagine if Fremantle went to Port full strength and Sandilands copped a season ending injury. I mean some would argue that's football, but for a game that means little... well it would obviously be beyond frustrating.

Lastly, it's amazing how many teams outside the 8 have players who duck off for operations etc early. What's the difference there? How many teams in the 8 have had players decide to go with their surgery before the seasons over? The numbers would obviously be overwhelmingly in the clubs missing finals bracket.

Hawks have had a couple resting recently. Would Sam Mitchel have missed a couple of games ago if it was a final?

if they had beaten geelong, richmond or bulldogs they would have top 4 locked up. freo won enough games that's whey have an unasailable lead. do i really need to explain this????

They won them Ok, but if eagles had won one more, its not there. Its as much to do with the eagles as freo

Im not saying they shouldnt do it, just that teams shuoldnt need to get approval from AFL

They can all do it, or none can do it

I am not sure how you can legislate against it. Freo didn't have to be so open about it. They could just argue that their 11 players were all injured and not able to play. What could the AFL do?

But it might become an issue if, say, the teams in 4th and 5th were on equal points and within a few percentage points of each other. Say Freo is playing one of those teams this week. It could be seen to be manipulating who it plays in week 1 of the finals. Would it be OK then?

I am not sure of the answer, but if the AFL has condoned it this time around, how can they act against it in the future when the scenario is a little different?

Remove this Banner Ad

My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back