My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

first and foremost this is a competition. 'this aint reality TV' to quote jack nicholson - north's obligation to entertain the crowd comes second to it's obligation to it's fans to give itself the best chance of winning.

now i know there's a rule that says 'can't manipulate ladder position etc' but you'll find it very hard to convince a jury that the two oldest lists in the competition are resting players primarily for tanking and not because of health reasons...

"north's obligation to entertain the crowd comes second to it's obligation to it's fans to give itself the best chance of winning'

They have failed to adhere to that for tonight's match. They have decided to manipulate positions for a match next week, that is not good for the integrity of the game.

Last edited:
"north's obligation to entertain the crowd comes second to it's obligation to it's fans to give itself the best chance of winning'

They have failed to adhere to that for tonight's match. They have decided to manipulate positions for a match next week, that is not good for the integrity of the game.

perhaps. but they obviously believe this strategy gives them the best chance to win a flag.

brad scott is the decision maker and he will be judged on how close he gets his team to the flag. a first round exit in the finals could mean his job. the crows are the last of his concerns.

perhaps. but they obviously believe this strategy gives them the best chance to win a flag.

brad scott is the decision maker and he will be judged on how close he gets his team to the flag. a first round exit in the finals could mean his job. the crows are the last of his concerns.

Brad Scott is wrong, the difference is his team finished 8th after a 23 round H&A qualifying season.
They have decided to effectively "throw" this game in order to manipulate the ladder positions in their favour which will see them remain in Melbourne next week. Fremantle finished well clear on top and will not affect any other position in the top 8.
You give yourself the best chance of winning the flag by finishing higher up the ladder. The Crows play a 50/50 game down at Geelong, but they are favourites to win, what North have done here is take out an insurance policy knowing fully well an under strength team will be trying, but they cannot win.

How is that a gamble? It's going into finals with injured player vs going into finals with uninjured players.
bold-strategy-cotton.jpg

Brad Scott is wrong, the difference is his team finished 8th after a 23 round H&A qualifying season.
They have decided to effectively "throw" this game in order to manipulate the ladder positions in their favour which will see them remain in Melbourne next week. Fremantle finished well clear on top and will not affect any other position in the top 8.
You give yourself the best chance of winning the flag by finishing higher up the ladder. The Crows play a 50/50 game down at Geelong, but they are favourites to win, what North have done here is take out an insurance policy knowing fully well an under strength team will be trying, but they cannot win.

yes you won't see me necessarily agreeing with the strategy. winning form is good form. but these guys get paid to make those calls. and i don't think that there should be different rules depending on who the opponent is. if teams are 'allowed' to rest players then all teams are allowed to rest players. and there's always the chance that sydney don't take the game seriously and fall to 5th. chris scott is gambling no doubt but i don't think we want the AFL to have a say in which players get selected. i mean i thought we defeated fascism in the ww2 lol

It's all in the interpretation (and this is mine).

The rules are referring to "a Club's position on the ladder" and is to the exclusion of all other clubs (position is the variable here, not Club's), so the rule is for the particular club in question in isolation.

The game is tonight, and win or lose North Melbourne do not necessarily get an easier draw in the finals and relies on the results of two other games (and an unlikely result) to determine if they travel or not. The argument here seems to be more that it means that Adelaide don't get a home final vs. whether or not North have to travel.

For me, the rules allow for a team "rest" who they want as long as THEY don't change positions to get a more favorable draw in the finals. If this affects other teams or gives another team a worse draw that is their problem.

If the games were reversed and if the bulldogs game (and depending on the result of that game) was before the Richmond/North and North then knew for sure that they would need to travel, then it could be argued (and rightly so) that North were manipulating it's position to improve its finals draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on TFs they just suggested scrapping round 22. But then theyd just play games, resting etc in round 21

My solution to this and the inbuilt inequity in the home and away is to play the first week of the finals over two weeks. Each team in each final players one of the legs at home, euro soccer style.

Freo and north are gambling on being able to blitz their week one finals opponent with fresh to get over the line.
Not quite so sure a strategy it they then have to back up with a second game. Higher ranksed team gets to choose whether to play home or away the first game
**** that soccer shit. This is our game, Australian made.

Remove this Banner Ad

My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back